Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2021, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Print Wikipost

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2022, 7:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Lidl Plus
It worked!

Originally Posted by speedbird66
Thank you! Will give it a try.
Submitted my claim last Wednesday evening (15 Jun), received an email from BA this lunchtime (23 Jun) telling me the application was approved and I'll be seeing EUR250 in my bank account within 14 days.
Bluekjp likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 11:23 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
DELETED, as I have now seen the up-thread discussion on the issue.

Last edited by Frequentflyer99; Jun 24, 2022 at 11:31 am
Old Jun 24, 2022, 11:55 am

Programs: BA, HH, IHG, RR, AA, KF, EG
Submitting a delay compensation claim now. Flight into ORD was delayed from Paris/CDG due to ‘mechanical issues that were resolved in Paris’ on Thurs 23rd June. BA1601 flight from ORD to LHR took off >3.5h late and arrived >3h late. As a result, I missed my connection from LHR to MAN - BA1394.

I have been moved onto the next available flight - BA1404 which leaves at 21.00 from LHR and arrives into MAN at 22.00 which means 7h 50m delayed. All on one booking / ticket.

I believe this entitles me to £520 in compensation? The booking was for business class in all legs.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 12:00 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by scottpat78
Submitting a delay compensation claim now. Flight into ORD was delayed from Paris/CDG due to ‘mechanical issues that were resolved in Paris’ on Thurs 23rd June. BA1601 flight from ORD to LHR took off >3.5h late and arrived >3h late. As a result, I missed my connection from LHR to MAN - BA1394.

I have been moved onto the next available flight - BA1404 which leaves at 21.00 from LHR and arrives into MAN at 22.00 which means 7h 50m delayed. All on one booking / ticket.

I believe this entitles me to £520 in compensation? The booking was for business class in all legs.
Isn’t BA1601 operated by AA? If so no compensation is due.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 12:30 pm

Programs: BA, HH, IHG, RR, AA, KF, EG
It was operated by AA, yes - but on a BA ticket?

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Isn’t BA1601 operated by AA? If so no compensation is due.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 12:50 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by scottpat78
It was operated by AA, yes - but on a BA ticket?
Operator is what counts. It's something of a mantra here, but if you fly on AA from the USA to Europe you are not covered by EC261. It's that simple.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 3:07 pm

Programs: BA Exec Gold
Originally Posted by wilsnunn
I made an online claim on 02/04/2022 regarding a cancellation that was fewer than 14 days before departure. I received email notification on the same day confirming receipt of the claim. I have subsequently recieved updates saying pretty much to keep waiting on 11/04/2022, 16/04/2022 and 30/04/2022 and nothing since then (the last one had subject line "Sorry you're still waiting". What is the best way to follow this up now?
I submitted a claim on 27 Mar and had a similar weekly update for the following 3 weeks and then silence reigned. Rather than jump onto the MCOL/CEDR bandwagon on week 8 and giving myself a load more hassle with forms I decided that BA very likely required more time getting through all the claims. Yesterday at about week 12 I received an email confirming the claim is valid and will be paid. Patience is a virtue.

Last edited by Bluekjp; Jun 24, 2022 at 3:08 pm Reason: Grammar
Old Jun 25, 2022, 1:15 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, cancellation compensation stems from the event, and that has happened. It's different to delay compensation, where broadly speaking you have to sustain the event to have a claim. But once cancelled - and if no substitute is offered within the relevant time frames via the Disruption page in MMB - then you can have both a refund and EC261 cancellation refund. Note that if the disruption page gave an alternative before the cancellation and thus has you arriving early / on time then the amount you will get from BA will be half the standard amount.
Thanks CWS. I submitted my claim yesterday and got a reply this AM at 0540 stating that as my flight was cancelled due to "commercial action" it was not eligible for compensation.

This is very vague. How can I respond to this ? Can I ask BA to provide a fuller explanation with proof ?

(flight was BA2874 on 25 June LGW-IBZ 2115, has been cancelled every week of the schedule so far except one)
Old Jun 25, 2022, 1:52 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by WeLoveSpace
This is very vague. How can I respond to this ? Can I ask BA to provide a fuller explanation with proof ?
I would not go down the dialogue rabbit hole about this. Just ask BA to confirm that their answer will not change so you can escalate the issue. One sentence. Once they have confirmed then it's MCOL or CEDR as you prefer.

"Commercial action" is not extraordinary circumstances no matter how you frame it. It's true BA don't have enough staff to commercially run their operations but that is under BA's control. If GAL had told BA to cancel flights, firstly GAL gave over 2 weeks notice, and secondly they would have used different langauage here, such as "restrictions placed by the airport".

Take screen shots of the UK to IBZ flights today.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 2:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
My Lhr-Ibz flight for today was cancelled on Wednesday evening which is when I put my claim in...still waiting for a reply from BA
Old Jun 25, 2022, 3:59 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
I had DUB-LHR flights for this upcoming Tuesday cancelled by BA, so within the 14-day window. I went to MMB and rebooked myself on the latest possible flight that day, which is DUB-LCY. My original flight landed at 18:55, while this new flight lands at 17:30. Would I still be eligible for EU261, since my flight was cancelled (and there was no available BA flight to LHR within several hours?)
Old Jun 25, 2022, 4:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by steveholt
I had DUB-LHR flights for this upcoming Tuesday cancelled by BA, so within the 14-day window. I went to MMB and rebooked myself on the latest possible flight that day, which is DUB-LCY. My original flight landed at 18:55, while this new flight lands at 17:30. Would I still be eligible for EU261, since my flight was cancelled (and there was no available BA flight to LHR within several hours?)
I know this is complicated, but we need both original and new arrival and departure times with cancellations. Looking up the times, the LCY departs at 15:55 and the cancelled LHR service departs at 17:25 So that means the service is eligible for EC261. However if BA had offered you the Aer Lingus services to LGW or LHR then you would not be eligible since there were services which operated within the permitted time windows. It wouldn't matter if you accepted or declined the Aer Lingus services.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 7:11 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
I know this is complicated, but we need both original and new arrival and departure times with cancellations. Looking up the times, the LCY departs at 15:55 and the cancelled LHR service departs at 17:25 So that means the service is eligible for EC261. However if BA had offered you the Aer Lingus services to LGW or LHR then you would not be eligible since there were services which operated within the permitted time windows. It wouldn't matter if you accepted or declined the Aer Lingus services.
Original: Leave DUB 5:25 PM, arrive LHR 6:55 PM
New: Leave DUB 3:55 PM, arrive LCY 5:30 PM

BA did not offer the EI flights in MMB and did not automatically rebook me when announcing the cancellation.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by steveholt
Original: Leave DUB 5:25 PM, arrive LHR 6:55 PM
New: Leave DUB 3:55 PM, arrive LCY 5:30 PM

BA did not offer the EI flights in MMB and did not automatically rebook me when announcing the cancellation.
In which case the LCY flight is more than an hour early on departure time so it is eligible for EC261 cancellation compensation, albeit paid at 50% due to the new arrival time being before the original arrival time.
steveholt likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 7:24 am

In which case the LCY flight is more than an hour early on departure time so it is eligible for EC261 cancellation compensation, albeit paid at 50% due to the new arrival time being before the original arrival time.
That's fine - thank you as always for the guidance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.