Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2021, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Print Wikipost

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2022, 11:40 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by KARFA
yes. I think up to 6 years is the limit
Worth remembering that you must submit the claim to CEDR within 12 months of a 'deadlock' being reached, should you wish to follow such a route.

Their guidance states " ...you must wait at least 8 weeks from the date you first complained before you can make an application to CEDR Aviation Adjudication", but isn't clear how long - after the complaint was first submitted to the airline and subsequently ignored - you have in which to submit your application to CEDR.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 4:14 pm

Programs: BAEC
Is there any guide as to how long to wait after BA has said you are due compensation and when it gets transferred to your bank? Just heard from them on my recent claim. In the US/US bank account if it makes any difference.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 4:27 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It may say in that confirmation that it will take 10 / 15 business days, and we've seen reports elsewhere of 10 elapsed days.
TangoOneSeven likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 1:44 am

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott TfL, Hertz 5*
My claim approved for similar situation

Originally Posted by AleTrail
Here's an interesting one, intra UK 1 leg flight.

BA cancels original booked flight (staffing reasons)
Rebooked, this new flight arrives within 2 hours of original <- no claim can be made
That rebooked flight then cancelled (staffing reasons)
Rebooked again.
This 2nd rebooking now arrives 4 hours later than original <- claim made.

Claim refused as they base claim on the planned arrival of the cancelled re-booked flight not the cancelled original.
My circumstances :
BA cancels 1st segment of original booked flight
Rebooked on LH arriving similar time
LH cancel flight segment, overnight stay in FRA
Arrive home 14 hours late

I completed BA website claim form July 6th 1845 for EC261 plus hire car expenses , July 7th 1425 I receive a response telling me EC261 claim and expenses claim has been approved !!

And no, I won’t be ‘double dipping’ with LH !!
jonr405 and sayling like this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 2:13 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by wenzlydale
My circumstances :

I completed BA website claim form July 6th 1845 for EC261 plus hire car expenses , July 7th 1425 I receive a response telling me EC261 claim and expenses claim has been approved !!

You are entitled to claim from LH for their cancellation. These are 2 separate cancellations and both subject to UK 261.
alex67500 likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 2:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Mucci: Classe de la Luxe Eternelle
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It may say in that confirmation that it will take 10 / 15 business days, and we've seen reports elsewhere of 10 elapsed days.
It has been 6 weeks since the reply to my claim saying I was due compensation and asking me for my bank details. I have used the contact link twice to follow up but nothing is coming back. Frustrating!
Old Jul 8, 2022, 2:53 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by noFODplease
It has been 6 weeks since the reply to my claim saying I was due compensation and asking me for my bank details. I have used the contact link twice to follow up but nothing is coming back. Frustrating!
I think you are now ok to send a Private Message to BA refund helper (so long as it's not BAH), as an escalation step:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/priv...wpm&u=10076727
Old Jul 8, 2022, 3:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Mucci: Classe de la Luxe Eternelle
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I think you are now ok to send a Private Message to BA refund helper (so long as it's not BAH), as an escalation step:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/priv...wpm&u=10076727
I did this yesterday, on your advice in another thread! Thank you.

Hopefully BA refund helper has seen my message and will be able to help.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 6:37 am

Programs: BA Silver, Amex Platinum
When claiming compensation for a cancelled flight where one leg has been cancelled less than 14 days before (GVA-LHR) and the other still operating (LHR-EDI) where BA can’t rebook from GVA until 48 hours later, can compensation be claimed on both legs or is it treated as one journey for the purposes of compensation? In the end I could not accept the rebooking. I have put in a claim but not sure what I am fully entitled to beyond the 250 euros for the GVA-LHR cancellation (if anything).
Old Jul 8, 2022, 7:02 am
Original Poster

That would be a refund and 250€ compensation for one event. If that second flight got cancelled (and your first leg had been rebooked on Swiss by BA) then that would be another matter.
Ruth4325 likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 8:33 am

So BA have been given their third two week extension today from CEDR as they're "waiting for an internal update". At least they are being consistent in their reason, but it beggars belief that they need six additional weeks to get their act together - no other communication whatsoever. I know I'm not paying by the hour for this, but still seems BA are quite happy to drag this out as long as possible rather than just sort it out. Rant over.
adrianlondon and LCSinTexas like this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 10:32 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by firstlight
This was ba 579 from Venice to London cancelled 8 days before scheduled departure.

mrs firstlight and miss (doctor in training) firstlight returned from Venice today and we've just put in a claim for 250 euros each as their replacement flight scheduled departure was 5 1/2 hours before the cancelled flight. Should be an easy one for BA but we'll see.
... and as it turned out it was easy for BA, notification of 250 euros each received today
sayling likes this.

Last edited by firstlight; Jul 9, 2022 at 1:57 am
Old Jul 8, 2022, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Phlyer2
So BA have been given their third two week extension today from CEDR as they're "waiting for an internal update". At least they are being consistent in their reason, but it beggars belief that they need six additional weeks to get their act together - no other communication whatsoever. I know I'm not paying by the hour for this, but still seems BA are quite happy to drag this out as long as possible rather than just sort it out. Rant over.
You can start an MCOL claim and withdraw the CEDR submission, explaining why. CEDR gets hit when this happens since they can only charge BA for their services on completion, so they will have incurred costs and not recovered them.
adrianlondon and sayling like this.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 1:33 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by wenzlydale
My circumstances :

why not? Not claiming simply reinforces in the minds of airline executives that this is something they can ignore. I take a view that claiming is a public duty as it help protect everyone as it is likely to focus minds.
only the bottom line matters
jonr405 likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 1:41 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I have no problem with people claiming for what they are due, but to describe it as a public duty is a bit over the top.

I assume as you view it as a public duty to claim binman, whenever you do get compensation you donate it all to charity rather than keep anything for your private gain?
DYKWIA, sbs2716g and sayling like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.