Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2021, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Print Wikipost

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2022, 1:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by peter3102
I submitted my claim on 2 April following the cancellation of my connection to Manchester on my return from St Lucia. Today I received an email accepting my claim and the proposal to pay £510.42 pp being the sterling equivalent of €600. Should I demand an additional £9.58 for each of the 4 of us in the booking?
If you can be bothered, they will with no contention. I replied stating I’d like the GBP not EUR amounts. Agreed within 24 hours. Those replies seem to be answered quicker than the initial claim.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old May 29, 2022, 3:15 am

Programs: BD *Gold; BAEC Gold; Flying Blue Gold; SPG Gold; HH Gold
Finding cause of delay…

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

But the cancellations on the day - well it's best to ask here on the day or day after for dispatch information, which can give a clue as to why the flghts were cancelled. In the absence of that, I would put in a claim for the taxi and EC261 and see what they say (and revert back here with the answer).
Hello, I was wondering how do you get dispatch information?
I was on BA482 Friday 27/05 LHR - BCN. We were meant to depart at 1925 but left at 2308 and arrival was meant to be 2230 but arrived at 0208+1. The flight was delayed for 3hr40mins. Communication was patchy and no clear reason was given as to why the flight was delayed.
How do I find out so I could file a claim?

thanks in advance.
Old May 29, 2022, 3:31 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by kiwidragon
Hello, I was wondering how do you get dispatch information?
I was on BA482 Friday 27/05 LHR - BCN. We were meant to depart at 1925 but left at 2308 and arrival was meant to be 2230 but arrived at 0208+1. The flight was delayed for 3hr40mins. Communication was patchy and no clear reason was given as to why the flight was delayed.
How do I find out so I could file a claim?

thanks in advance.
Results from https://www.ExpertFlyer.com
Code:
Flight Status Search:
Departing on 27/05/22
Flying BA flight 482

Flight   Status           Depart Location  Depart Date                   Reliability  Arrive Location  Arrive Date
                          LHR              Scheduled: 27/05/22 19:25                  BCN              Scheduled: 27/05/22 22:30
BA 482   Landed           Term: 5          Estimated: 27/05/22 23:08     NA / NA      Term: 1          Estimated: 28/05/22 2:08
                          Gate: A10        Actual: 27/05/22 23:08                     Gate:            Actual: 28/05/22 2:08
                                                                                      Baggage: 14

Comments:
"DOBA482/27MAY
* OPERATIONAL FLIGHT INFO *            BA 482   -2 FR 27MAY22   
CITY INFO                                       HOUR (LOCAL)  

LHR  ESTIMATED TIME OF DEPARTURE                2305            
     DELAY ZO                                                   
     LEFT THE GATE                              2308            
     TOOK OFF                                   2322            
     ESTIMATED TIME OF ARRIVAL                  0207     BCN    
BCN  AIRCRAFT LANDED                            0157            
     ARRIVED                                    0208            
*1A PLANNED FLIGHT INFO*              BA 482   -2 FR 27MAY22    
APT ARR   DY DEP   DY CLASS/MEAL          EQP  GRND  EFT   TTL  
LHR          1925  FR JCDRI/M  YB/G       319         2:05      
                      HKMLVNOQSGX/G                             
BCN 2230  FR                                                2:05

>"
Nothing there that really helps. Did the captain not explain the reason for the delay?
Old May 29, 2022, 3:58 am

Just a reference point that I'm still waiting for a substantive response on a claim I made for a cancelled flight in early April. I received a couple of replies saying they're very busy and working on it but nothing for past month.

I chased up 2 weeks ago using the update form but no reply or even acknowledgement. I've sent another chaser today but the problem with the form is there's no way of saving it other than taking a screen shot. What next? Patience or write a letter?
Old May 29, 2022, 4:06 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
After 8 weeks just go to CEDR. You could use MCOL if you really wanted to force the pace.
CatchThePigeon likes this.
Old May 29, 2022, 4:31 am

Programs: BD *Gold; BAEC Gold; Flying Blue Gold; SPG Gold; HH Gold
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Nothing there that really helps. Did the captain not explain the reason for the delay?
thanks for the info. It was initially said that the flight would be replaced by Iberia metal and crew but when we finally got to board, it was BA. The replacement crew that was brought in was very apologetic but the captain was none the wiser! He announced he spoke to the ground crew who just told him it was delayed.
Old May 29, 2022, 2:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Silver, HHonors Gold
Just had a response from BA about a claim I made for compensation for BA281 and BA269 on March 30. Compensation has been refused, firstly on the cancellation of BA281, which was apparently down to a 'security reason', 'On the day you were due to travel, Air Traffic Control restricted operations in and out of Heathrow a block of air space your aircraft needed to travel through. I’m afraid this was out of our control and caused unforeseen disruption to our schedule'.

Can anyone, Heathrow Tower maybe, tell me if this is actually true?. Even if it was, I would expect that BA would have a choice in the flights they cancelled, and so had a degree of control in that, negating their 'not our fault' line.

The second bit (BA269) was denied as we were only 170 minutes late due to their IT outage. Can we not take into account the extra delay from the first, cancelled flight departure time?.

Thanks
Old May 29, 2022, 3:14 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by SpurMan
The second bit (BA269) was denied as we were only 170 minutes late due to their IT outage. Can we not take into account the extra delay from the first, cancelled flight departure time?.
If you were booked on another flight which was previously cancelled, then it may be the case that BA can regard the newer booking as standalone, so it depends on the stage of events. For example if you were rebooked earlier the same day then I can't see BA being off the hook. But if it was sometime back then that rebooking is governed by the scheduled rather than actual timing and the rebooked flight then becomes subject to the 3 hour rule without reference to the previous booking. There is some caselaw in this area, but it relates more to the ability to claim EC261 twice (e.g cancelled at 7 days, delayed on the day of travel).
Old May 29, 2022, 3:29 pm

If you were booked on another flight which was previously cancelled, then it may be the case that BA can regard the newer booking as standalone, so it depends on the stage of events. For example if you were rebooked earlier the same day then I can't see BA being off the hook. But if it was sometime back then that rebooking is governed by the scheduled rather than actual timing and the rebooked flight then becomes subject to the 3 hour rule without reference to the previous booking. There is some caselaw in this area, but it relates more to the ability to claim EC261 twice (e.g cancelled at 7 days, delayed on the day of travel).
We were booked on the 281 departing at 11.40am. We were told it was cancelled at 6.30pm the night before, so well within 24 hours, and our only option was the 269 departing at 16:10 (actually departed at 19:29). It landed at 22:00 with a gate time of 22:10 (for a 2 hour 50 delay).
Old May 29, 2022, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SpurMan
We were booked on the 281 departing at 11.40am. We were told it was cancelled at 6.30pm the night before, so well within 24 hours, and our only option was the 269 departing at 16:10 (actually departed at 19:29). It landed at 22:00 with a gate time of 22:10 (for a 2 hour 50 delay).
I would take that as being entitled to at least one EC261 for the first cancellation, because there really must have been alternative ways to get you to LAX within 3 hours of the original timetable. Had the later flight been more delayed (did you carefully note the time the doors opened?) then you could have had 2 lots of compensation. It's BA's responsibilty to inform you of rebooking rights and even if it meant an indirect routing I can not see a delay of that length being both extraordinary and beyond BA's ability to use all reasonable measures to keep you on time. So I'd be inclined to focus on the first flight and I would have thought that is ok for CEDR.
SpurMan likes this.
Old May 30, 2022, 3:12 am

I would take that as being entitled to at least one EC261 for the first cancellation, because there really must have been alternative ways to get you to LAX within 3 hours of the original timetable. Had the later flight been more delayed (did you carefully note the time the doors opened?) then you could have had 2 lots of compensation. It's BA's responsibilty to inform you of rebooking rights and even if it meant an indirect routing I can not see a delay of that length being both extraordinary and beyond BA's ability to use all reasonable measures to keep you on time. So I'd be inclined to focus on the first flight and I would have thought that is ok for CEDR.
I didn't note the time, but their claim does match the times stated on FlightStats and Flightaware. Not sure we could really have got across LAX in 10 mins, but I suppose it could have been.

There were different flights that went, AA137 for example was scheduled for the same time, and got in 44 minutes early!! VS7 also operated with no issues (leaving at 10.30). Both of those were direct flights. So if those were not offered, and we were only offered the option of BA269, does that mean that BA have failed to use reasonable efforts and in not getting us to LA within 3 hours of our original time, even if the cancellation was not their fault?.
Old May 30, 2022, 3:20 am
Original Poster

The existence of other flights running at similar times with other airlines is very persuasive to my mind, not just because it suggests BA had options, but also since one of those options was to rebook you on the other flights.
SpurMan likes this.
Old May 30, 2022, 6:23 am

Hi,

Is anyone able to see please why BA226 was cancelled on Sunday 29 May 2022?

Not an obvious reason as far as I can see.

Thanks in advance
Old May 30, 2022, 6:29 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by hjm12
Hi,

Not an obvious reason as far as I can see.

Thanks in advance
And sadly this doesn’t offer more clarity:

Results from https://www.ExpertFlyer.com
Code:
Flight Status Search:
Departing on 29/05/22
Flying BA flight 226

Flight   Status           Depart Location  Depart Date                   Reliability  Arrive Location  Arrive Date
                          ATL              Scheduled: 29/05/22 22:20                  LHR              Scheduled: 30/05/22 11:35
BA 226   Canceled         Term: I          Estimated: 29/05/22 21:59     59% / 46m    Term: 5          Estimated: 30/05/22 11:03
                          Gate: F1         Actual:                                    Gate:            Actual: 

Comments:
"DOBA226/29MAY
* OPERATIONAL FLIGHT INFO *            BA 226   -1 SU 29MAY22   
CITY INFO                                       HOUR (LOCAL)  

ATL  ESTIMATED TIME OF DEPARTURE                2159            
     FLIGHT CANCELLED                           1433            
     OPER                                                       
     ESTIMATED TIME OF ARRIVAL                  1103     LHR    
*1A PLANNED FLIGHT INFO*              BA 226   -1 SU 29MAY22    
APT ARR   DY DEP   DY CLASS/MEAL          EQP  GRND  EFT   TTL  
ATL          2220  SU FAJCDRIWETY/M       789         8:15      
                      BHKMLVSNQOG/M                             
LHR 1135  MO                                                8:15      
>"
Old May 30, 2022, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hjm12
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
And sadly this doesn’t offer more clarity:
However another FTer has kindly given some details about BA227 LHR to ATL which you can use in the event of any challenge:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...grade-etc.html

So the aircraft had a malfunctioning air conditioning unit which could not be fixed in a timely way on Sunday afternoon in London. This aircraft would then turnaround at ATL, but on the occasion it's being held overnight to run 24 hours later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.