Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2021, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Print Wikipost

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2022, 3:02 pm

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE
Is this a viable repudiation of EC261?

Flight was delayed 6 hours

An apology from British Airways.

We're sorry it was necessary to delay your flight to Larnaca on 11 June. We know this isn’t what you expect when you travel with us, so we understand why you needed to complain.

Your claim's been refused because BA0664 on 11 June was delayed because a member of the flight crew reported sick and wasn't well enough to operate the flight.

We take all reasonable measures to avoid disruption to a flight and we always consider if there are any other alternative solutions before we make a decision. The delay was out of our control and caused unforeseen disruption to our schedule.

I can assure you that your feedback has made a difference and that we’re using your comments to help us focus on how to improve our service.

Once again, please accept our apologies for your experience on this trip. We hope to welcome you back on board soon.

Best regards
Old Jun 29, 2022, 3:10 pm

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
I don’t think that’s at all reasonable , it’s certainly not an extraordinary circumstance.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 3:11 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If they fell sick in Cyprus, BA would perhaps have a case. For LHR / LGW / LCY this is implausible since staff sickness is inherent and they are supposed to resource accordingly. I think CEDR should be OK for this one. There are other examples of this in the main thread.
wrp96, Lioneye, nancypants and 7 others like this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 3:19 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Yes, to say that one member of staff falling sick was able to cause such impact, then this isn’t taking reasonable measures in my opinion. It’s certainly not extraordinary circumstances. Unfortunately based on my recent experience, BA will continue with their defence, however implausible, until you either go to CEDR or MCOL at which point they should fold.
RockyRobin and wanderingjock like this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 3:26 pm

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE
Originally Posted by simonsmith
I don’t think that’s at all reasonable , it’s certainly not an extraordinary circumstance.
Thanks....thought so.....have rejected & asked for confirmation as their final decision so I can proceed to CEDR.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 5:56 pm

Programs: BAEC - Silver
Wheels hit tarmac with 30 seconds before the 3 hour delay mark... Have they managed to screw us on compensation?

Obviously our bags didn't make it...

​​​​​​
Old Jun 29, 2022, 5:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by JohnnyCarmello
Wheels hit tarmac with 30 seconds before the 3 hour delay mark... Have they managed to screw us on compensation?

Obviously our bags didn't make it...

​​​​​​
I believe it’s the time the plane doors open, not when the plane touches down.
Tobias-UK and alex67500 like this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic
I’m really fed up with those cretins. As reported earlier, I won my case at cedr in full and the adjudicator ordered Ba to pay the £350 compensation.

ba just posted to say they have transferred me… £340 (no typo) based on the conversion of €400. The ruling was clear about the amount, which was the one requested, the trip was from the uk, the bank account is in the uk, they are just being obstructive and petty. I don’t really care about the £10 but I find this wholly unacceptable as a matter of principle and will write back.I really think they should be considered in contempt of the cedr binding ruling if there is such a thing.
BA usually defaults to the Euro amount (which is to their advantage), but once they agree to pay you compensation, I’ve found a simple reply to them to ask the the UK amount as stated in UK regulation (reminding them you paid in GBP and are a UK customer), so far they have obliged and paid the difference quite promptly.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by sb1982
I believe it’s the time the plane doors open, not when the plane touches down.
Thank you! Might just cover the cost of an Uber home at this time from LHR!
Old Jun 29, 2022, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by JohnnyCarmello
Thank you! Might just cover the cost of an Uber home at this time from LHR!
If eligible they should pay you the compensation and you should also be able to claim the Uber journey home separately as a reasonable expense after the last trains have gone from Heathrow / so submit Tue receipt on top.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 6:29 pm

Ba99, 29 June

Good evening

Please can someone kindly post the ‘official’ reason for the 6hr delay of BA99 from LHR-YYZ this eve on 29 June.

Thank you very much for your help, much appreciated.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by sb1982
If eligible they should pay you the compensation and you should also be able to claim the Uber journey home separately as a reasonable expense after the last trains have gone from Heathrow / so submit Tue receipt on top.
This forum is infinitely more helpful than asking ground staff at 1am 😂
Thank you!
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 6:42 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mattoo
Good evening

Please can someone kindly post the ‘official’ reason for the 6hr delay of BA99 from LHR-YYZ this eve on 29 June.

Thank you very much for your help, much appreciated.
It just says "DELAY ZO" which is an operational delay and could cover a multitude of sins.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 6:47 pm

OK thanks for the info. Apparently it taxied back to stand tech before getting airborne nearly 6hrs late. Anticipating a refusal for EU261…!

Originally Posted by KARFA
It just says "DELAY ZO" which is an operational delay and could cover a multitude of sins.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 1:10 am
formerly JackDann

Can I ask the experts among us - What would be the benefit of going through CEDR as opposed to MCOL? Considering i’ve read stories of the CEDR process taking such a long time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.