Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2021, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Print Wikipost

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2022, 3:15 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by flieduk
Thanks! What is the compensation if the flight is cancelled and the routing they offered me was the next day (i.e. to arrive almost a day later) and I instead re-book on an earlier flight (i.e a day or 2 days prior to the original flight)? Is it the 250 euro per passenger?
Depends on distance, notice period, and time difference of the offered flights. Have you had a read of the reference posts at the start of the thread?

Also compensation may not be payable depending on the reason.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 3:27 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by KARFA
Depends on distance, notice period, and time difference of the offered flights. Have you had a read of the reference posts at the start of the thread?

Also compensation may not be payable depending on the reason.
I had briefly - but I just assume that given it is a short-hop from EDI-FRA that I would be on the minimum tier. I need to check whether the fact that the onward flight to EZE makes any difference.

True that it is reason dependent. But I would love to see the exceptional circumstances they rely on here when they cancelled 4 days+ prior.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 3:45 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If it helps the NCL evening service to Frankfurt is running for some reason, so that would be the easiest option if Lufthansa can rebook you on that, there are seats for sale. But you get the full distance compensation, EDI to EZE, or should do, and cancellation stands alone even if you decide not to fly at all. But it's all in the initial posts, it wouldn't be sensible to re-write it all for every single enquiry in this space.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 3:54 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If it helps the NCL evening service to Frankfurt is running for some reason, so that would be the easiest option if Lufthansa can rebook you on that, there are seats for sale. But you get the full distance compensation, EDI to EZE, or should do, and cancellation stands alone even if you decide not to fly at all. But it's all in the initial posts, it wouldn't be sensible to re-write it all for every single enquiry in this space.
Of course!

Thanks for info about re-routing but that is sorted now. Took same flights a few days earlier. Which is ideal - what we want is an easy leisure trip. If I was going by myself I might have appreciated changing at various airports along the way.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 5:50 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold
Originally Posted by LSunbury
Interesting first response from Customer Services today to a claim for cancelled flight compensation I made in March. No claim made for alternative travel arrangements.

I'd like to inform you that in order to investigate your claim for EU compensation, we'd require the proof of your alternative travel arrangement to xxx showing the planned departure and arrival timings. This maybe a boarding pass, e-ticket receipt, or a proof of travel from the operating airlines. I'd request you to please send us any of these documents by clicking here.

Maybe by coincicdence I got my first response from CEDR an hour earlier, asking me to confirm that I had waited more than 8 weeks before contacting them (I thought I had already done this in the claim).
I have just had the same first response to a claim I made in April for cancelled flight compensation. I didn’t make a claim for alternative travel as I decided not to travel. Frustrating it has taken exactly 8 weeks today to get this response.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 12:30 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Hello

My BA2874 Gatwick to Ibiza on 25 June at 2115 was cancelled 9 days ago.
I tried to check the cancellation code on ExpertFlyer but the flight simply does not display when I search.
Can anyone tell me the reason for cancellation and cancellation code ? (and thus if I can make an EU261 claim ?)

Thanks in advance
Old Jun 24, 2022, 12:34 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by speedbird85
I have just had the same first response to a claim I made in April for cancelled flight compensation. I didn’t make a claim for alternative travel as I decided not to travel. Frustrating it has taken exactly 8 weeks today to get this response.
and of course alternative travel is none of their business. The right to U.K. 261 compensation is not dependent on your actions, it is a consequence of theirs
Old Jun 24, 2022, 1:28 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by WeLoveSpace
Hello

My BA2874 Gatwick to Ibiza on 25 June at 2115 was cancelled 9 days ago.
I tried to check the cancellation code on ExpertFlyer but the flight simply does not display when I search.
Can anyone tell me the reason for cancellation and cancellation code ? (and thus if I can make an EU261 claim ?)

Thanks in advance
Yes that does happen, particularly to flights that were taken out well before departure like this. The data we are looking at here is an Amadeus scrape which is intended for operational staff use at the point of departure, so there isn't much point in putting data for flights that were never going to be operational, or indeed retaining data for things that happened more than a day or two back. But the usual two points, it's not for you to prove your case, it's for BA to disprove their case. Secondly for cancellations done in advance (but before 7 or 14 days) then it's less likely to be extraordinary circumstances since they clearly have time to do something about it. So make the claim and then we will see what they say. It's most likely a shortage of resources, and staff sickness on a workforce too small to manage their plans. LGW has told BA to reduce some LGW flights, but not many and more than 2 weeks notice was given.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 2:26 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
I am UKEC based and am making an Eu261 claim for a cancelled flight ex Eu to the UK. If my claim were to be paid, would it be in GBP or EUR? I need to know which bank details to give.

Are BA currently subject to any mandatory capacity restraints for T5 departures / arrivals? Just wondering whether they are going to try that as an excuse.

Flight of 1,600km cancelled with 48 hrs notice, rebooked onto flight leaving almost 3 hrs earlier. Should be €400? Have I affected that by ultimately opting for a flight leaving the previous day (but at the same time as the original flight, which worked better for me logistically than the offered alternative earlier on the original date)?

Can anyone assist with the recorded reason for the cancellation of the BA2721 today (24 Jun)? EF is showing OPEY. Does that mean they will definitely accept an Eu261 claim (I have read on another thread that the Y should mean it is eligible)?

Last edited by Frequentflyer99; Jun 24, 2022 at 2:40 am
Old Jun 24, 2022, 2:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
Can anyone assist with the recorded reason for the cancellation of the BA2721 today (24 Jun)? EF is showing OPEY. Does that mean they will definitely accept an Eu261 claim (I have read on another thread that the Y should mean it is eligible)?
OPEY indeed includes a Y for EC261 eligible. OPE means operational, probably staff shortage. HAL have asked airlines to cut capacity, but they gave 3 weeks notice of this. If it was in this category it would show OPEN and there have been a few of those around (e.g. when flow rates were cut). You will probably get half payment for going early, particularly given that was the flight that the Disruption page showed for you. There is a debate upthread about this, but this is what would be paid by BA, rightly or wrongly. BA can pay in either GBP or EUR or quite a few other currencies via Swift, the detault in your case is GBP and that will typically be faster than alternative currencies.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 3:33 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Yes that does happen, particularly to flights that were taken out well before departure like this. The data we are looking at here is an Amadeus scrape which is intended for operational staff use at the point of departure, so there isn't much point in putting data for flights that were never going to be operational, or indeed retaining data for things that happened more than a day or two back. But the usual two points, it's not for you to prove your case, it's for BA to disprove their case. Secondly for cancellations done in advance (but before 7 or 14 days) then it's less likely to be extraordinary circumstances since they clearly have time to do something about it. So make the claim and then we will see what they say. It's most likely a shortage of resources, and staff sickness on a workforce too small to manage their plans. LGW has told BA to reduce some LGW flights, but not many and more than 2 weeks notice was given.
Thanks for explaining CWS

Can I still make a claim if I decide not to travel and take a refund ? The alternative they booked me onto (0830 instead of 2115) is not suitable at all.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 3:42 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
OPEY indeed includes a Y for EC261 eligible. OPE means operational, probably staff shortage. HAL have asked airlines to cut capacity, but they gave 3 weeks notice of this. If it was in this category it would show OPEN and there have been a few of those around (e.g. when flow rates were cut). You will probably get half payment for going early, particularly given that was the flight that the Disruption page showed for you. There is a debate upthread about this, but this is what would be paid by BA, rightly or wrongly. BA can pay in either GBP or EUR or quite a few other currencies via Swift, the detault in your case is GBP and that will typically be faster than alternative currencies.
Thanks fur the feedback. On the 50% point, BA are not correct are they? EU261 is very clear as to the permissible parameters for the offered alternatives. In my case up to 1 hr earlier.

As a quick PS, how does it work if there is a permitted alternative (a flight leaving 1hr later), but BA rebooks onto a non-permitted alternative (one leaving 3 hrs earlier)? Is one entitled to rely on the offered alternative as the basis for the claim, or would BA argue that the pax should pro-actively have manually selected the permitted alternative
Old Jun 24, 2022, 3:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WeLoveSpace
Thanks for explaining CWS

Can I still make a claim if I decide not to travel and take a refund ? The alternative they booked me onto (0830 instead of 2115) is not suitable at all.
Yes, cancellation compensation stems from the event, and that has happened. It's different to delay compensation, where broadly speaking you have to sustain the event to have a claim. But once cancelled - and if no substitute is offered within the relevant time frames via the Disruption page in MMB - then you can have both a refund and EC261 cancellation refund. Note that if the disruption page gave an alternative before the cancellation and thus has you arriving early / on time then the amount you will get from BA will be half the standard amount.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 5:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
I made an online claim on 02/04/2022 regarding a cancellation that was fewer than 14 days before departure. I received email notification on the same day confirming receipt of the claim. I have subsequently recieved updates saying pretty much to keep waiting on 11/04/2022, 16/04/2022 and 30/04/2022 and nothing since then (the last one had subject line "Sorry you're still waiting". What is the best way to follow this up now?
Old Jun 24, 2022, 6:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wilsnunn
I made an online claim on 02/04/2022 regarding a cancellation that was fewer than 14 days before departure. I received email notification on the same day confirming receipt of the claim. I have subsequently recieved updates saying pretty much to keep waiting on 11/04/2022, 16/04/2022 and 30/04/2022 and nothing since then (the last one had subject line "Sorry you're still waiting". What is the best way to follow this up now?
See some of the other responses just up thread. After 8 weeks you can go CEDR, or you could go MCOL now if you prefer. As to which is best, see above for the advantages/disadvantages, but it's a personal decision really.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.