Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2021, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Print Wikipost

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2022, 7:59 am

A question about rerouting to an alternative airport.

I had both sectors of my journey to Seville (LHR-MAD-SVQ) on May 28th cancelled with just 24hrs notice. I was not offered an alternative flight to Seville until Monday 30th May so asked instead to be rerouted to Malaga on the 28th and arranged an onward transfer. I arrived on time to Malaga but this was 1hr 45mins later than my original flight would have arrived to Seville. Is this the total length of the delay or does it include some or all of the time taken to reach Seville?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 8:25 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by GLA350
I had both sectors of my journey to Seville (LHR-MAD-SVQ) on May 28th cancelled with just 24hrs notice. I was not offered an alternative flight to Seville until Monday 30th May so asked instead to be rerouted to Malaga on the 28th and arranged an onward transfer. I arrived on time to Malaga but this was 1hr 45mins later than my original flight would have arrived to Seville. Is this the total length of the delay or does it include some or all of the time taken to reach Seville?
You should add in the time to get to Seville to the Malaga arrival time, I would argue "your final destination" remains Seville. Had you accepted BA's original offer to Monday, then you would also have been well over the time needed for compensation. There is an issue here in that the definition of final destination is what it says on your ticket at check-in, which presumably was AGP. However this can in turn be challenged by the reference in the same definition - on the issues of connections - to the original planned ariival time, i.e. before the change. BA are also responsible for the costs of getting you to Seville, regardless of what they said at the time.
george77300 likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 9:33 am

Sorry if this is a silly question. The gov.uk website states 'Claims issued in MCOL must be for no more than one claimant and against no more than 2 defendants (people or organisations)' Does this mean each person in a travelling party must make their own claim or is a travelling party on one booking classed as one claimant?
Old Jun 6, 2022, 9:57 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by mastutio
Sorry if this is a silly question. The gov.uk website states 'Claims issued in MCOL must be for no more than one claimant and against no more than 2 defendants (people or organisations)' Does this mean each person in a travelling party must make their own claim or is a travelling party on one booking classed as one claimant?
If you are using MCOL, the best tactic is to put in one claim only for one person, get through that, and then point out to BA that you will rinse and repeat. Usually that does the trick without much extra difficulty. By all means mention in your MCOL submission that there were other people in your party and they will form part of a separate submission in due course.
mastutio and sayling like this.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 10:39 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Originally Posted by JeffBHD
The very same response I received for my SFO F>J downgrade. After much to and fro, they refused anything other than an avios difference reimbursement. Now with CEDR.
Please keep us posted, just in case I have use CEDR. Thank you.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 2:10 pm

Thank you for this swift response.

I've had something of a run of bad luck with my travels with BA this year so I'm grateful to you again, C-W-S, for your guidance in this thread.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 2:42 am

Programs: BA Gold/AF Gold/HHonors Gold/AMEX Plat/Bonvoy Gold/TAP Miles and Go Gold
HI All,

Would appreciate if someone has any idea on how BA pays the claim for EC261? I received a successful response to my claim on 26th May 2022 for a delayed flight LHR/ATH for my mother and myself (different last names, same claim). BA answer was "400 EUR each and we will transfer the total directly into your account within 14 business days" but today I received only the compensation of one passenger into my UK bank account but missing the compensation of the other passenger on the booking (just received EUR 400.00 instead of EUR 800.00). Any light on this?

Thanks!
Old Jun 7, 2022, 3:26 am

Originally Posted by tlott
Hello,

I opened a CEDR dispute after BA ignored my delay complaint for over 8 weeks. After I opened the CEDR dispute (awaiting their assessment of my case), BA replied, denying my claim because the flight was delayed due to "operational reasons outside of their control". Should I withdraw my dispute with CEDR and follow up with BA (asking for confirmation their decision will not change), or keep my case open and ignore BA's reply (as it will probably go to CEDR anyway)?

Thanks for any advice
Following up, BA replied to my CEDR case accepting that they are liable for the delay (opposite of their initial customer care reply to me) and agreed to pay £520/passenger.
​​​​​
Old Jun 7, 2022, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by giansil
HI All,

Would appreciate if someone has any idea on how BA pays the claim for EC261? I received a successful response to my claim on 26th May 2022 for a delayed flight LHR/ATH for my mother and myself (different last names, same claim). BA answer was "400 EUR each and we will transfer the total directly into your account within 14 business days" but today I received only the compensation of one passenger into my UK bank account but missing the compensation of the other passenger on the booking (just received EUR 400.00 instead of EUR 800.00). Any light on this?
My guess is that BA takes the view that you are not entitled to collect the compensation for others/your mom. She would probably have to contact BA and authorise the payment into your account.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by GLA350
If you requested to be rerouted to AGP and arrived with only 1h:45m delay, I fail to see how this can qualify for EU Reg. 261/04 compensation as AGP will regarded as your new final destination.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 6:02 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Hi, firstly thanks to everyone who contributes to this board and thread for your help!

I am trying to work out (1) who I can claim duty of care expenses and compensation from and (2) whether to do MCOL or CEDR for ease / simplicity.

2 travellers, caught out by Comair's grounding in March 2022, on the return leg (PLZ-JNB-LHR) on a BA Holidays package. So the original cause of the delay was PLZ-JNB being cancelled, BA didn't correspond with us at all, their delay in contacting us and refusal to rebook our long-haul on any other airline (e.g. Qatar) meant we were delayed by 2 days. So that's one lot of expenses (duty of care). Then from JNB-LHR two days later, the aircraft had an instrumentation issue and was delayed another 24 hours, so that's more duty of care expenses and a solid case for UK261 compensation due to both passengers. We put in a claim ~10 weeks ago and last had an email saying 'sorry for the delay in responding' in April 2022 so it's time I wrote a letter before action. The BAH duty call handler explicitly said we could claim our expenses through BA (not Comair) so for MCOL/CEDR is the claim for all expenses and compensation against BA Plc (or BA Holidays) or do I need to unpick the expenses caused by Comair and the expenses caused by BA long-haul? And then because there are some expenses on my credit card and some on my partners, can I claim for everything from CEDR in one claim? I think this will be simpler than trying to split the expenses and compensation claim for MCOL and then going through it all again for the second person. Can you claim interest through either CEDR or MCOL for BA's delaying tactics/failure to respond? Thoughts? (Thanks in advance)
Old Jun 7, 2022, 9:16 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Bohinjska Bistrica
Looking for some advice on whether CEDR/MCOL is the best avenue for this. I'm still waiting on a response for an email submitted on the 1st of March. I'm aware this is well beyond 8 weeks, but I didn't submit anything to CEDR due to other things going on/my own laziness.

In essence, the claim is for compensation as both legs of my CE flight were operated 3-3 due to disruption (my route saw no cancellations). I have seen a couple of people say they were compensated on this already, but I've not heard back yet. In short, I asked for a portion of the fare difference to be refunded. In reality, I'd accept a decent amount of avios.

Anyway, I finally got round to filing the CEDR claim a couple of nights ago. When viewing the options presented to me for "claim type", none of them match my circumstances. You get baggage, cancellation, delayed flight, denied boarding or problems faced by disabled passengers.

Having seen this, it looks like MCOL might be the better solution here. Is it a fair assumption that this isn't really in the scope of CEDR and MCOL os the better option?
Interestingly, BA has now responded to this, 14 weeks to the day that the complaint was raised.

They have said that I'm entitled to a partial refund of the fare paid and that they'll be in touch separately about this. I'll await further details.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 11:07 am

Programs: BA Gold; Marriott Gold ; Hilton Gold
Does anyone have an idea of how long it takes for a request like this to be processed? On 30 May I was downgraded from First to CW at the gate due to a broken seat, even though it wasn't even my seat. I sent them the below email last week, this was a paid reservation and I am now BA silver. I send this to the email address listed on the from letter they gave me at the gate

​​​​​​I was downgraded from First to Club World at the gate due to broken seat. (1A) However the actual broken seat was not mine but another passenger who was given my fully operational seat (my boarding pass seat was 2A), despite the fact that I had purchased the seat almost a year prior on June 20 2021. I respectfully request my 75% fare reimbursement per EC 261/2004. In addition I request a significant discount code or First Upgrade code for a future flight as compensation for this issue. In my opinion the fact that it wasn't even my seat that was broken, warrants this additional concession from BA. I appreciate your consideration of this request.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by giansil
It depends on whether you can banking details to BA as part of this claim, or whether BA have simply refunded to your original point of payment. And also how the original payment for your ticket was done. But if for example you did not provide banking details AND you paid for both tickets yourself then I would expect the other 400€ to follow in a day or two. Either way you would need to wait 3 weeks from that message before complaining about it. Sometimes mistakes are made with payments but usually they can be quickly rectified.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by konagirl2
2 travellers, caught out by Comair's grounding in March 2022, on the return leg (PLZ-JNB-LHR) on a BA Holidays package. So the original cause of the delay was PLZ-JNB being cancelled, BA didn't correspond with us at all, their delay in contacting us and refusal to rebook our long-haul on any other airline (e.g. Qatar) meant we were delayed by 2 days. So that's one lot of expenses (duty of care). Then from JNB-LHR two days later, the aircraft had an instrumentation issue and was delayed another 24 hours, so that's more duty of care expenses and a solid case for UK261 compensation due to both passengers. We put in a claim ~10 weeks ago and last had an email saying 'sorry for the delay in responding' in April 2022 so it's time I wrote a letter before action. The BAH duty call handler explicitly said we could claim our expenses through BA (not Comair) so for MCOL/CEDR is the claim for all expenses and compensation against BA Plc (or BA Holidays) or do I need to unpick the expenses caused by Comair and the expenses caused by BA long-haul? And then because there are some expenses on my credit card and some on my partners, can I claim for everything from CEDR in one claim? I think this will be simpler than trying to split the expenses and compensation claim for MCOL and then going through it all again for the second person. Can you claim interest through either CEDR or MCOL for BA's delaying tactics/failure to respond? Thoughts? (Thanks in advance)
As ever, MCOL for fastest results, CEDR for ease of process. If you are past 10 weeks then you can go to CEDR without any further delay and put the whole amount in one claim. For MCOL just make one claim, reference the other claim in the documentation but exclude it from the amount claimed. When BA concede or you win the case then you can threaten the rinse and repeat, plus you will have the direct email of someone in BA to resolve it. With MCOL you can claim interest, however BA as a policy won't pay it unless the court specifies it. You can use this as a bargaining chip, so include that and every other item you can think of if you go MCOL. Strictly speaking this are two separate claims from two different business units, and BA may use that in the defence statement for MCOL (but not CEDR) but you will say "codeshare, BAH, all moneys went to BA" and I doubt a judge would give BA any space on that argument. It seems a clear case to me, so I would be OK on CEDR for this, if you accept the potentially lengthy process.
konagirl2 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.