Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok 2022

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2021, 4:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold. Hilton Diamond
Bangkok 2022

Hello, does anyone know if Bangkok is permanently cancelled from 27 March 2022 or are the timetables still being fine tuned? Seems strange as Hong Kong/Singapore are both running beyond March 27. Also, it’s a bit odd that the last outbound is March 26 (arrives March 27) but there’s no inbound on March 27. Many thanks in advance.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Presumably Summer 2022 schedules aren’t quite fine tuned yet. Fingers crossed it’ll resume with better flight times!
The_Editor and imkevinmc like this.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 6:33 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Presumably Summer 2022 schedules aren’t quite fine tuned yet. Fingers crossed it’ll resume with better flight times!
And an F cabin
Old Apr 10, 2021, 7:35 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by johnaalex
And an F cabin
Keep dreaming!
johnaalex and redadeco like this.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by PlaneSpeaking
Also, it’s a bit odd that the last outbound is March 26 (arrives March 27) but there’s no inbound on March 27.
This is an indication that at the moment the "schedule" for northern winter 2021/22 may be more of a placeholder than a firm plan to operate this route, and that as things stand at present northern summer 2022 is not happening (rather than just being fine-tuned). As we know from the past year, anything can happen and everything can change, but that's how I would read the curent situaton. The contrast to HKG and SIN is instructive, given that northern summer 2022 schedules have actually been filed for those routes.
Cymro and PlaneSpeaking like this.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Thanks Globaliser, very useful.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 10:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Not even BA knows what’s going on in 2022!
Old Apr 10, 2021, 10:34 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
I would be very surprised if BKK would not come back once Thailand eases entry restrictions - whenever that may be. It may not be the most profitable route for pax traffic despite demand, but is always heavy on cargo (they even fly three times a day for cargo only recently).

And if it does not come back then there goes by main option for flying BA
Old Apr 11, 2021, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by SKT-DK
I would be very surprised if BKK would not come back once Thailand eases entry restrictions - whenever that may be. It may not be the most profitable route for pax traffic despite demand, but is always heavy on cargo (they even fly three times a day for cargo only recently).
In ‘normal’ times it may be busy for cargo but the yields are poor - there’s a lot of competition on big jets into Thailand. At the moment competition is muted (and BA has nothing else to do with the aircraft) so the economics are totally different.

I do agree it would likely return for tourist traffic in the short term. But what would really support BKK in the long run is if people started paying a bit more: it’s consistently the poorest yielding of BA’s Asian routes.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 6:32 am

Surely S22 schedules would be essentially precovid schedules loaded a year out and tweaked nearer the time so interesting BKK isn’t bookable for S22, I would have expected it to be there, as with SIN etc and then maybe removed nearer the time if needs be.
PlaneSpeaking likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 7:18 am

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Will be interesting to see if they consider reopening BKK for HKT connections (or just opening HKT direct). Current plans are for HKT to open July 1st to vaccinated travellers and later, other areas depending on the success of HKT and the percentage of local population vaccinated.

Given how popular TH is with U.K. tourists and the number of vaccinated persons in U.K. by then, it could be a goer. Bog competition with the ME3 to HKT but perhaps there could be a market if BA can fly direct.
SW7London likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 8:04 am
Original Poster

My thinking too Speedbirdsouth, hence this post. All very odd, particularly as the outbound on March 26 apparently isn’t scheduled to return. You’d think they’d want their Dreamliner back!
Old Apr 11, 2021, 8:05 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Originally Posted by pogonation
Will be interesting to see if they consider reopening BKK for HKT connections (or just opening HKT direct). Current plans are for HKT to open July 1st to vaccinated travellers and later, other areas depending on the success of HKT and the percentage of local population vaccinated.

Given how popular TH is with U.K. tourists and the number of vaccinated persons in U.K. by then, it could be a goer. Bog competition with the ME3 to HKT but perhaps there could be a market if BA can fly direct.
Yep the re-opening doesn't allow for transit in BKK for HKT, so I gather TG is looking at LHR-HKT-BKK & vv or flying all the way through LHR-BKK-HKT on the same plane without anybody disembarking in BKK if it meets restrictions. I would be surprised not to see a direct UK-Phuket flight operating from winter schedules on one airline or another....
Old Apr 11, 2021, 8:10 am

HKT non-stop would certainly be attractive to some but I would assume, HKT would be low yielding and those who are price sensitive, would take the indirect route to save a few quid.

I wonder if a densified, low J, LGW 777 could work best. Or test the water from LHR with a 788
Old Apr 11, 2021, 8:22 am

If LHRBKK on 26/3 is the last flight then possibly that flight will have a spare crew (POSTECH and POSCAB) on board and the aircraft can return immediately, positioning empty back into LHR. Or would BA not position a new crew out a few days earlier to then bring the aircraft back, not sure.

or I could be talking twaddle

I know it’s unusual but I know that when the US first had restrictions on UK citizens entering back at the end of March 2020 the same thing happened, a new crew positioned out and brought the aircraft straight back.

rather than being dropped, possibly could be a seasonal service, winter only.

Originally Posted by PlaneSpeaking
My thinking too Speedbirdsouth, hence this post. All very odd, particularly as the outbound on March 26 apparently isn’t scheduled to return. You’d think they’d want their Dreamliner back!
PlaneSpeaking likes this.

Last edited by Speedbirdsouth; Apr 11, 2021 at 8:30 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.