Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2021, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Print Wikipost

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2022, 1:34 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Data point for those waiting on UK261 delay compensation.
June 15th NCE LHR debacle.
Email recieved yesterday confirming payment would be be.Ł205 payable in up to 14 days. This was more than the full return fare. Much faster than Feb/March when it took 7 weeks and this time no quibbling.
BA have now paid me more than Ł1,500 since February.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 2:11 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Help please.

BA579 from Venice to Heathrow next Sunday 3/7 has been cancelled. I can't seem to get expertflyer to show this flight so cant see the cancellation code and so not sure of the reason for cancellation and if compensation will be payable. Called and got moved onto a flight 6 hours earlier.

thanks
Old Jun 26, 2022, 2:15 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If the flight gets cancelled on the day, or day before then the Amadeus scrape, used by ExpertFlyer, will normally give a cancellation code. If the cancellation is some distance off then it won't get a mention in Amadeus, which is intended for operational use by ground staff. So I imagine this is "lack of resources" once again, and would apply for cancellation compensation if there was no alternative offered within the relevant timeframe.
firstlight likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 2:23 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If the flight gets cancelled on the day, or day before then the Amadeus scrape, used by ExpertFlyer, will normally give a cancellation code. If the cancellation is some distance off then it won't get a mention in Amadeus, which is intended for operational use by ground staff. So I imagine this is "lack of resources" once again, and would apply for cancellation compensation if there was no alternative offered within the relevant timeframe.
thanks
Old Jun 26, 2022, 2:24 am

Does anyone know why BA2345 is delayed this morning please?
Old Jun 26, 2022, 2:39 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ZZ100
Does anyone know why BA2345 is delayed this morning please?
There isn't anything showing on this in EF, which is EDI-FLR. But looking at the aircraft's movements yesterday, when its final service was PMI to EDI, it got into Turnhouse over 90 minutes late, so I suspect the minimum rest period meant the delay to the crew being able to start today.
steve170461 likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 3:13 am

Programs: BA (LTG), Miles&More (whatever the lowest level is), Oyster card (zones 1-2)
A couple of moths ago we had a flight to Athens delayed by a total of 3 hours and 14 minutes (I naturally made a note of when the doors opened at our destination of course!). The reason for the first two hours of the delay was a bit unclear; the pilot said nothing, the check-in staff said it was due to the late arrival of the incoming aircraft.

However flight radar showed that the plane we ended up taking had actually been sitting at Heathrow all day, so I assume tech/lack of crew (there were no delay to any other flights at the time of ours) was the actual reason.

The subsequent delay was due to atc restrictions over Germany, the pilot said.

Now I've always assumed that no compensation would be due because it was the atc delays which probably pushed us over the three hour mark. But of course if we hadn’t have been delayed in the first place, then of course that wouldn’t have been an issue.

Is this a yes, no, or worth a shot when it comes to claiming?
Old Jun 26, 2022, 3:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ScruttonStreet
Now I've always assumed that no compensation would be due because it was the atc delays which probably pushed us over the three hour mark. But of course if we hadn’t have been delayed in the first place, then of course that wouldn’t have been an issue.
I suspect this is unlikely to succeed. You are correct that ATC issues - which are very real at the moment - are generally not grounds for delay compensation. It would come down to proving that had the crew not been so late that the ATC delays were of a lower order of magnitude closer to the original time of departure, and my suspicion, without having checked, is that the ATC delays were all day long. If you look at other UK to ATH flights around the time of your planned departure, and what happened to them, you may get a flavour of this. So if easyJet were getting their services through more or less on time, then that would indicate that the airline's own activities brought this on.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
No chance; ATC issues made the difference here/pushed the delay beyond 3 hours.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 5:51 am

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
I just had a lovely email from my compensation regarding a flight 10 days ago. BA agreed to pay as it was a technical issue. May I say I was quite disappointed my last flight ( 3 days ago) was only delayed for 1 hour. I have started making some money for 2022 with all this compensations from BA On a serious note, they replied in less than 10 days which is impressive.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 6:18 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Would someone be able to help me with cancellation reason for BA434 today? Cancelled two hours before departure. Much thanks in advance.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 6:21 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Erwin10
Would someone be able to help me with cancellation reason for BA434 today? Cancelled two hours before departure. Much thanks in advance.
CCRY

which suggests crew related and compensation is payable.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 10:53 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Thanks KARFA!

As a reference for others, had a flight cancelled night before actual flight. Rebooking engine rebooked me for next morning, but managed to rebook myself to a flight 2.5 hours earlier. Requested EU261/UK261 and today received confirmation that they will transfer me full amount instead of 50%. Good outcome Took them just over a week to reply.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Unhappy

Sunday June 26: BA 323 CDG-LHR was only delayed by 10min (arrival), but we waited 30 min for a ramp to be available and to deplane.

I missed my connecting flight AA 141 (LHR-JFK) since I had only 1h to make the connection.
Rebooked by AA EXP desk on Monday June 27, so I will arrive at JFK about 18 hours later than expected.

Am I eligible for ED261/UK261?

ticket was booked on AA, so feel free to move to AA forum if more appropriate.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 3:11 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I would not go down the dialogue rabbit hole about this. Just ask BA to confirm that their answer will not change so you can escalate the issue. One sentence. Once they have confirmed then it's MCOL or CEDR as you prefer.

"Commercial action" is not extraordinary circumstances no matter how you frame it. It's true BA don't have enough staff to commercially run their operations but that is under BA's control. If GAL had told BA to cancel flights, firstly GAL gave over 2 weeks notice, and secondly they would have used different langauage here, such as "restrictions placed by the airport".

Take screen shots of the UK to IBZ flights today.
Thanks for your advice CWS much appreciated!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.