Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok 2022

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2023, 1:52 am
formerly JackDann

Originally Posted by Grace B
I think the new Thailand requirements are quite sensible given the circumstances, and don't have a problem with this at all.

In fact I currently have confirmed bookings that take me to BKK 7 times this year, and I'm quite happy to proceed with them (at this stage).
If they can bring in something like this at 2 days notice then I can understand completely why it’d put people off travelling - and more relevantly why BA wouldn’t want to bring this routing back.
KARFA and Tim Rowe like this.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 1:55 am
formerly JackDann

Originally Posted by SKT-DK
I think people are severely over-reacting to the news out of Thailand. There is no blanket ban on unvaccinated people as many made it sound.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand...lers-confirmed
That reads as though it pretty much is a blanket ban on Unvaccinated travellers with the exceptionally small number of those medically exempt?

If you chose not to get vaccinated against a Virus two years ago you now cannot enter Thailand.
Tim Rowe likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 3:01 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by JD1905
That reads as though it pretty much is a blanket ban on Unvaccinated travellers with the exceptionally small number of those medically exempt?

If you chose not to get vaccinated against a Virus two years ago you now cannot enter Thailand.
Is it vastly different from the USA who also have similar rules?
James91 likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 3:05 am

Report a positive test to NHS today and get a recovery letter in 10 days time for ~£30 . I imagine it's easy enough to find someone less reputable to produce a letter even sooner if imminently travelling. So not much of a barrier to travel anyway..
Old Jan 8, 2023, 3:13 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Saladman
no, but equally the US doesn’t seem to feel the need to change their rules 5 times a month.
Tim Rowe likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 4:35 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by KARFA
no, but equally the US doesn’t seem to feel the need to change their rules 5 times a month.
I don't think that's fair - the last change in rules in Thailand was the beginning of October when the requirement to show a vaccine was dropped and this merely returns the requirements to that previous state.

As a frequent visitor to Thailand I'm fine with this requirement, I think bringing testing back would be different.
SKT-DK, cbagent and flyvirgin like this.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 5:01 am

Programs: avios
But that was not done when flights were heavily booked up in advance and with only two days notice given.
The policy may be the same of course, but how it was introduced that is the problem.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
The problem with that sort of discussion on the merits/problems with the Thai decision is that I think it’s impossible to keep them OMNI free and they are therefore a bit of a repetitive waste of space.

Ultimately, those who are sceptical of strict positions on vaccination and “safety principle” will think the Thai government are just making a nonsense decision here as they will have been critical of restrictions imposed by various countries on travel from china, and those who think that vaccination is essential and the sacrifices many countries have made should not be compromised by allowing laxer countries to ruin reasonably stable situations will think the Thai decision or that of countries imposing tests to those travelling from china will think it’s sensible.

im fully vaccinated and pro-vaccine, and I think china (which is clearly the primary target of the thai restriction) is not a honest broker so I have no issue with the Thai decision. I’m sure that by the time you had read the first 7 words, any of you could guess the conclusion of the sentence and as you can imagine, so can any of us guess the conclusion of anyone who has consistently (and that’s perfectly within their right) shown more scepticism throughout recent months. It’s a bit like going back to the Djokovic Australian open saga a year ago where the two parties were essentially building arguments based on the conclusion they had already reached.

For what it’s worth, one thing I would say is that the focus on timing/lack of notice is a huge red herring (make it a red shark). You may think the decision is good or is stupid, but given the target is clearly Chinese travellers here, imposing vaccination but delaying implementation by 2 weeks or a month on the grounds of giving people notice would clearly negate the entire point of the decision and make it wholly absurd. Those who think the decision is stupid anyway won’t care, but by definition, you can only judge a policy decision based on the internal logic of what it aims to achieve, and from that point of view, immediacy is the only sensible way to conceive that particular decision. In that sense, the whole idea that there could have been a compromise of being tough but giving notice is, in my view, mistaken and neither here nor there.

Last edited by orbitmic; Jan 8, 2023 at 11:13 pm
Old Jan 8, 2023, 6:01 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Tim Rowe
But that was not done when flights were heavily booked up in advance and with only two days notice given.
The policy may be the same of course, but how it was introduced that is the problem.
Well BA still don’t go to BKK (more’s the pity) so I don’t really see the relevance?
Old Jan 8, 2023, 6:45 am

Programs: avios
Well BA still don’t go to BKK (more’s the pity) so I don’t really see the relevance?
More a general point, not BA specific of course......but now BA are even less likely to restart the route....more's the pity I agree as a regular user myself pre pandemic....it may even have a knock on effect on them restarting KUL?
Old Jan 8, 2023, 3:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by sammyg901
Report a positive test to NHS today and get a recovery letter in 10 days time for ~£30 . I imagine it's easy enough to find someone less reputable to produce a letter even sooner if imminently travelling. So not much of a barrier to travel anyway..
Do you even need to pay? I’ve got a Qr code recovery pass on my NHS records and have downloaded this to my iPhone wallet. That said I was in hospital having treatment when the Covid test was done.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 12:27 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
I don't think that's fair - the last change in rules in Thailand was the beginning of October when the requirement to show a vaccine was dropped and this merely returns the requirements to that previous state.

As a frequent visitor to Thailand I'm fine with this requirement, I think bringing testing back would be different.
I think it is very fair tbh

Wonder what the rules will be next week?

https://www.turningleftforless.com/n...ilands-u-turn/

We all hoped we had seen the last of Thailand’s last-minute rule changes and lack of clear information, but sadly they seem to have gone back to 2021 in a time machine! After China’s announcement that they would open its borders Thailand announced that it would require all visitors to have proof of vaccination or recovery for visits from 9 January. They justified it by saying it would be discrimination if they just asked visitors from China.

As usual, there was not much concrete detail until just before the rule was due to come into effect. After having finally produced some rules there was a big outcry from Thailand’s tourist industry (which is unsurprising).

Then on Monday 9th, the Tourism Authority of Thailand confirmed that the rule had been ditched again.

The Thai authorities need to get a grip on their process for these sorts of announcements, as even though it has been rescinded, these sort of knee-jerk reactions and sudden rule changes can have a detrimental effect on tourism when they can least afford it.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 1:51 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
This reminds me of Grant Shapps and the travel corridors. Am I right in thinking that there is presently no testing and no vaccination requirement for BKK/Thailand? I am supposed to be going there in a few weeks, though a lot can change in that time I know.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 6:33 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur
This reminds me of Grant Shapps and the travel corridors. Am I right in thinking that there is presently no testing and no vaccination requirement for BKK/Thailand? I am supposed to be going there in a few weeks, though a lot can change in that time I know.
All such requirements are gone, except for people leaving for China and India being required health insurance in case they test positive pre-departure and cannot leave Thailand as a consequence of not being admitted to their destination.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.