Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok 2022

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2022, 2:58 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
Originally Posted by sl1ppy
Just rebooked a cancelled BA flight (originally booked with an amex 241, put into a FTV) with QR as it looks like Thailand will relax their testing requirements slightly next month. Was able to select seats on QR's website.
still not relaxed enough. Understand dropping the day 5 test (now only a self test) from what I am hearing most tests coming up positive on day 5 indicating people are likely to be getting infected while in Thailand and not importing the virus from outside. I am booked for November but will cancel if there is a risk I will be tested on arrival then flung into some state run field hospital for 10 days. Thailand need to decide whether they will live with the virus ( increasing vaccination would help) and resume tourism or just drop any semblance of normal return of tourism. My nephew was recently locked up due to to testing positive and was told not a pleasant experience. Yes Thailand could still attract a few backpackers, digital nomads or long stay tourists,but if they continue along these lines can forget about normal package tourism which constitutes the bulk of their revenue
DelTroon likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 3:11 am

Originally Posted by sl1ppy
Just rebooked a cancelled BA flight (originally booked with an amex 241, put into a FTV) with QR as it looks like Thailand will relax their testing requirements slightly next month. Was able to select seats on QR's website.
Sorry in advance if this has been covered at length elsewhere, I haven't been reading these boards much over the last few weeks.

I have a FTV (generated to kick a soon to expire Amex 241 down the road rather than the product of a cancelled BA flight) - can anyone now use these to book onto QR flights and if so how (call BA?) and on what payment basis (Avios? Cash?)

Thanks.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 3:18 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Whyone
Sorry in advance if this has been covered at length elsewhere, I haven't been reading these boards much over the last few weeks.

I have a FTV (generated to kick a soon to expire Amex 241 down the road rather than the product of a cancelled BA flight) - can anyone now use these to book onto QR flights and if so how (call BA?) and on what payment basis (Avios? Cash?)

Thanks.
Not sure exactly what the question is? I had a LHR-BKK-LHR 241 BA avios booking, that I got moved to QR (not sure how far forward you can do it (3months?)). No payment required, think dates should be +/-3 days but managed to get a 4 day change due to availability.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by fdem
still not relaxed enough. Understand dropping the day 5 test (now only a self test) from what I am hearing most tests coming up positive on day 5 indicating people are likely to be getting infected while in Thailand and not importing the virus from outside. I am booked for November but will cancel if there is a risk I will be tested on arrival then flung into some state run field hospital for 10 days. Thailand need to decide whether they will live with the virus ( increasing vaccination would help) and resume tourism or just drop any semblance of normal return of tourism. My nephew was recently locked up due to to testing positive and was told not a pleasant experience. Yes Thailand could still attract a few backpackers, digital nomads or long stay tourists,but if they continue along these lines can forget about normal package tourism which constitutes the bulk of their revenue
I can't really disagree but assuming the 5 day test really is self-administered and reported then there is the option to submit a (previous) negative one and lay low for a few days.
I have a recovery certificate so *shouldn't* be locked up. I guess the lack of tourism is part of the attraction but we all have different takes on 'risk management'.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 3:28 am

Thanks for your reply Sl1ppy and sorry for the confusion!

My question is, can any FTV now be used to book flights on QR?

My FTV was issued for a self-cancelled one way flight to LHR-MAN. I know this can be used to book a rather more exciting trip on BA operated flights, but can I also use it (and the associated amex 241) on a QR flight (looking at either BKK or KUL)?
Old Feb 24, 2022, 3:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Is there any way it would be possible to have a two night stopover in BKK on the way to AKL given current rules?
Old Feb 24, 2022, 4:26 am

Thanks.
Mrs rapidex just used an FTV from a cancelled avios booking to rebook on QR. I called reservations on the gold line, call was answered in 3 minutes, rebooking took 5 minutes and the ticket was re issued 30 minutes later.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 4:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by webstereo
Is there any way it would be possible to have a two night stopover in BKK on the way to AKL given current rules?
AFAIK yes, you'd have to enter Thailand as a test and go visitor and then just leave when you have your connection to Auckland. That means booking a day 1 test and SH++ hotel.

Was supposed to be going to Thailand next month but just cancelled and off to Singapore instead. Way less hassle.. couldn't take the risk of testing positive or getting my personal details lifted off their Test and Go application process
Old Feb 24, 2022, 4:38 am

Thanks for your reply Sl1ppy and sorry for the confusion!

My question is, can any FTV now be used to book flights on QR?

My FTV was issued for a self-cancelled one way flight to LHR-MAN. I know this can be used to book a rather more exciting trip on BA operated flights, but can I also use it (and the associated amex 241) on a QR flight (looking at either BKK or KUL)?
Ah, don't think so, at least not without possible extra payment. I should have been clearer - I used an FTV to book BKK on BA, they then cancelled (quite a while ago) and I asked yesterday for that booking to be transferred to QR.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 1:51 am

Anyone know if staysure annual insurance meets the Thailand Pass requirements?
Old Mar 2, 2022, 2:06 am

To answer my own question, staysure have confirmed it does (whether this works on the application is an entirely different thing!)
mcgahat and The_Editor like this.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by rhysflies
Does anyone know what the situation with Test&Go is with transit?

I am hoping to rebook onto QR but flights are to BKK. I am actually hoping to spend the majority of time in Cambodia, via Thai Smile flight (not on same itinerary). Is there a way for me to stay airside or to go through Thai immigration and then go back through security?

Last edited by jfs5; Mar 3, 2022 at 7:49 am Reason: Mistake
Old Mar 17, 2022, 7:42 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club, Marriott Titanium Elite
I don’t believe so no. All arriving passengers must clear Thai formalities in Bangkok. There are sealed route connections available to some of the islands but I don’t think you can do what you have suggested as there’s no way to get from A to B without going through all the Thai inbound checks, arrival PCR, 1 day quarantine etc
Old Mar 17, 2022, 7:44 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club, Marriott Titanium Elite
Bangkok is back on for winter 2022 - Unfortunately I have already booked my tickets with Lufthansa for Christmas but if there is a schedule change that allows me to cancel for free I will consider moving back to this BA flight. Hopefully it doesn’t get pulled like it did last year, although to be honest I considered my rebooking on Qatar to be a good outcome anyway.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 9:00 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
With BA's dated equipment on this route & the woeful lack of reward seats we have decided to book EY J for us to come & "collect" our family & to bring them to Thailand with us. Much better seats/food/service & convenient connections in AUH made it a no-brainer for us. BA's loss. Again.
mcgahat likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.