Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2021, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Print Wikipost

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2022, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
After 8 weeks he can go to CEDR, so I guess that's about now. There are quite a lot of data points upthread about this, the gist of which is that CEDR is not going to be fast either but he will get more tracking of progress. MCOL he could do straight away if speed is of the essence.
Thanks so much CWS, appreciate the guidance.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 12:11 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by ademanuele
Thanks for the reply. 9pm flight was not an option when I rebooked but I checked at the airport and am now on standby.

This flight is obviously jinxed, has been cancelled three times now, was originally on tomorrow's 2pm flight and cancelled on 2nd May, today's 2.10 pm flight cancelled on 23rd June, and todays flight cancelled a few hours ago 🤦🏻‍♂️

I could not find any info on differences between OPER, OPEY and OPEN? Also, is there a link to what happened with Amadeus?

Both LHR-MAN flights this evening are now cancelled. Hopefully you’re already in that taxi!
ademanuele likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 12:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Indeed these are the arguments that you can deploy and they are not bad arguments either. Just I wouldn't spend the money yet, it may take some effort.
I just went to customer services and discovered that BA have now cancelled both the 9pm and 10.05pm flights tonight... No Manchester flights until tomorrow night so will need to get the train in the morning. They have not emailed or texted me and I found out at around 7.15pm... Where do I stand with EC261??
Old Jul 1, 2022, 12:25 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I just went to customer services and discovered that BA have now cancelled both the 9pm and 10.05pm flights tonight... No Manchester flights until tomorrow night so will need to get the train in the morning. They have not emailed or texted me and I found out at around 7.15pm... Where do I stand with EC261??
Probably a stronger position. They are cancelling services to protect other services, so that's a business decision. But let's see what happens over the next few hours. I hope you have accommodation available to you.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 12:58 pm

Thanks CWS - this is very helpful!

I did check, and spent 3 hours on the phone with BA at 2am asking if they could put my family on the Air France flight that day to Paris and on to New York which was the final destination. I was told at the time (and I have now learnt incorrectly) that BA could not rebook me on Air France as they don't have a ticketing arrangement with them.

I will argue the point that there were other flights that day that got me to New York, and let you know how it goes...

Cheers.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 1:15 pm

Probably a stronger position. They are cancelling services to protect other services, so that's a business decision. But let's see what happens over the next few hours. I hope you have accommodation available to you.
Not a great day. I had to exit T5 as all flights to Manchester cancelled this evening and the next flight is not until tomorrow night so I will be on the train in the morning. Customer Services in the First Lounge sent me to Gate 11 which led to Passport Control and a long queue to get out which was a little challenging as I did not have passport/driving licence with me... Fortunately I had a scan of my passport on my phone and they eventually let me through. I still have not had an email/text from BA notifying me of the flight cancellations 🤷🏻‍♂️
Old Jul 1, 2022, 1:18 pm

Programs: BAEC
Not a great day. I had to exit T5 as all flights to Manchester cancelled this evening and the next flight is not until tomorrow night so I will be on the train in the morning.
I thought BA could rebook to train services - have I got that totally wrong?
ademanuele likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 1:22 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by sayling
I thought BA could rebook to train services - have I got that totally wrong?
Only LNER and Great Western.
ademanuele and sayling like this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TheFlyingRabbit
I did check, and spent 3 hours on the phone with BA at 2am asking if they could put my family on the Air France flight that day to Paris and on to New York which was the final destination. I was told at the time (and I have now learnt incorrectly) that BA could not rebook me on Air France as they don't have a ticketing arrangement with them.
Well that's indeed incorrect. But this means you can quote CJEU case LE v Transportes Aéreos Portugueses SA (case C-74/19), since their refusal to book on that service makes them liable for EC261 even if they think the original cancellation was extraordinary circumstances. Make sure you quote that case in any CEDR or MCOL submission. However fundamentally you can argue that just because HAL asks for something, doesn't void the need to do the right thing for the passenger, given that it was BA's decision to cancel your flight and BA decision not to offer a rebooking at the earliest opportunity. If you are able, I would be tempted to go MCOL but it is more work and you may have to attend a court hearing.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 1:29 pm

Only LNER and Great Western.
I will be making an EC261 claim. Can I claim both for the costs of travelling to Manchester and a refund for the LHR-MAN leg or is it just the costs of getting back to Manchester? I will also be claiming compensation...
Old Jul 1, 2022, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

I will be making an EC261 claim. Can I claim both for the costs of travelling to Manchester and a refund for the LHR-MAN leg or is it just the costs of getting back to Manchester? I will also be claiming compensation...
Strictly speaking it's either / or. But I would leave the BA service uncancelled for now, and then look at the total extra costs versus what you originally spent. In that scenario you can claim the train, meals, tube, drinks and sort out the air ticket later on. If you paid a lot for the air fare and got a cheap rail ticket then my answer would be different.
ademanuele likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Both LHR-MAN flights this evening are now cancelled. Hopefully you’re already in that taxi!
I assume you were at T5 this evening? How did you find out about the cancellations, I still have not received an email or text? If I had not gone to customer services I would have not found out until after 8pm...
Old Jul 2, 2022, 1:16 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Well that's indeed incorrect. But this means you can quote CJEU case LE v Transportes Aéreos Portugueses SA (case C-74/19), since their refusal to book on that service makes them liable for EC261 even if they think the original cancellation was extraordinary circumstances. Make sure you quote that case in any CEDR or MCOL submission. However fundamentally you can argue that just because HAL asks for something, doesn't void the need to do the right thing for the passenger, given that it was BA's decision to cancel your flight and BA decision not to offer a rebooking at the earliest opportunity. If you are able, I would be tempted to go MCOL but it is more work and you may have to attend a court hearing.
I agree with every word except the last sentence. BA will not attend court, they are swamped with claims and only the false claims will not be settled. This is clearly not one of them and once you by-pass the script readers on the phones, and the interns in the offices, the claim will be paid.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 1:18 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA LTG/GFL, Honors Diamond, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Silver
I would welcome thoughts on this slightly complex situation. I suspect there will be a few people with similar issues given the domestic cancellations yesterday and comments above.

I have tried to order my thought process with brevity and clarity. Apologies if it doesn’t read that way.

HER - LHR - MAN, on one ticket, all on 01 July. 2,933 KM total great circle distance.

The originally ticketed BA1402 LHR MAN, on 01 July, scheduled arrival 19:20, was cancelled around midday, and so rebooked onto the BA1406 LHR MAN, 01 July, scheduled arrival 23:15, so 2:05 late at destination.

Absent exceptional circumstances (a matter that may be contentious), that triggers the 50% reduced cancellation compensation of £175, as rebooked to between 2 and 3 hours late at destination, less than 7 days notice given and total trip of 2,933 KM. No problem.

However, having been rebooked onto BA1406, it was then also cancelled at around 19:00. So, then further rebooked onto LGW MAN BA2508 02 July, scheduled arrival 10:55 02 July (which may yet be cancelled).

My query - is the cancellation of the rebooked 1406 onto 2508 treated as:

1. a wholly separate cancellation claim, so there are 2 separate cancellation claims comprising £175 from the first cancellation of 1402, plus £220 from the second cancellation of 1406 (more than 3 hours late, less than 7 days notice, less than 1500KM); or

2. is the situation treated as a whole with the first cancellation, ie it is £350 as rebooked (twice) to more than 3 hours late (no 50% reduction), less than 7 days notice and 2,933Km.

The £45 difference between the 2 scenarios doesn’t bother me, the correct interpretation of the operation of 261 does. I appreciate there may be different viewpoints.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by rjn21; Jul 2, 2022 at 1:28 am
Old Jul 2, 2022, 1:54 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by binman
I agree with every word except the last sentence. BA will not attend court, they are swamped with claims and only the false claims will not be settled. This is clearly not one of them and once you by-pass the script readers on the phones, and the interns in the offices, the claim will be paid.
I need to make a claim for £900 for a cancelled flight that they claim to have refunded but hasn’t arrived in my account and with CR just went round in circles. This should be a slam dunk case.

There are 2 ticket validity cases - they wouldn’t rebook a cancelled flight after 12 months so I bought the cheapest ticket I could find on another airline and flew my trip.

I’ve sent my LBA - 28 days are almost up. Do you think I should go to MCOL with the latter, or try CEDR first?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.