FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004
Old Jun 24, 2022, 3:43 am
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by WeLoveSpace
Thanks for explaining CWS

Can I still make a claim if I decide not to travel and take a refund ? The alternative they booked me onto (0830 instead of 2115) is not suitable at all.
Yes, cancellation compensation stems from the event, and that has happened. It's different to delay compensation, where broadly speaking you have to sustain the event to have a claim. But once cancelled - and if no substitute is offered within the relevant time frames via the Disruption page in MMB - then you can have both a refund and EC261 cancellation refund. Note that if the disruption page gave an alternative before the cancellation and thus has you arriving early / on time then the amount you will get from BA will be half the standard amount.