Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2021, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Print Wikipost

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2022, 3:59 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by meechyathere
BA offered a 900 voucher instead of cash compensation. The email (long-winded) did not specify the required amount. Will try to find out what the cash amount is. Is €900 the new EC261 amount? Or is it normal for them to offer higher voucher amounts instead of cash for EC261 claims?
The cash amount is in the early posts of this thread: 600€. And yes, BA seems to go through phases of offering an e-voucher or Avios as an alternative to the cash amount. This is the first recent account of this I've seen in a while. A 50% apparent uplift wasn't unusual when it happened previously.
Old May 20, 2022, 8:18 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Nope, this was presumably at LGW, the base of BA? So "all reasonable measures", including rustling up an new aircraft applies. Moreover the Cancun aircraft was due in at 08:45, the lightening strike some time before that, KIN departs LGW at 12:45 so they had plenty of time to come up with other options. So I would not get into further dialogue with BA, I would ask them to confirm that their position will not change in order to take the matter to CEDR. It is the case that lightning strikes can be considered extraordinary circumstances, so for an aircraft downroute the need for inspection / repair is accepted, but when the CJEU looked this this they also said that any extended delays in this still kept airlines liable for EC261. A lightning strike is not a comprehensive get-out clause. BA chose to operate LGW with the pared back service, given they have unused aircraft elsewhere.
Finally got round to putting in the CEDR claim on this one and will let everyone know how it goes.
Old May 20, 2022, 9:13 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Success - from 31 March chaos

My final leg of an ex-EU trip (DUB-SFO for £1160 return in business class) was cancelled in the chaos on the evening of March 31 and I have just heard that I am to receive 600 Euros as compensation. I submitted my claim on April 1 and so it has taken 7 weeks, but a happy outcome.
Old May 20, 2022, 1:45 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
so...thanks to this thread and CWS, i pressed BA due to a cancelled flight at T-10 and while re-routed, i departed approx 10hrs earlier than planned.

first email to ba: denied as the cancellation was due to operational reasons

second email: cancelled due to extraordinary circumstances

third email: i asked can you clarify was it due to extraordinary circumstances or operational reasons so i have my facts straight for my claim to CEDR and MCOL?

response: apologies for the incorrect denial of claims earlier, we are sending you 125$ (which is what im technically due under EU261).

as this was my first show at the rodeo, i really dont care about the 125$ as it was more to the point that BA are screwing over so many people who do not know better (thanks to this board) or just take what BA say due to poor training or something more sinister to avoid payouts.
Old May 20, 2022, 2:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Another day, another delay or in this case cancellation after stringing us all along for the entire evening…

BA719 (ZRH-LHR) cancelled tonight. 20/5.
Only rebooking option for tomorrow is Basel!
I have to get home no matter what tomorrow morning so I’ve had to take it. The flight is at 7am.

The trains from Zurich aren’t running early enough to get me to the airport in time, I assume an Uber or taxi will be accepted as a reasonable claim? The journey is circa 1 hour and knowing Switzerland will be 200 CHF.

The email with the alternate flight auto rebook states ‘Please be aware that if you agree to choose a different departure point or destination to the ones on your original booking, you can't claim expenses for travel from, to or between these locations, such as car hire, parking costs or train tickets.’

How can this be allowed when they have no offered me any alternative flights from Zurich until I think it was Sunday or Monday!

I’ve also had to book a hotel at 10pm, which came in at 230 CHF.
I really didn’t fancy trying to trek to Basel at this time of night and then get into a hotel, so I’ve got a hotel near ZRH.

Finally, will it be eligible for compensation? The delay appeared to be due to our aircraft leaving Milan 3 hours late earlier in the day and then not even leaving London tonight to do the outbound.

Thanks.
also sorry for any typos. On my phone.

Last edited by GuyWMD; May 20, 2022 at 2:39 pm
Old May 20, 2022, 2:37 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The guidelines suggest a £50 maxima for taxis, but I know they have paid more and though this is a bit messy from an EC261 point of view (the relevant clause relates more to switches at the arrival end) then you should be able to get more than £50 if there is no practical alternative. Which probably is a hotel in Basel instead.
GuyWMD likes this.
Old May 20, 2022, 2:42 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, BA Gold
Originally Posted by VSLover
so...thanks to this thread and CWS, i pressed BA due to a cancelled flight at T-10 and while re-routed, i departed approx 10hrs earlier than planned.

first email to ba: denied as the cancellation was due to operational reasons

second email: cancelled due to extraordinary circumstances

third email: i asked can you clarify was it due to extraordinary circumstances or operational reasons so i have my facts straight for my claim to CEDR and MCOL?

response: apologies for the incorrect denial of claims earlier, we are sending you 125$ (which is what im technically due under EU261).

as this was my first show at the rodeo, i really dont care about the 125$ as it was more to the point that BA are screwing over so many people who do not know better (thanks to this board) or just take what BA say due to poor training or something more sinister to avoid payouts.
But that amount is wrong, you should get the full amount without the 50% deduction.

I had exactly the same, flight to Zagreb cancelled 12 days earlier, rebooked onto morning flight, first operational reasons, then submitted CEDR complaint, then got the apology and today £220 arrived in my bank account
flashware likes this.
Old May 20, 2022, 3:00 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by petter2
But that amount is wrong, you should get the full amount without the 50% deduction.

I had exactly the same, flight to Zagreb cancelled 12 days earlier, rebooked onto morning flight, first operational reasons, then submitted CEDR complaint, then got the apology and today £220 arrived in my bank account
from what i understood, it was only the return that was the problem, and because it was just VIE-LHR, it would mean half of 250$ because i arrived same day but only the departure was moved up...the arrival was near 4hrs earlier.
Old May 20, 2022, 4:53 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, BA Gold
Originally Posted by VSLover
from what i understood, it was only the return that was the problem, and because it was just VIE-LHR, it would mean half of 250$ because i arrived same day but only the departure was moved up...the arrival was near 4hrs earlier.
See here, I expected a 50% but got the full amount without asking, for being moved from 5pm to 10am.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34255260-post132.html
VSLover likes this.
Old May 21, 2022, 12:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The guidelines suggest a £50 maxima for taxis, but I know they have paid more and though this is a bit messy from an EC261 point of view (the relevant clause relates more to switches at the arrival end) then you should be able to get more than £50 if there is no practical alternative. Which probably is a hotel in Basel instead.
I wasn’t far off the mark.

222.42 CHF Uber X for the ride to Basel.
Now to find out how difficult BA are going to be.
Old May 21, 2022, 2:53 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Morning All,

id like some advise, myself and my girlfriend was impacted by the IT outages on 30th March 2022. We was on separate bookings as I was on a work trip so couldn’t book both flights together (BA merged them for me as a Gold). Our CDG - LHR flight was cancelled and had to overnight (Stayed at the Moxy) and then fly home the next morning meaning we are entitled to the Compensation each and refund for expenses.

I submitted the two claims on 1st April and have not heard anything. I then followed up twice as we submitted the claim for myself and my GF separately as on different bookings on 9th May and still not heard anything. As it has now been 8+ weeks. Should or do you recommend MCOL or CEDR for the next steps? I see CEDR seems to allow the airline to keep delaying etc. let me know if I’ve missed anything.

thanks I’m Advance
Old May 21, 2022, 3:03 am
Original Poster

MCOL would speed things up, but you have to pay a court fee and process some forms which aren't too bad but not that user friendly. CEDR indeed is allowing BA to extend their processing times but it still streamlines the process if BA would otherwise decline your case. You also get updates of a sort on progress. CEDR makes it clear you are serious. There is no fee and the online form is more straightforward than MCOL. So it's really up to you how to progress this since a lot depends on your mindset. Two PNRs means two cases.
Old May 21, 2022, 9:13 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by PrivatePilotDR40
Morning All,

id like some advise, myself and my girlfriend was impacted by the IT outages on 30th March 2022.

I submitted the two claims on 1st April and have not heard anything.
See my post above (#1203) – I submitted my claim on April 1 too and heard back from them yesterday, so maybe you'll hear very soon.
Old May 21, 2022, 10:31 am

Compensation Calculation

Can anyone please clarify compensation calculation for flight cancelled within 2 weeks, 2,400km and rebooked on new flight departing 2hrs 30mins earlier than original. I think its £175 (Euro 200) but am I correct ?
Old May 21, 2022, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by PrivatePilotDR40
I submitted the two claims on 1st April and have not heard anything. I then followed up twice as we submitted the claim for myself and my GF separately as on different bookings on 9th May and still not heard anything. As it has now been 8+ weeks. Should or do you recommend MCOL or CEDR for the next steps? I see CEDR seems to allow the airline to keep delaying etc. let me know if I’ve missed anything.
I suggest to give it a few more weeks. Clearly BA is burdened by the sheer number of claims for reimbursement and compensation currently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.