Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2021, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Print Wikipost

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2022, 4:49 am

Got denied a claim by BA for compensation for BA2226 from Palma to London City on 19th June. Flight was delayed by 2+ hours and then was diverted to Stansted taking total delay to over 3 hours. BA have denied it on the basis of 'adverse weather' despite no issues in Palma or London. Wanted to check what the best process is to contest - is it worth asking for further explanation from BA or do i just ask them if this is their final stance and then take to CEDR/MCOL? Cheers
Old Jul 9, 2022, 4:54 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by hsan
Got denied a claim by BA for compensation for BA2226 from Palma to London City on 19th June. Flight was delayed by 2+ hours and then was diverted to Stansted taking total delay to over 3 hours. BA have denied it on the basis of 'adverse weather' despite no issues in Palma or London. Wanted to check what the best process is to contest - is it worth asking for further explanation from BA or do i just ask them if this is their final stance and then take to CEDR/MCOL? Cheers
BA tried that with me on a claim when I knew there were no weather issues. I went through CEDR and compensation was agreed. I attached evidence of the weather (there are several sites that provide historical weather data). Good luck.
jonr405 likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 5:47 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by hsan
What did the captain say on board? I suspect the last aspect was curfew related, but usually you can rely on what the flight deck told you.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 5:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I subscribe to Expert Flyer. Could someone tell me how you search for that 4 digit delay code that indicates whether compensation is due? Also, if this isn't stored for too long, what are the best ways to search up delays from long ago?
Old Jul 9, 2022, 6:32 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by kingcole974
I subscribe to Expert Flyer. Could someone tell me how you search for that 4 digit delay code that indicates whether compensation is due? Also, if this isn't stored for too long, what are the best ways to search up delays from long ago?
It's in Flight Status of the main screen / desktop version, searching by date and then flight number. And if you leave it more than a few days the data is simply gone, with no way of recovering it. Hence the very oft repeated request made here and elsewhere that people ask for this information ideally within 48 hours of the flight departure.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 6:54 am

Hi team,

I got a denial due to strike action.

”We're sorry it was necessary to cancel your flight to Belfast on 30 June. Your claim's been refused because BA1416 on 30 June was cancelled because industrial action was carried out on the day you were due to travel. Strikes are an extraordinary circumstance and are outside of our control.”

I’m not aware of any strike action on the LHR-BHD route that day, and so this seems like it was a knock-on effect of a strike. Is there any case for me to push back?
Old Jul 9, 2022, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Simon Schus
I’m not aware of any strike action on the LHR-BHD route that day, and so this seems like it was a knock-on effect of a strike. Is there any case for me to push back?
I suspect INDN was put on your booking, not sure if you checked that in EF at the time? But if so, what it I think it really means is that HAL ran out of security staff at one point and asked BA to reduce services, which led to a heap of cancellations as I'm sure you have seen elsewhere. BA are denying EC261 claims because of this, but it is arguable (in both directions) so you wlll either need to take it to CER or better still MCOL if you want to see this one succeed.
Simon Schus likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I suspect INDN was put on your booking, not sure if you checked that in EF at the time? But if so, what it I think it really means is that HAL ran out of security staff at one point and asked BA to reduce services, which led to a heap of cancellations as I'm sure you have seen elsewhere. BA are denying EC261 claims because of this, but it is arguable (in both directions) so you wlll either need to take it to CER or better still MCOL if you want to see this one succeed.
hmm— on what basis is it arguable?
Old Jul 9, 2022, 7:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by barneyb
I had a cancelled flight (AMS-LHR) the other day, cancelled at 3 days notice. Only rebooking option was a flight departing 2.5h earlier. I believe this is eligible for compensation as <7D notice and no options within -1hr and +2hr. Question is would the reduced €125 apply as I had no delay in arrival (despite lossing a good chunk of my trip with the earlier flight).
They may well pay the 125€ relatively quickly and that will be their application of the relevant wording. There is a debate upthread as to whether that is correct and CJEU has made some udgements which would restrict the 50% cut. But you won't get that easily, as things stand.
Quick response from BA and they have paid the full 250€
Old Jul 9, 2022, 7:53 am
Original Poster

hmm— on what basis is it arguable?
BA will say they had no choice, you will argue they did. See the main 30 June thread.
Simon Schus and jonr405 like this.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 8:00 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Hello
Another of my flights has been cancelled BA8464 tomorrow IBZ-LCY with expertflyer saying CREW.We have been rerouted via Palma leaving 1h45 min earlier arriving 45 min later than original (pretty good actually). Is this eligible for compensation ?
Re-routes for 4th weekend running now…
Thanks in advance
Old Jul 9, 2022, 8:09 am

Thank you cws! I’ll take a look.

I have an interesting other flight question which I haven’t put much thought into before as I was going to leave it but here I am .

I had a BA ticket with JER-LHR-IAD flight back in February when BA had their computer systems go down. It is all on the same ticket, but I intentionally booked JER-LHR on the Sunday and LHR-IAD on the Monday so I could overnight in London. The JER-LHR was cancelled two days before when the BA computer systems went down. As I didn’t trust that other JER-LHR flights wouldn’t be cancelled, I just asked BA to drop the JER-LHR which they did and hung out near London instead as I was already nearby. I then took LHR-IAD the next day as planned (and which arrived to IAD on time).

I put in a EC261 claim for the Band 1 compensation but it was denied as I got to IAD on time still on the Monday, despite the Sunday JER-LHR flight being cancelled.

Is there any EC261 claim here? I arrived on time to my ultimate destination (IAD). I’m unclear whether JER-LHR is considered a connecting flight or not because there was a built-in overnight stay already, though it was on the same itinerary.

I had no costs as I already had my hotel booked in London, and just stayed in London rather than popping to Jersey for two days. This is just an interesting question that I had been pondering and wasn’t sure whether to bother pushing back on BA for rejecting the claim. I can see it either way: as a standalone flight on the same itinerary, or as a connecting flight with the overnight stay being an inherent part of the connection.

Last edited by Simon Schus; Jul 9, 2022 at 8:16 am
Old Jul 9, 2022, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WeLoveSpace
Hello
Another of my flights has been cancelled BA8464 tomorrow IBZ-LCY with expertflyer saying CREW.We have been rerouted via Palma leaving 1h45 min earlier arriving 45 min later than original (pretty good actually). Is this eligible for compensation ?
Re-routes for 4th weekend running now…
Thanks in advance
If you were given less than 7 days notice then yes you are in scope, but BA may spot that they can pay 50% rather than the full rate.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 8:17 am
Original Poster

I put in a EC261 claim for the Band 1 compensation but it was denied as I got to IAD on time still on the Monday, despite the Sunday JER-LHR flight being cancelled.
I would say this is correct on balance. You can't point to the rebooked timings due to the circumstances, and it would hinge on departure time from JER. It may hinge on the sequence - BA offers alternative timing outside the norms allowed for cancellation, you then say no, remove the JER flight - this would make you eligible. If you cancelled JER first off then it looks to me that you rebooked yourself out of scope.
Simon Schus likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 8:24 am

I would say this is correct on balance. You can't point to the rebooked timings due to the circumstances, and it would hinge on departure time from JER. It may hinge on the sequence - BA offers alternative timing outside the norms allowed for cancellation, you then say no, remove the JER flight - this would make you eligible. If you cancelled JER first off then it looks to me that you rebooked yourself out of scope.
interesting! BA autorebooked me onto another flight, as I had the email. Original flight arrival time was 6:55pm into LHR, and the rebooked flight was 10:10pm the same day. I didn’t want to risk that being cancelled too and so I asked for JER-LHR to be removed. I think that aligns with the idea you suggest that the claim might be in scope, right? I am unsure whether I want to pursue it or not either way, as the idea of going to CEDR or MCOL for this seems too fraught.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.