Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2021, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Print Wikipost

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2022, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by ZZ100
Does anyone know why BA2345 is delayed this morning please?
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
There isn't anything showing on this in EF, which is EDI-FLR. But looking at the aircraft's movements yesterday, when its final service was PMI to EDI, it got into Turnhouse over 90 minutes late, so I suspect the minimum rest period meant the delay to the crew being able to start today.

So in the end the outbound to FLR left nearly 2h 45 late with BA2344 back to EDI arriving just over 3hrs once the doors were opened.
BA have responded to my claim that 143 minutes of delay are accepted as their responsibility however the remainder is "partly due to air traffic flow management restrictions that were put in place by Air Traffic Control and 3rd party ground support and supply issues". They have responded saying they are unwilling to provide further details or breakdown of that chunk of time.

Considering that the flight arrived in FLR roughly 3 hours late, I'm not sure I agree that the remaining time was outside of their control. We had a small wait of probably 10 minutes of a slot to leave, but it is hardly extraordinary that you can't get a slot immediately if you rock up 3 hours after planned.

Is it worth pursuing this further through alternative channels?
Old Jul 14, 2022, 6:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold. Hilton Diamond
So in the end the outbound to FLR left nearly 2h 45 late with BA2344 back to EDI arriving just over 3hrs once the doors were opened.
BA have responded to my claim that 143 minutes of delay are accepted as their responsibility however the remainder is "partly due to air traffic flow management restrictions that were put in place by Air Traffic Control and 3rd party ground support and supply issues". They have responded saying they are unwilling to provide further details or breakdown of that chunk of time.

Considering that the flight arrived in FLR roughly 3 hours late, I'm not sure I agree that the remaining time was outside of their control. We had a small wait of probably 10 minutes of a slot to leave, but it is hardly extraordinary that you can't get a slot immediately if you rock up 3 hours after planned.

Is it worth pursuing this further through alternative channels?
If they hadn’t been 143 minutes late, the claimed ATC and third party ground support and supply services wouldn’t be relevant. That said, I don’t see the relevance of the third party and ground support services and it feels like they’re just being lazy by chucking every excuse at it, hence why they’re not prepared to share more info with you so yes, it’s definitely worth pursuing this as the dirty laundry which they might be trying to hide will eventually be aired.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 7:01 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If the case is slightly over 3 hours, then it is the case that it is more likely that a few minutes of that are outside BA's control, so it's always been an area BA have exploited. You can still take the matter to CEDR, if you want them to take a look at this, at which point BA will have to provide the more detailed logs as well as giving you a chance to give informed commentary on it.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 7:37 am

Programs: BA Silver, Amex Platinum
How long is it currently taking BA to reply to compensation claims (to confirm what they will or won’t make an offer) once you’ve receive the case reference email? Any data points? I can see huge variations upthread with some people getting responses in a couple of days and others waiting months.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 7:38 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Ruth4325
How long is it currently taking BA to reply to compensation claims (to confirm what they will or won’t make an offer) once you’ve receive the case reference email? Any data points? I can see huge variations upthread with some people getting responses in a couple of days and others waiting months.
And that's about as good as it gets. The rapid responses seem to be clear cut cases where the dispatch codes were clearly indicating or not indicating that EC261 was in scope.
Ruth4325 likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 8:03 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Indeed, by comparison though I’m still waiting for a response from AA for a flight that was on 4 May.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by Ruth4325
Friend of mine claimed on 3rd April for a flight that had been cancelled a few days prior. He never heard any more so on the 2 month mark he sent it to CEDR. Today he gets email from BA confirming €250 on its way. I have no idea if this owing to the CEDR intervention or not!
Ruth4325 likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 8:23 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
As a data point, BA has just agreed to pay the whole 100% compensation due on an EU to UK flight that was cancelled and on which I was moved to a flight more than 2 hours earlier. I attached a summary of the relevant ECJ judgment (downloaded from the ECJ website) to the claim and told them that I was due 100% and not their usual 50%. They obviously agreed with me. It took 3 weeks for the claim to be processed.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 10:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
Quick one if I may, BA delayed me by approx 26 hours a few weeks ago flying long haul.

OSL-LHR early morning cancelled (due to Flight crew, EF shows Y to compensation) and rebooked on the evening flight, overnight in London then LHR-YYZ the next day.

I believe the €600 compensation and Heathrow hotel (just under £200) are an open and shut case, but what about onward transportation?
I had a Megabus booked at mid day the next day (more than 20 hours after the original scheduled arrival time) to Niagara Falls, unfortunately due to the delay and the infrequency of buses I had to take a private transfer. Will BA cover this? Or is it one for insurance.

Thank you.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 10:27 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
No they won’t cover that. Once they deliver you to your destination then they are done I am afraid.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 10:30 am

Thanks, disappointing but I thought as much!

Only saving grace is they cancelled with enough notice for me to cancel my Toronto hotel booking without penalty...
Old Jul 14, 2022, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by S_W_S
Thanks, disappointing but I thought as much!

Only saving grace is they cancelled with enough notice for me to cancel my Toronto hotel booking without penalty...
Travel insurance should cover the rest.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 11:52 am

If a flight is cancelled less than 2 weeks out and no alternative flight is provided by BA, are we entitled to claim reimbursement for both the costs of getting to our destination ourselves and compensation of 250EUR as part of EU261? BA allowed my to select both options and I wonder how that works.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mkt80
If a flight is cancelled less than 2 weeks out and no alternative flight is provided by BA, are we entitled to claim reimbursement for both the costs of getting to our destination ourselves and compensation of 250EUR as part of EU261? BA allowed my to select both options and I wonder how that works.
Difficult to comment without some specifics but broadly and potentially yes. But any cancellation, any notice, must facilitate a rebooking option OR a full refund option. A compensation option may also apply for cancellations under 2 weeks but the specifics matter. And on rebooking, if BA doesn't rebook they with some caution and some caveats, you can rebook yourself. However note that current cancellations are being blamed on HAL so BA may not be compensating people for this. Or trying not to, though it BA had any sense it would just send the bills to HAL Towers.
welshwiz likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by flashware
Travel insurance should cover the rest.
I need to check my policy, the wording has a lot of "on leaving the UK".
They declined to pay anything as part of a MAD-TLV I had to cancel in 2020.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.