Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2021, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Print Wikipost

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2022, 4:36 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
It should be £220/£350/£520 based on the amending SI to the UK261, this came in to force on exit day https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/...ulation/8/made
Old Jul 4, 2022, 4:55 am

Programs: BA, TK, UA, HH
Our BA flight LHR-NCE got cancelled just a few minutes before boarding. We were rerouted the same evening via Madrid with an overnight stopover in Madrid. Stayed at a hotel in Madrid airport. Arrived Nice next day - 16 hours later than we would have if direct BA flight was not cancelled.
Would I claim for both 1) Hotel cost for one night in Madrid and 2) EU compensation? Or just one of the two?
Thanks
Old Jul 4, 2022, 5:05 am

Originally Posted by ADNANALI
Our BA flight LHR-NCE got cancelled just a few minutes before boarding. We were rerouted the same evening via Madrid with an overnight stopover in Madrid. Stayed at a hotel in Madrid airport. Arrived Nice next day - 16 hours later than we would have if direct BA flight was not cancelled.
Would I claim for both 1) Hotel cost for one night in Madrid and 2) EU compensation? Or just one of the two?
Thanks
You claim for both - so compensation for your cancelled flight and then expenses for your hotel costs. When you do the claim on ba.com you tick both boxes and attach copies of receipts for the hotel costs.
adrianlondon and ADNANALI like this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 5:05 am

Programs: BA Silver / EI Silver
I've been waiting for BA to respond on a compensation claim from May 15th. I was on BA3290 MXP-LCY and was delayed, missing onwards connection to BHD. As it was the last flight of the day to BHD, I was put on a flight the next day. I have an email from BA saying "We’re on the case" (May 23rd) and "Sorry you’re still waiting" (June 13th). Haven't heard from them since.

Any suggestions?
Old Jul 4, 2022, 5:25 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
After 8 weeks from your initial complaint you can transfer the complaint to CEDR about this, and I think that's in a few days from now. It won't necessarily speed things up but you will get a better tracking of progress.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 6:18 am

I applied to CEDR in mid May. After an initial query for additional proof of dates, I’ve just received the following reply for my case: “CEDR received an application for adjudication with xxx that has passed the initial case intake review. In accordance with the Rules, British Airways has 60 working days to” respond.
The detail in the notes in my case say “ CEDR completed the initial assessment and concluded that this application falls within the scope of the Scheme Rules.”

Wondering how hopeful I should now be… How much investigation will they have done to decide that my application has “passed the initial case intake review”?

Thank you
Old Jul 4, 2022, 6:30 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Xinran
Wondering how hopeful I should now be… How much investigation will they have done to decide that my application has “passed the initial case intake review”?
They will have just spent 10 minutes leafing through the paperwork to see that the basics are in scope for their work. So for example weeding out anyone who actually travelled on AA from USA to UK, for which EC261 does not apply, but who bought their ticket via BA. It's no assessment on the merits of the case. It's disappointing it has taken so long to do this, the previous standard was 14 days and they often got through this stage in 2 days. It is a symptom of CEDR itself now getting overloaded with work that BA hasn't done. The CEDR response is quite normal, the slowness in doing it is less normal.
Xinran likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 7:09 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by ermis177
Received my compensation today and a few hours after a “We’ll be in touch” email
I'm curious as to which email address and from which department in BA these EC261 claim settlement details come from?
Old Jul 4, 2022, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by sayling
I'm curious as to which email address and from which department in BA these EC261 claim settlement details come from?
The emails in response to submitted claims should come from British Airways Customer Relations <[email protected]>. This is not an email you can actually send messages to though, and any replies need to be sent via the reply form on ba.com - the link to that should be towards the bottom of the email.
sayling likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 11:35 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by KARFA
The emails in response to submitted claims should come from British Airways Customer Relations <[email protected]>. This is not an email you can actually send messages to though, and any replies need to be sent via the reply form on ba.com - the link to that should be towards the bottom of the email.
I'm getting those and using the webform to reply, but a lot of the replies say "it's with the refund team and you should hear shortly", so was wondering if the 'refund team' ever do send replies, particularly detailing their findings/calculations, that's all
Old Jul 4, 2022, 2:06 pm

Are BA prioritising claims and complaints based on status or the issue itself, eg. delay? I’ve had varying response times for family members.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 2:57 pm

I received an email from BA on 29 June to say my Heathrow-Belfast flight on 7 July has been cancelled. This was the BA1418 due to depart at 1725. BA have also cancelled the 1935 departure that day, i.e. they've cancelled the last two Belfast departures of the day.

MMB gave me the options of three earlier flights on 7July (0730 or 1010 departures from LHR or 0855 departure from LCY) or just one option on 8 July (0735 from LHR). I've a work commitment on the morning of 7 July and can't get myself to an airport 7+ hours before the time I was originally due to fly (I couldn't even get there 2 hours earlier!). So I've rebooked for the 0735 departure on 8 July.

I will submit an EC261 claim and so my question is really about a hotel for the night of 7 July. Is this still covered by duty of care even though BA offered flights that morning (albeit 7+ hours early)? And if the answer to that is yes, do I just book a hotel and claim it back from BA at the same time as submitting the EC261 claim, or do I need to try to get them to commit in advance to covering a hotel?

Thanks!
Old Jul 4, 2022, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by rc77
I received an email from BA on 29 June to say my Heathrow-Belfast flight on 7 July has been cancelled. This was the BA1418 due to depart at 1725. BA have also cancelled the 1935 departure that day, i.e. they've cancelled the last two Belfast departures of the day.

MMB gave me the options of three earlier flights on 7July (0730 or 1010 departures from LHR or 0855 departure from LCY) or just one option on 8 July (0735 from LHR). I've a work commitment on the morning of 7 July and can't get myself to an airport 7+ hours before the time I was originally due to fly (I couldn't even get there 2 hours earlier!). So I've rebooked for the 0735 departure on 8 July.

I will submit an EC261 claim and so my question is really about a hotel for the night of 7 July. Is this still covered by duty of care even though BA offered flights that morning (albeit 7+ hours early)? And if the answer to that is yes, do I just book a hotel and claim it back from BA at the same time as submitting the EC261 claim, or do I need to try to get them to commit in advance to covering a hotel?

Thanks!
You submit your receipt afterwards - up to £200 is their "limit" + food and drink - no alcohol
Old Jul 4, 2022, 5:35 pm

Hello, I have had a quick look but couldn’t see anything related and was wondering if someone could please let me know where I would stand on compensation for the over 4 hour delay on BA275 LHR to LAS from this past Wednesday (29 June) as it left the tarmac in London at 9:32pm UK arriving in Vegas at 23:22 local time (delay was 4 hours and 2 minutes).

No explanation has been given.

Any advice is very much appreciated
Old Jul 5, 2022, 4:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
Another data point for the records.

Three months, to the day, after putting in my claim for compensation and associated costs, BA have paid up. They paid according to EU261 rates and not UK261 rates.

This was for a flight on 3 April, GLA - LHR, that was cancelled with about 28 hours' notice. I can't remember what was going on then to cause the cancellation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.