Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2021, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Print Wikipost

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2022, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by checkerboard
Back in March, BA managed to mishandle my bags, and I arrived in Cape Town with nothing but the clothes I'd been wearing for the 2-days I'd been traveling. The baggage-clerk that took my report at CPT told me to buy what necessities I needed, and send the receipts to BA via their website, which I did just as soon as my bags were finally delivered to me. It's not a huge amount - just a new set of clothes to wear and some toiletries. For a time, BA sent me automatic replies, about once a week, apologizing for the delay in replying to me, as follows:
  • April 5th, E-mail subject: "We're on the case"
  • April 9th, E-mail subject: "We'll be in touch"
  • April 16th, E-mail subject: "Thank you for bearing with us"
  • April 23rd, E-mail subject: "Sorry you're still waiting"

And, since then - crickets.

I've written once to update the case, asking what's going on - but no further replies.

What can I do to get this resolved?
I would
1) Escalate the case to CEDR now. Claim all costs.
2) Put in a subject access request under GDPR to see all information relating to that flight and your complaint. It is likely BA will have made notes and/or closed the complaint without telling you. It is useful to see what they have been saying.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 9:39 am

Programs: BA Silver
See The Air Passenger Rights and Air Travel Organisers’ Licensing (Amendment) (EU Exit) Regulations 2019
sayling likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 11:10 am

Programs: BA Gold
Not sure if I‘m entitled to any compensation?

- BA 212 from BOS to LHR was cancelled because of technical reasons (departure 7.15 pm), missed connection to BA flight to STR (arrival 11.45 am / one ticket)

- rebooked on LX via ZHR the same day (departure 10 pm) to STR with a arrival on 2.09 pm
Old Jun 9, 2022, 12:21 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
No compensation due for this, this is EC261 working correctly, you were rebooked with a delay under 3 hours, presumably thanks to a slick transit in Zurich.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 11:30 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Success

Received an email from BA this morning accepting my argument regarding £ compensation and offering to pay a further £38 bringing it to £2080 (4 @ £520).
Old Jun 10, 2022, 8:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
Hi Fellow FT Folks

Looks like I've been downgraded out to MAD - it's a IB prime flight, BA 125 ticket. Who do I need to follow up with on my EC261 claim? Note this is a ticket that originated in LAX!! Thank you
Old Jun 10, 2022, 9:11 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The flight operator, presumably Iberia. Good luck.
our_kid and alex67500 like this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 10:59 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Silver
Any ideas why BA 8752 LCY - BHD tomorrow (11 June) has been cancelled as of this afternoon? Have been auto rebooked from LHR on BA1416 in economy (originally POUGed to Business) with an arrival time of 1410 vs original plan of 1200. Bit of a pain as having to trek to LHR from the city so won’t even get much more of a lie in!
Old Jun 10, 2022, 11:04 am
Original Poster

CCRY - crew shortage, eligible for EC261. 125€ or thereabouts.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
CCRY - crew shortage, eligible for EC261. 125€ or thereabouts.
thank you for the speedy reply. I suspected it was due to the ongoing BACF crew shortage or not wanting to night stop the aircraft in BHD over the weekend but the confirmation saves me having an argument with BA about it!

Last time I had a cancellation and downgrade they refused downgrade reimbursement apart from a fare refund (it was an Avios booking) on the grounds that I wasn’t downgraded as the rebooking was ticketed in economy and flown as such(!) In the end I didn’t fight it as Mennens worked out similar to the refund offered, but any thoughts? Interestingly on that occasion the fare difference was calculated as 3400 Avios plus £10 on a return fare of 14500 plus £95. The difference in APD alone is £13!
Old Jun 10, 2022, 11:50 am
Original Poster

You may be able to be rebooked into Club tomorrow by the time the dust settles. If not Mennens applies on the basis of fare plus POUG minus APD and LHR charges. And since it's only 30% of what ever is left, you may end up owing BA money. So maybe an Avios gesture is better, and you could suggest that in lieu of a refund.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 3:48 pm

You may be able to be rebooked into Club tomorrow by the time the dust settles. If not Mennens applies on the basis of fare plus POUG minus APD and LHR charges. And since it's only 30% of what ever is left, you may end up owing BA money. So maybe an Avios gesture is better, and you could suggest that in lieu of a refund.
Am planning to ask at LHR tomorrow morning. At worst will just ask for POUG back as I suspect any other calculation (including current asking price for Y - currently sold out) will not be in my favour!

Thanks for advice. I suspect these issues didn’t happen so much before but in the current spate of domestic cancellations are coming to the fore.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 4:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
The Regulation is not defined so tightly so as to definitely rule that in or rule it out. There is certainly a valid line of argument that where there is no alternative then a hotel booking is part of Right to Care. Had it been a case of staying an extra night due to BA delaying the return service then that's definitely in scope. Personally I would give it a go, and then you have a decision to make if you are prepared to escalate to CEDR or MCOL.
I submitted this claim yesterday for the additional night hotel stay as the only rebooking option was flying out 1 day earlier. Within 24hrs I've had the claim accepted. Thanks all - would never have considered that was claimable without FT!
Old Jun 11, 2022, 11:18 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by bd95
Am planning to ask at LHR tomorrow morning. At worst will just ask for POUG back as I suspect any other calculation (including current asking price for Y - currently sold out) will not be in my favour!

Thanks for advice. I suspect these issues didn’t happen so much before but in the current spate of domestic cancellations are coming to the fore.
There's no customer service at LHR, any compensation request will have to happen online.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 5:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by peter3102
Received an email from BA this morning accepting my argument regarding £ compensation and offering to pay a further £38 bringing it to £2080 (4 @ £520).
Interesting? I got a confirmation that my claim for BA84 last Saturday was accepted in just a few days, but the amount quoted was in €- €300 each. I just assumed they were laggards in updating their standard email? I’ll see what turns up and then decide, another email is free I supposed for an extra few quid?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.