Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok 2022

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2021, 8:27 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by GSTBD
This will be the refurbished 777s with new Club Suites. The route is too thin in premium cabins for A350s really, so I can see it sticking to the 777.
Unless BA start F there I will stick with LH or QR on BKK route.
DelTroon likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 1:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by GSTBD
This will be the refurbished 777s with new Club Suites.
Let's hope so; but the chances of the refurbishment programme making an aircraft available for the BKK route this time next year seems very optimistic
Old Apr 20, 2021, 3:42 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JeffBHD
Let's hope so; but the chances of the refurbishment programme making an aircraft available for the BKK route this time next year seems very optimistic
While -YMMR, S, T, U are shown in the wiki as the last to be done, there are only 4 77Js, plus -YMMA at LGW. In contrast there are are going to be 13 of the new 77L 3 class aircraft with ClubSuite, 48J 40W 184Y (New Club Suite). Of those 3 have already been done, 3 have had their passenger cabins stripped out save for F for cargo duties, so I think CS will be seen sporadically in BKK. The reconfiguration program seems to be focussing on the 77Ws for now, perhaps after that the focus might be on the remaining 14F 772s which are planted to become 3 class.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 6:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum
Really looking forward to getting back to Bangkok and the rest of Thailand but I think I will leave it until later in 2022. April is just a little too hot for me.

Even though Thailand has got off relatively lightly in terms of the loss of life it is heartbreaking to see the economic devastation from the collapse of the tourism sector. I've very happy to buy lots of Singha and pad kra pow when I'm there to help them recover
JeffBHD and DelTroon like this.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 9:07 am

Programs: BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire
Mrs WB1969 has chosen HKT for her 50th birthday in October 2022. Routing via BKK would be the preferred option, with HKG being the backup. BA schedule currently shows flights operating until 30th April, which unlike most routes, does not follow the standard Summer/Winter schedule releases.

I'm surprised flights aren't being loaded on T-355 basis. Is this an indication that BA has yet to decide whether to fly beyond April?
Old Aug 8, 2021, 9:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I suspect this too far in the future for anyone to say anything with certainty
Old Aug 8, 2021, 9:53 am

Programs: BA Silver, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club, Marriott Titanium Elite
FLUB 18 Dec BKK-LHR

I’ve booked 18 December BKK-LHR flying in J and noticed the F cabin when selecting a seat. Obviously far too early to actually select a seat in the cabin but would perhaps ask at check in if FLUB was in place. I’ve selected 7A with direct aisle access for now.

Does anyone know what BA policy is if the route is pulled for whatever reason? Can I switch to QR in J or would they reroute me via HKG on CX and BA to keep it on their metal? It’s an Avios ticket if that matters.

Thanks
Old Aug 8, 2021, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BKK was marginal for a long time - hence the progressive downgrade from a Kangaroo route stop with a 744 to an immediate return day flight back to LHR on a 3 class 777. Seems very logical it’s a wait and see route for BA’s scheduling.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by wb1969
Mrs WB1969 has chosen HKT for her 50th birthday in October 2022. Routing via BKK would be the preferred option, with HKG being the backup. BA schedule currently shows flights operating until 30th April, which unlike most routes, does not follow the standard Summer/Winter schedule releases.

I'm surprised flights aren't being loaded on T-355 basis. Is this an indication that BA has yet to decide whether to fly beyond April?
I think the 30th April is a deliberate decision because of Easter being so late and the route will then resume on 30th October 2022 at the beginning of the winter airline season. IIRC Bangkok wasn't going to operate during the summer even pre-COVID, it's low season for Thailand and it's a very competitive market, they can use the plane twice to the USA on the seasonal routes there that have been expanding each year instead.

Need to keep an eye on what Cathay operate into Phuket going forward - Cathay Dragon is no more and many leisure routes will be all eco operated by HK Express

Also just to mention that I've had particularly poor weather the couple of times I've been in October in recent years so I'd consider pushing your trip into November/early December if you can swing it.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by HarryKUK
I’ve booked 18 December BKK-LHR flying in J and noticed the F cabin when selecting a seat. Obviously far too early to actually select a seat in the cabin but would perhaps ask at check in if FLUB was in place. I’ve selected 7A with direct aisle access for now.

Does anyone know what BA policy is if the route is pulled for whatever reason? Can I switch to QR in J or would they reroute me via HKG on CX and BA to keep it on their metal? It’s an Avios ticket if that matters.

Thanks
If it's pulled there will be specific rebooking guidelines. Usually QR isn't available for redemption, the last round of Asian cuts included Malaysian Airlines as an option for those tickets. I actually think FLUB could be a regular feature, the J cabin is usually pretty busy on these flights but a lot depends on the situation in Bangkok by then. There is even some potential for BA to switch the flights to or via Phuket if Bangkok still has quarantine in place
HarryKUK likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 11:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by sammyg901

Need to keep an eye on what Cathay operate into Phuket going forward - Cathay Dragon is no more and many leisure routes will be all eco operated by HK Express.
Quick look on CX website has 2 class A330 operated by CX, so hopefully will remain that way.

Appreciate the comment regarding weather.
sammyg901 likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 9:22 am

Programs: BAEC
I was just having a look at BKK for S22 and services only run until 30th April. Could this be a sign they’re converting the route to winter seasonal.
Speedbirdsouth likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 10:36 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club, Marriott Titanium Elite
Flight time changes - much better!!

I know a few people hated the Bangkok daytime timings on the return sector - mine has just changed by about 12 hours to a much better flight schedule (similar to HKG-LHR which was my preferred routing pre-Covid)

New Bangkok flight times?
The_Editor likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 11:15 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by HarryKUK
I know a few people hated the Bangkok daytime timings on the return sector - mine has just changed by about 12 hours to a much better flight schedule (similar to HKG-LHR which was my preferred routing pre-Covid)
New Bangkok flight times?
I sure would hope that sticks! However, unless they are willing to leave the plane on the ground for a long time (like SAS did in the old days in BKK), this would make the outbound timings rather unpleasant instead
Old Aug 17, 2021, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by SKT-DK
I sure would hope that sticks! However, unless they are willing to leave the plane on the ground for a long time (like SAS did in the old days in BKK), this would make the outbound timings rather unpleasant instead
Outbound is broadly in line with EVA which I’ve done before. A ~4pm arrival into Bangkok isn’t too bad if that’s your final stop but may be an issue for those trying to connect onto domestic services I guess. Presumably if demand in general is low, leaving the aircraft in Bangkok for a 7 hour turnaround isn’t too problematic?

I’m currently holding a LHR-FRA-BKK ticket which I will use for my return in January; this is a similar arrival time to the new BA schedule too - about an hour earlier.

The_Editor likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.