Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok 2022

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2022, 2:53 am

Programs: BA Blue, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
I found the Gold line most helpful in rebooking just now (and I got through on the phone in less than five seconds). The QR rebooking arrangement does indeed currently only run until 29 Oct, but there are other options
Are there? They told me refund was only option if i didn't want to wait for the potential Qatar rebooking option,.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 2:53 am

Programs: BAEC
Whilst it's poor of BA to not have rebooking policy in place when Ops actually push the button to cancel a flight, this is not an unusual occurrence. Sit tight for a few days, let the dust settle, and a policy will usually be available within a couple of days.

As far as I can see from the feedback above its not that BA are refusing to reroute anyone, just that they need time to get a policy in place that call centre staff can use to progress your request.

Agree with the comment to avoid CX at all costs at the moment, not only are the schedules subject to change, a transit through HKG puts you at risk of a quarantine if something goes wrong.
SKT-DK likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 2:59 am
formerly JackDann

Originally Posted by nomadabroad
As soon as they cancel the flight they have the obligation to offer a full refund or re-routing including possibly to other carriers.
When requesting for a re routing via QR beware that some BKK flights are operating with QR’s oldest A330s so I would do your research beforehand and take the A380 flights instead (BKK is 2x daily A380 + 1x daily whatever aircraft QR has on the day but usually A330 )
Second this - when BA cancelled my LHR-SIN in F I was put on QR and rerouted to HKT, had F from LHR-DOH but was then on the A330 to HKT... When you've paid for an F ticket and end up in J on that A330 it is slightly disappointing!

Looks like the A380 DOH-BKK is only up until a certain date, not available January.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 3:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold
Just spoke to a lovely lady who explained my options for travelling in November. As discussed above the Qatar policy is only up until 29th October and was last updated early May, but they could book onto any Finnair or Japan Airlines options. As my tickets were singles I booked the return on Finnair as it matched our current flight times best, and hoping to call back when Qatar becomes available to rebook the outbound.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 3:15 am

Originally Posted by dalbyl
Just spoke to a lovely lady who explained my options for travelling in November. As discussed above the Qatar policy is only up until 29th October and was last updated early May, but they could book onto any Finnair or Japan Airlines options. As my tickets were singles I booked the return on Finnair as it matched our current flight times best, and hoping to call back when Qatar becomes available to rebook the outbound.
Interesting, i was told Finnair wasn't an option but maybe that's because I'm on a companion voucher .. I guess when i phone up next time I'll ask for that as well...
Old Jul 20, 2022, 3:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold
I was on a Companion Voucher too, but they were booked separately as both were done at T-355. Am gold and spoke to someone on the gold line 30 mins ago.

On a slightly related note, sure I can find it somewhere otherwise, but how do you select seats for free on Finnair? On their manage my booking page it's asking me for lots of Thai Baht in exchange. I'm gold and my wife is silver.

Originally Posted by Eskimoboy
Interesting, i was told Finnair wasn't an option but maybe that's because I'm on a companion voucher .. I guess when i phone up next time I'll ask for that as well...
Old Jul 20, 2022, 3:28 am

Originally Posted by dalbyl
I was on a Companion Voucher too, but they were booked separately as both were done at T-355. Am gold and spoke to someone on the gold line 30 mins ago.

On a slightly related note, sure I can find it somewhere otherwise, but how do you select seats for free on Finnair? On their manage my booking page it's asking me for lots of Thai Baht in exchange. I'm gold and my wife is silver.
Thanks, mine is actually a one way flight on a companion voucher. As I'm only a Blue maybe there just aren't as many options for me. I'll definitely mention Finnair as well next time I phone up. last thing I want/need is a refund
Old Jul 20, 2022, 3:37 am

Hello all, I am on an Amex 2 for 1 for January 2023. I just went on chat to try my luck at rerouting. The guy offered us QR flights in the same class on the same dates and I have taken them. The flights are showing on BA MMB and on Qatar MMB. So you can change them now. I priced the same flights up on the Qatar website and they are Ł10.5K!
Old Jul 20, 2022, 3:38 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by jumpfrog
The same thing happened to us in January and we were re routed on Qatar. It was an economy cash fare. This time we are on a 2-4-1 in CW. Are BA still required to re route us in business? I have looked at various options and Cathay looks good with a short layover in Hong Kong.
They rerouted me onto QR (also 241) for a flight in Apr, think I organised it in Feb for a booking that was cancelled in Nov(?). Was stated as a commercial booking so no need for award availability.
Of course the policy could have changed....
Old Jul 20, 2022, 3:39 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
Just got off phone with BA as our bkk flight 2-4-1 now showing as cancelled ( even though we all knew the route had been dropped a few months ago). Had same answer as above and told we need to wait for a new agreement with QR which should be finalised in about a week. What is the likelihood this will happen as no other rebooking options till then. Just don’t want to wait till early November to find out only refunds offered.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 3:45 am
formerly JackDann

Originally Posted by fdem
Just got off phone with BA as our bkk flight 2-4-1 now showing as cancelled ( even though we all knew the route had been dropped a few months ago). Had same answer as above and told we need to wait for a new agreement with QR which should be finalised in about a week. What is the likelihood this will happen as no other rebooking options till then. Just don’t want to wait till early November to find out only refunds offered.
I'd say it will happen - as has been mentioned it is BA's responsibility to re-book you and get you to your destination, so even if only refunds are being offered then be assured that you can re-book and claim the money back.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 3:57 am

I flew to BKK a couple of weeks ago and in order to get enough Tier Points to take me to Gold I went with MH via KUL in their business suite. On landing in BKK and walking to passport control it was rather frustrating to pass a BA flight crew who had just landed a BA 777 obviously just with cargo !
Old Jul 20, 2022, 4:09 am

Programs: QRPC, BAEC
Do not settle for a refund , gets BA off the hook easily. Technically speaking they are obliged to offer a comparable rerouting as first option, refund is only a second best option if all else fails in regards to rerouting. Quote the below to the agent and kindly ask them to be re-routed to QR or Finnair as per their obligations. The agent is going against policy by NOT offering you a re routing and only offering a refund - they are likely just trying to take the easy route out of this mess. Be persistent and hold your ground.

4.1 When identifying re-routing options under Article 8(1)(b), airlines will often be able to identify a number of potential re-routing options. The CAA’s view is that, in such cases, in order to avoid further disruption to the journey plans of affected passengers, when offering the choice between the three options10 under Article 8(1)(a), (b) and (c), airlines should always seek to offer the affected passengers the re-routing option under Article 8(1)(b) which re-routes the passengers on the same day as their original flight and via the same route11. If this is impossible12, airlines should seek to identify alternative re-routing options under Article 8(1)(b) which minimise the disruption to the journey plans of affected passengers.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 4:18 am

Programs: BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by plunet
Whilst it's poor of BA to not have rebooking policy in place when Ops actually push the button to cancel a flight, this is not an unusual occurrence. Sit tight for a few days, let the dust settle, and a policy will usually be available within a couple of days.

As far as I can see from the feedback above its not that BA are refusing to reroute anyone, just that they need time to get a policy in place that call centre staff can use to progress your request.

Agree with the comment to avoid CX at all costs at the moment, not only are the schedules subject to change, a transit through HKG puts you at risk of a quarantine if something goes wrong.
I have spoken to BA twice now today as I wanted a second opinion. On neither occasion was there any mention of a rerouting policy yet to be implemented for post 29/10. I was just told that all QR flights BKK-DOH-LHR in J were sold out on 1 of the legs (31/10 +/- 48 hours). I could fly DOH-LGW on BA but that's no good when I need to get to LHR.

As this is my first ever paid trip in J, I'm determined to get what I paid for.

What's particularly frustrating is that I could book online via SIN and come home on a BA flight but when I asked for this option, was told I couldn't book it.

Having read the very useful extract of EU/UK261 upthread, I'm now ready to call a 3rd time and use it to put pressure on them.

Last edited by wb1969; Jul 20, 2022 at 5:23 am
Old Jul 20, 2022, 4:28 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
There is no specific BKK policy yet - I am sure there will be something soon tho.

The general QR rebooking policy that does exist for long haul cancellations only covers ticketed travel dates up to 29 Oct 2022, and where new travel dates are up to and including 29 Oct 2022. It does cover UK to Thailand though. It does not require same selling class availability, the agent should just use the lowest available selling class in the same cabin. For rewards F and CW passengers may be booked into I class under the QR flight number, and where not possible they would be booked in economy in X selling class. WTP and WT reward passengers would be rebooked in economy in X selling class.

If you have BKK flights this winter I don't see any point calling atm to get rebooked until there is a rebook policy in place. Until then you are just wasting your time.

Moving to SIN is very unlikely, it is about 3x beyond the change of gateway allowance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.