Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok 2022

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2021, 5:44 am
formerly JackDann

Originally Posted by GBT
Just after some advice / opinions / suggestions please - although have a feeling I might know the outcome!
Long story short - flights to BKK booked in Oct ‘20 - 50% Avios sale + 241 for Jan ‘21, changed to Nov ‘21 then Jan ‘22.
Allowed me to transfer onto QR a few weeks ago (my husband and I for 15/1) and 3 sons for 28/1 - all returning together on 13/2.
So of course my problem is Thailands new restrictions…..my flights are to BKK to where I’m not allowed to enter - my only hope is to fly directly into Phuket ( to which I’m more than happy to spend 7 days in their Sandbox programme, as are my sons).
Qatar have a flight at virtually the same time from Doha to Phuket as my original Doha to BKK but of course I’m not allowed to change.
So my question is - any ideas how to keep this ticket alive and get to Phuket?
I would be happy to drop the 2nd leg DOH-BKK and buy a ticket DOH-HKT but think this will forfeit the rest of my flights?
The thought of having to take a refund and then paying more to fly Y on the same flights makes me want to cry (that and the thought of flying Y to Thailand!)
I am obviously going to wait until 4th January when Thailand is apparently reviewing its policy but unless QR cancel the flight to BkK which I doubt I can’t see any way around this.
As BA Cancelled your original booking, i'd chance my arm and give them a call and see if they'll change your flight to HKT instead. They'd have certainly had done this at the time when they first re-booked you onto QR, however now it has already been ticketed they may not be so helpful. Explain the situation though and that you can no longer enter via BKK and they may help! We're scheduled to fly out a day before you to BKK on QR after a BA Cancellation and opted to fly back from HKT, fortunately for us we already got our Thailand Passes.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 5:58 am
GBT

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by JackDann
As BA Cancelled your original booking, i'd chance my arm and give them a call and see if they'll change your flight to HKT instead. They'd have certainly had done this at the time when they first re-booked you onto QR, however now it has already been ticketed they may not be so helpful. Explain the situation though and that you can no longer enter via BKK and they may help! We're scheduled to fly out a day before you to BKK on QR after a BA Cancellation and opted to fly back from HKT, fortunately for us we already got our Thailand Passes.
Thank you JackDann - I have already tried calling them but no luck, they just said they only had an obligation to get me to my original destination and if Qatar don’t cancel the BkK flight then I can have a refund - which I obviously don’t want.
Did think I would try again after 4th if still the same restrictions in place.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 6:11 am
formerly JackDann

Originally Posted by GBT
Thank you JackDann - I have already tried calling them but no luck, they just said they only had an obligation to get me to my original destination and if Qatar don’t cancel the BkK flight then I can have a refund - which I obviously don’t want.
Did think I would try again after 4th if still the same restrictions in place.
Unfortunate - not sure whether it is worth giving another go (Potentially not). I guess in their Point of view they have offered you an alternative routing which has been accepted and that's the end of it. When BA Cancelled my flight to SIN they re-routed me to BKK with a return from HKT (This is above and beyond helpful to be honest) and when QR Previously cancelled my BKK flight they did allow me to re-route to HKT. Unfortunately those are the only two experiences i've got which could have potentially gave you some insight into what might be available to you.

I hope somebody comes up with a good idea for you! I may well find myself in the same boat if they stop me from entering BKK on the 15th.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 7:09 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by JackDann
Thank you. I have seen this quote elsewhere, however the MFA website and all other official sources to not give the date of 10th January and simply say that aslong as you’re approved, you’re fine.
That's what I have read until now as well. I am due in BKK after the 10th, with a Thailand Pass approval, so if the requirement to arrive by 10th Jan really is a thing, then I have a problem.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 7:49 am
formerly JackDann

Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur
That's what I have read until now as well. I am due in BKK after the 10th, with a Thailand Pass approval, so if the requirement to arrive by 10th Jan really is a thing, then I have a problem.
I can confirm it's not. As always with Thailand, it looks like one incorrect source was quoted and this was then re-cycled across multiple media outlets.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 11:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Onyx Platinum
Originally Posted by GBT
Just after some advice / opinions / suggestions please - although have a feeling I might know the outcome!
Long story short - flights to BKK booked in Oct ‘20 - 50% Avios sale + 241 for Jan ‘21, changed to Nov ‘21 then Jan ‘22.
Allowed me to transfer onto QR a few weeks ago (my husband and I for 15/1) and 3 sons for 28/1 - all returning together on 13/2.
So of course my problem is Thailands new restrictions…..my flights are to BKK to where I’m not allowed to enter - my only hope is to fly directly into Phuket ( to which I’m more than happy to spend 7 days in their Sandbox programme, as are my sons).
Qatar have a flight at virtually the same time from Doha to Phuket as my original Doha to BKK but of course I’m not allowed to change.
So my question is - any ideas how to keep this ticket alive and get to Phuket?
I would be happy to drop the 2nd leg DOH-BKK and buy a ticket DOH-HKT but think this will forfeit the rest of my flights?
The thought of having to take a refund and then paying more to fly Y on the same flights makes me want to cry (that and the thought of flying Y to Thailand!)
I am obviously going to wait until 4th January when Thailand is apparently reviewing its policy but unless QR cancel the flight to BkK which I doubt I can’t see any way around this.
I am not sure if this helps GBT.
Our flights BKK return in J booked last September for a snip £4260.
BA9/10 cancelled and rebooked on QR leaving 16/01.
After the latest cancellation of Test and Go for BKK, I can't wait for the inevitable announcement tomorrow confirming the extention of the postponing. I persevered and got through on the Gold Line and changed my out bound leg to LHR/DOH/HKT at no cost. Therfore just having to go through the Phuket Sandbox scheme but returning still from BKK. I had to move a day as there was no availability on the 16th. but so bloody relieved we are going again.
Unless of course the tomorrows announcement is even more draconian.
I suggest to try again and good luck.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 3:52 am
GBT

Originally Posted by Sparkyfletch
I am not sure if this helps GBT.
Our flights BKK return in J booked last September for a snip £4260.
BA9/10 cancelled and rebooked on QR leaving 16/01.
After the latest cancellation of Test and Go for BKK, I can't wait for the inevitable announcement tomorrow confirming the extention of the postponing. I persevered and got through on the Gold Line and changed my out bound leg to LHR/DOH/HKT at no cost. Therfore just having to go through the Phuket Sandbox scheme but returning still from BKK. I had to move a day as there was no availability on the 16th. but so bloody relieved we are going again.
Unless of course the tomorrows announcement is even more draconian.
I suggest to try again and good luck.
Thank you for your help - I think the big difference is my booking is with Avios with a 241 for my flight on 15/1 and Avios for my 3 x sons on 28/1 all from 50% sale.
I did try Gold line again 2 days ago and still same response of take an FTV or cancel for £35 pp.
Although weirdly I was given a different Ref no for my booking when it was changed to QR and the lady insisted my booking for 15/1 was a commercial revenue booking - and that I needed to phone back as she only dealt with Avios bookings ! She said there was no sign of any Avios etc used - I gave her the old Ref no and she then could see the correct trail but couldn’t understand how this has occurred.

I have waited until today for latest entry announcements which don’t help me as still no transit in BKK as far as I can work out - she did say if any of my flights were cancelled I could rebook up until 15/1/23 which unfortunately is looking highly unlikely.

Will try again today…… and tomorrow……..and…….
Old Jan 7, 2022, 4:11 am
formerly JackDann

My situation is one of my own doing - I have a Thai Pass valid for Arrival into BKK on the 15th. I jumped the gun into thinking that Test and Go would be suspended from the 10th, so moved my flight to Phuket with the thinking that I would participate in Sandbox instead. Today the official announcement came out that Test & Go into Bangkok will be valid on the 15th.

I've now got 3 options

- Move my flight back to Bangkok (If they are willing to do so!)
- Try and find some way (somehow!) of my Thai Pass allowing arrival into Phuket
- Re-Apply for Thai Pass for Phuket Sandbox

This is a trip I usually plan a Year in advance, i'm 7 days away and still none the wiser what i'm doing haha

Anyway - One thing is now certain, this time next week i'll be in the be enjoying my Maiden visit to the Concorde Room.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 4:27 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Purely subjective, but I'd stay in Phuket in the Sandbox, as there's less chance of being caught by restrictions that they are likely to introduce as Omicron kicks off (which it now looks like doing, a month or so behind the UK).
Old Jan 7, 2022, 4:34 am
formerly JackDann

Originally Posted by Cymro
Purely subjective, but I'd stay in Phuket in the Sandbox, as there's less chance of being caught by restrictions that they are likely to introduce as Omicron kicks off (which it now looks like doing, a month or so behind the UK).
I've got to travel and see a family member in the North before heading to Khao Lak, so can't really do Sandbox. I'd agree with you though for anyone else thinking of going, Sandbox is the safest option and you may have to resign yourself to a beach holiday with a majority of your time spent in the hotel!
Old Jan 7, 2022, 5:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Onyx Platinum
The roller coaster that is travel now to Thailand:

Booked to BKK, BA9 then cancelled.
Rebook on QR - nice, almost like a free upgrade.
The termoil of obtaining a 60 day Thai visa.
However just one day Test and Go in BKK.
Test and Go scrapped. Can't be banged up in BKK for 7 days.
Change out bound leg to HKT. At no cost other than fly the next day.
Wait for Thai Gov. announcement 04.01.
Book SHA hotel.
Compulsory Thai trip insurance and 2 day tests etc.. A snip at £500!
Book Thai pass yesterday 3-7 days they say. Flying in 10 days to then read 3-7 working days.
Book Fit to Fly test and cross your fingers.

The time spent, the anxiety, the unknown....
And we used to moan about the 15 minute queues at Fast Track in Suvarnabhumi.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 7:32 am

The current Lufthansa sale to BKK is very tempting and is only £200 more expensive than using the Gold Upgrade Voucher on BA. (Can only get PE on the way out but business back)
I'm looking at December and want to spend a night in BKK then fly on to AKL (most likely in QF economy). On the way back we'll have 7-10 nights in Thailand before heading back to London.
So two separate tickets In this scenario. Each of them in non refundable but changeable. We need to be in both AKL and BKK.
But December. Surely we're back to normal or pretty close to it by then, right?
Am I mad considering this? Is there a more sensible option?
Old Jan 8, 2022, 5:57 pm
GBT

Originally Posted by GBT
Thank you for your help - I think the big difference is my booking is with Avios with a 241 for my flight on 15/1 and Avios for my 3 x sons on 28/1 all from 50% sale.
I did try Gold line again 2 days ago and still same response of take an FTV or cancel for £35 pp.
Although weirdly I was given a different Ref no for my booking when it was changed to QR and the lady insisted my booking for 15/1 was a commercial revenue booking - and that I needed to phone back as she only dealt with Avios bookings ! She said there was no sign of any Avios etc used - I gave her the old Ref no and she then could see the correct trail but couldn’t understand how this has occurred.

I have waited until today for latest entry announcements which don’t help me as still no transit in BKK as far as I can work out - she did say if any of my flights were cancelled I could rebook up until 15/1/23 which unfortunately is looking highly unlikely.

Will try again today…… and tomorrow……..and…….
After all this I’ve now tested positive today so wouldn’t be able to fly on 15/1, not sure if this will help my case to delay or not?
Old Jan 10, 2022, 10:23 am

Folks - I am in a similar boat, I had BA tickets on a 2-4-1 to BKK due to leave in a few weeks. I asked to swap to a QR flight in October and the chap on the chat has said I can only move it as far out as end of April 'due to the agreement between BA and QR'. I don't think that's correct... my 2-4-1 remains within validity and its a standard avios redemption. Is there any truth to this or should I just try someone else?
Old Jan 10, 2022, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by ba bob
Folks - I am in a similar boat, I had BA tickets on a 2-4-1 to BKK due to leave in a few weeks. I asked to swap to a QR flight in October and the chap on the chat has said I can only move it as far out as end of April 'due to the agreement between BA and QR'. I don't think that's correct... my 2-4-1 remains within validity and its a standard avios redemption. Is there any truth to this or should I just try someone else?
The agreement is actually only until March 31 currently but even then be the policy they wouldn't do QR and such a big date change - I believe it's +/- 3 days. Your EU/UK 261 right is to a rerouting at your convenience though but you'll need to threaten legal action to BA Legal and then potentially take it either to CEDR or MCOL to get the rebooking you want. Best to have a read here

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.