Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2021, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Print Wikipost

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2022, 2:02 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by JCT001
Questions:
1. Can I claim hotel in BRU for June 26? The cost is about 186€.
2. And does EU 261 kick in, in this particular instance?
EC261 cancellation compensation almost certainly will apply, I'm not aware of any industrial action which is the typical reason for cancellations with a few days notice which are not eligible for compensation. Plus there are other BA services running that day so that's unlikely. If you had gone on the earlier service then you would have been offered 300€ - there's an argument whether in fact it should be 600€ but usually the 300€ would be paid. For the next day service issue, the chances are that if you rebooked on that later service and put in the hotel bill (and food and comms and any additional travel costs in BRU) then it may just be paid and you get the 600€ without quibble. There's a reasonably good chance of this since BA staff are currently not able to spend too much time being forensic. But if there is a pushback, the worst case scenario is that you would get 300€ and no hotel reimbursement, since BA offered a same day alternative. It then depends on the reason why the earlier service is not suitable. No need to share that here, I can see for example it's quite a short trip. But if the reason for travel was to do something early on Sunday morning and you would not have booked the flight originally at that time, then clearly the earlier rebooking isn't suitable. The relevant clauses for rebooking relate to the next available service, not prior flights.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 9:48 am

Programs: BA Gold
14:10 LHR-MAN on 1st July just cancelled, nearest alternatives on the day are 08:55 and 18:05 😫, have had so many flight changes recently. Assume that as alternative arrival times are more than 2 hours from original BA are liable for compensation or will they have a loophole?
Old Jun 23, 2022, 10:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold | Marriott Bonvoy LTP
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
EC261 cancellation compensation almost certainly will apply, I'm not aware of any industrial action which is the typical reason for cancellations with a few days notice which are not eligible for compensation. Plus there are other BA services running that day so that's unlikely. If you had gone on the earlier service then you would have been offered 300€ - there's an argument whether in fact it should be 600€ but usually the 300€ would be paid. For the next day service issue, the chances are that if you rebooked on that later service and put in the hotel bill (and food and comms and any additional travel costs in BRU) then it may just be paid and you get the 600€ without quibble. There's a reasonably good chance of this since BA staff are currently not able to spend too much time being forensic. But if there is a pushback, the worst case scenario is that you would get 300€ and no hotel reimbursement, since BA offered a same day alternative. It then depends on the reason why the earlier service is not suitable. No need to share that here, I can see for example it's quite a short trip. But if the reason for travel was to do something early on Sunday morning and you would not have booked the flight originally at that time, then clearly the earlier rebooking isn't suitable. The relevant clauses for rebooking relate to the next available service, not prior flights.
Thank you for your advice and comments, it's much appreciated !
Old Jun 23, 2022, 10:31 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ademanuele
14:10 LHR-MAN on 1st July just cancelled, nearest alternatives on the day are 08:55 and 18:05 😫, have had so many flight changes recently. Assume that as alternative arrival times are more than 2 hours from original BA are liable for compensation or will they have a loophole?
We would need both original arrival/departure times plus the new ones to be sure. But the allowed amount on 8 days notice is either 2 hours early to departure (so 08:55 isn't compliant) or 4 hours late on arrival time (the 18:05 may be inside this). So it may just be outside the compensation limits.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 10:38 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
We would need both original arrival/departure times plus the new ones to be sure. But the allowed amout on 8 days notice is either 2 hours early to departure (so 08:55 isn't compliant) or 4 hours late on arrival time (the 18:05 may be inside this). So it may just be outside the compensation limits.
The original departure and arrival was 14:10/15:15. The nearest alternative arrivals and departures are 08:55/09:55 and 18:05/19:10

For cancellations between 7 and 14 days before departure with a flight distance less than 1,500km I understood that compensation is due for departure from 2+ hours earlier than the original flight or arrivals 2+ hours later than original flight, or do I have old information?
Old Jun 23, 2022, 1:32 pm

What should I do if I have filed a complaint for expenses and compensation of a canceled flight, and BA replied me 1 email per week for 4 weeks asking me to wait for the process, then no more replies for one month? Should I email them or direct go for MCOL/CEDR?
Old Jun 23, 2022, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ademanuele
The original departure and arrival was 14:10/15:15. The nearest alternative arrivals and departures are 08:55/09:55 and 18:05/19:10

For cancellations between 7 and 14 days before departure with a flight distance less than 1,500km I understood that compensation is due for departure from 2+ hours earlier than the original flight or arrivals 2+ hours later than original flight, or do I have old information?
Arrivals = +4 hours. It falls to 2 hours for under 7 days notice. There is therefore a flight which is within the time limits and therefore not eligible tor EC261. If that flight fills up, on the other hand.......
ademanuele likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by enoughtoo
What should I do if I have filed a complaint for expenses and compensation of a canceled flight, and BA replied me 1 email per week for 4 weeks asking me to wait for the process, then no more replies for one month? Should I email them or direct go for MCOL/CEDR?
I suspect they will answer at some point but there is clearly a backlog at Customer Relations. If you have waited long enough then you can start MCOL. If you have waited more than 8 weeks then you can go straight to CEDR. Recent posts have given the advantages and disadvantages of each option.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 1:43 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, and BAEC in name only
Originally Posted by enoughtoo
This seems to be a typical BA response/timescale. Once you are past 8 weeks from lodging the claim you can go straight to CEDR. It is best to enclose ta copy of the first BA email to prove the 8 week period has elapsed.

Last edited by LSunbury; Jun 23, 2022 at 1:44 pm Reason: Too slow!
Old Jun 23, 2022, 2:22 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Can anyone help me out here?

Can anybody tell me what time BA 1370 LHR INV arrived on June 7? I need this for a 261 claim. I rerouted myself and need it to prove I was over three hours late. On the day it was the last thing on my mind after my flight was cancelled.

A long shot I know but the community is full of smart people with access to all sorts of data 😀

thanks!
Old Jun 23, 2022, 2:50 pm

Programs: BAEC
Wonder if anyone can help with an EU261 query. I posted on the LH forum re a cancellation and trying to get rerouted: LH965 Cancelled (Monday 27 June 2022)

However, my question relates to how any decision to seek alternative re-routing impacts EU261 compensation. There appears to be a more active EU261 thread on this forum so I thought I would ask about that particular aspect on here.

In short, I am scheduled on Monday to fly EDI-FRA-EZE. Lovely flight in J, 55min connection in FRA. Apparently, however, LH965 (EDI-FRA) has been cancelled. So for some reason FRA are trying to fly me a day later routed EDI-FRA-PTY-EZE. I am not particularly keen on an additional layover, different standards of service and food, etc (not to mention I am not sure what PTY covid rules are). However, if I go back and request an alternative routing will I lose any entitlement to EU261 compensation?

Thanks
Old Jun 23, 2022, 3:00 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by flieduk
Wonder if anyone can help with an EU261 query. I posted on the LH forum re a cancellation and trying to get rerouted: LH965 Cancelled (Monday 27 June 2022)

However, my question relates to how any decision to seek alternative re-routing impacts EU261 compensation. There appears to be a more active EU261 thread on this forum so I thought I would ask about that particular aspect on here.

In short, I am scheduled on Monday to fly EDI-FRA-EZE. Lovely flight in J, 55min connection in FRA. Apparently, however, LH965 (EDI-FRA) has been cancelled. So for some reason FRA are trying to fly me a day later routed EDI-FRA-PTY-EZE. I am not particularly keen on an additional layover, different standards of service and food, etc (not to mention I am not sure what PTY covid rules are). However, if I go back and request an alternative routing will I lose any entitlement to EU261 compensation?

Thanks
No. Entitlement to compensation stands separately from the entitlement to get rebooked.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 3:05 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by wyddfa

Can anybody tell me what time BA 1370 LHR INV arrived on June 7? I need this for a 261 claim. I rerouted myself and need it to prove I was over three hours late. On the day it was the last thing on my mind after my flight was cancelled.

A long shot I know but the community is full of smart people with access to all sorts of data 😀

thanks!
BA1370 is LHR-MAN. Do you mean BA1470? For 7 June it landed at 1455. I can't see an actual doors open time though so that would have been a few minutes later. The schedules time of arrival was 1455.
Geordie405 and wyddfa like this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 3:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by wyddfa

thanks!
I assume you mean BA1470 as that's LHR - INV whereas BA1370 is a Manchester service. According to FR24 it landed at 1455
wyddfa likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 3:08 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by KARFA
No. Entitlement to compensation stands separately from the entitlement to get rebooked.
Thanks! What is the compensation if the flight is cancelled and the routing they offered me was the next day (i.e. to arrive almost a day later) and I instead re-book on an earlier flight (i.e a day or 2 days prior to the original flight)? Is it the 250 euro per passenger?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.