Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2021, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Print Wikipost

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2022, 4:22 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by KARFA
i think the experience will be BA say no and blame HAL so it’s circumstances beyond Ba’s control, and you would have to go to CEDR/MCOL to argue that these cancellations are not exempt from compensation and have any hope of getting something. I don’t think anyone has got that far yet on these latest cancellations.
its an interesting point. Given emirates (and other airlines) have said No to HALs pleadings citing contractual agreements them it could be argued that BA also could have said no to HAL, therefore making the matter under BAs discretion and voluntary control and making it subject to compensation as well. Not affected by this directly but it sounds like an interesting case for an FTer to pursue although I am not a lawyer...
Old Jul 16, 2022, 4:45 am

Programs: BA Gold
As a slight diversion, why are BA not sending texts when flights are cancelled (am only receiving emails). Bookings have my mobile number, is there something I have to set to receive texts as well as emails?
Old Jul 16, 2022, 5:41 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by firstlight
its an interesting point. Given emirates (and other airlines) have said No to HALs pleadings citing contractual agreements them it could be argued that BA also could have said no to HAL, therefore making the matter under BAs discretion and voluntary control and making it subject to compensation as well. Not affected by this directly but it sounds like an interesting case for an FTer to pursue although I am not a lawyer...
well EK have now said ok, presumably HAL have offered them some reduction in fees.

compensation isn’t payable if the cancellation “is caused by extraordinary circumstances which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken.” Now if the airport demands you cancel flights it is a hard argument to say that doesn’t apply here.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 6:34 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The key aspect will be was this extraordinary? And if so could the operating airline have reasonably done something about it. Generally speaking, slow boarding may delay a flight 10 - 15 minutes or so, but if that prevented a connection on the same ticket then usually the airline will say this was just a factoid of a busy day and a very tight connection. That's putting it very generally, different airlines have different approaches. If this a reference to Iberia, to take a randome example, there is almost no easy path for them to pay EC261.
I had to drag IB to court (they sent a barrister along) after a delayed flight led to a missed connection (they took an hour to offload a bag) - they were a PiTA so I kept the case going on a point of principle.YMMV!
flashware likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 6:49 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by KARFA
well EK have now said ok, presumably HAL have offered them some reduction in fees.

compensation isn’t payable if the cancellation “is caused by extraordinary circumstances which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken.” Now if the airport demands you cancel flights it is a hard argument to say that doesn’t apply here.
There is an arguable case that cancellation compensation under UK261 remains due where flights are cancelled within 14 days of departure notwithstanding this is at the behest of Heathrow Airport. EC261 was established to protect the interests of the consumer, not airlines or airports.

Preamble 14 of UK261 provides:

As under the Montreal Convention, obligations on operating air carriers should be limited or excluded in cases where an event has been caused by extraordinary circumstances which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken. Such circumstances may, in particular, occur in cases of political instability, meteorological conditions incompatible with the operation of the flight concerned, security risks, unexpected flight safety shortcomings and strikes that affect the operation of an operating air carrier.

Preamble 15 continues:

Extraordinary circumstances should be deemed to exist where the impact of an air traffic management decision in relation to a particular aircraft on a particular day gives rise to a long delay, an overnight delay, or the cancellation of one or more flights by that aircraft, even though all reasonable measures had been taken by the air carrier concerned to avoid the delays or cancellations.

Preamble 8 provides:

This Regulation should not restrict the rights of the operating air carrier to seek compensation from any person, including third parties, in accordance with the law applicable.

There is an arguable case that nothing in UK261 allows an airline to invoke the 'extraordinary circumstances' defence in the circumstances under discussion here, especially when read in conjunction with Article 13:

Right of redress

In cases where an operating air carrier pays compensation or meets the other obligations incumbent on it under this Regulation, no provision of this Regulation may be interpreted as restricting its right to seek compensation from any person, including third parties, in accordance with the law applicable. In particular, this Regulation shall in no way restrict the operating air carrier's right to seek reimbursement from a tour operator or another person with whom the operating air carrier has a contract. Similarly, no provision of this Regulation may be interpreted as restricting the right of a tour operator or a third party, other than a passenger, with whom an operating air carrier has a contract, to seek reimbursement or compensation from the operating air carrier in accordance with applicable relevant laws.

The reason for the cancellations, a shortage of staff, does not fall under the general definition of an 'extraordinary circumstance'. The CAA have already issued guidance to the affect that a lack of workforce (even if as a result of COVID) does not constitute an 'extraordinary circumstance'. The argument is that a passenger whose flight is cancelled within 14 days of departure is entitled to compensation under UK261 and because those cancellations are at the request of the airport (due to its staffing difficulties) a right of redress applies under Article 13 allowing the operating airline to be reimbursed or compensated.

EC261 was brought to protect the consumer, an airport cannot remove that protection unilaterally.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 9:58 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
I was downgraded on CAG-LGW.

2x Avios RFS ticket with a lap infant. Checked in about 23 hours before the flight. We were in 1DF and then the aircraft config changed overnight to the type without it. Online the adult without the infant was reseated into 1A and me (with the baby) was shown as seat will be given at check-in.

At check-in we were both “asked” to agree to be moved into row 9 in ET because Club was oversold by 1. It was implied I would maybe have to standby with our baby otherwise, although this wasn’t totally explained.

I made clear to the check in staff that I thought this was an involuntary downgrade for both of us as me and our baby going on standby wasn’t really a credible option, and asked them to note this in the booking which they agreed to.

Couple of questions for the hive mind:
- how did a checked-in passenger flying with a lap
infant end up as the one person without a seat?
- can we claim the sandwich we bought in the terminal? We were told we would have lounge access still but were turned away at the lounge (BA passengers at CAG now have lounge access).
- what refund are we due? I assume half the Avios, including the infant, and £25? This would be same using either 261 or fare difference?
Old Jul 16, 2022, 10:07 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by lcylocal
Couple of questions for the hive mind:
- how did a checked-in passenger flying with a lap
infant end up as the one person without a seat?
- can we claim the sandwich we bought in the terminal? We were told we would have lounge access still but were turned away at the lounge (BA passengers at CAG now have lounge access).
- what refund are we due? I assume half the Avios, including the infant, and £25? This would be same using either 261 or fare difference?
I doubt there was much logic here, but on CAG I bet a lot of people were status holders and there's rarely an easy solution. So I guess it was a combination of status, redemption tickets, whether you had confirmed seats in advance. and when you checked in for the flight. Strictly speaking the sandwich isn't claimable unless there was a 5 hour delay but I suspect BA would just pay it. And yes it's a whisker over 1500 km so it's either 50% refund for the leg under EC261 or the fare difference, probably not a lot in it.
lcylocal likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 10:15 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
There is an arguable case that cancellation compensation under UK261 remains due where flights are cancelled within 14 days of departure notwithstanding this is at the behest of Heathrow Airport. EC261 was established to protect the interests of the consumer, not airlines or airports.

As under the Montreal Convention, obligations on operating air carriers should be limited or excluded in cases where an event has been caused by extraordinary circumstances which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken. Such circumstances may, in particular, occur in cases of political instability, meteorological conditions incompatible with the operation of the flight concerned, security risks, unexpected flight safety shortcomings and strikes that affect the operation of an operating air carrier.

Preamble 15 continues:

Extraordinary circumstances should be deemed to exist where the impact of an air traffic management decision in relation to a particular aircraft on a particular day gives rise to a long delay, an overnight delay, or the cancellation of one or more flights by that aircraft, even though all reasonable measures had been taken by the air carrier concerned to avoid the delays or cancellations.

Preamble 8 provides:

This Regulation should not restrict the rights of the operating air carrier to seek compensation from any person, including third parties, in accordance with the law applicable.

There is an arguable case that nothing in UK261 allows an airline to invoke the 'extraordinary circumstances' defence in the circumstances under discussion here, especially when read in conjunction with Article 13:

Right of redress

In cases where an operating air carrier pays compensation or meets the other obligations incumbent on it under this Regulation, no provision of this Regulation may be interpreted as restricting its right to seek compensation from any person, including third parties, in accordance with the law applicable. In particular, this Regulation shall in no way restrict the operating air carrier's right to seek reimbursement from a tour operator or another person with whom the operating air carrier has a contract. Similarly, no provision of this Regulation may be interpreted as restricting the right of a tour operator or a third party, other than a passenger, with whom an operating air carrier has a contract, to seek reimbursement or compensation from the operating air carrier in accordance with applicable relevant laws.

The reason for the cancellations, a shortage of staff, does not fall under the general definition of an 'extraordinary circumstance'. The CAA have already issued guidance to the affect that a lack of workforce (even if as a result of COVID) does not constitute an 'extraordinary circumstance'. The argument is that a passenger whose flight is cancelled within 14 days of departure is entitled to compensation under UK261 and because those cancellations are at the request of the airport (due to its staffing difficulties) a right of redress applies under Article 13 allowing the operating airline to be reimbursed or compensated.

EC261 was brought to protect the consumer, an airport cannot remove that protection unilaterally.
I agree, you could imagine a hypothetical situation where an airline 'leans' on an airport authority to make cancellations rather than do it itself to get out of paying compensation. I suspect anyone trying to get compensation would have to go to MCOL with our learned friend Tobias-UK as amicus curiae. I tend to think that BA would not want this tested in court.
Ruth4325 likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 10:56 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum

Preamble 15 continues:

Preamble 8 provides:

Right of redress

Thanks you for setting this argument out so clearly - much appreciated !
Old Jul 16, 2022, 11:00 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
There is an arguable case ....
Thanks. Yes sorry I didn't mean to imply there wasn't a coherent argument in favour of compensation being payable, I guess my cautious tone was really a reflection that anyone pursuing BA would face a bit of a fight to have any chance of success.

Of course I assume anyone who uses your argument and wins will forward an appropriate percentage
86BA7 likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 4:44 pm

Programs: BAEC
Is there not also an argument that it's a commercial decision by the airline over which passenger and/or which flight they choose to cancel to fit in with HAL's request?
Old Jul 16, 2022, 8:26 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I still have a 50% off Avios booking in J that has been pushed many a time due to cancellations, and is now booked this winter on HND-LHR.

It's very possible that BA cancels this flight on their winter schedule. If that occurs, my understanding of the regulations is that I have a right to be rebooked "at the earliest opportunity", but no explicit right to be rebooked on another airline. In this situation the earliest opportunity to fly on BA could be months later.

I am wondering if BA has a general policy on what situations they would agree to re-book on a codeshare partner like JAL, and if I'm likely to have success with a request like that? Although this is all theoretical now, it's not an unlikely scenario with the Russian airspace issues so I'm wondering if I should be planning a backup option now or if BA will take care of me.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 12:26 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by sayling
Is there not also an argument that it's a commercial decision by the airline over which passenger and/or which flight they choose to cancel to fit in with HAL's request?
yes - and they’ll have to demonstrate that they did everything “reasonable” in the circumstances about how they made their decision. Personally I don’t think the bar would be very high for BA in this situation, but if you get your facts in order and present a good argument (is it reasonable if they cancel 75% of flights on one route and hardly any on routes with similar frequency?) they could mess up / drop the ball if you went MCOL route. Given everything that’s going on they might even miss the deadline for a response, but it’s a £25 gamble

3. An operating air carrier shall not be obliged to pay compensation in accordance with Article 7, if it can prove that the cancellation is caused by extraordinary circumstances which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 3:17 am

Programs: BA Gold
I’d been keen for people to update us here with how they go on seeking compensation for the HAL cancelled flights, I realise it may take months - but time is on our side - what compensation route people took and what arguments they made (if they were ultimately successful).
Old Jul 17, 2022, 3:32 am

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE
Originally Posted by Lioneye
Thanks....thought so.....have rejected & asked for confirmation as their final decision so I can proceed to CEDR.

Final decision received....."An update from British Airways

Thanks for contacting us about your claim for EU compensation. We're sorry it was necessary to delay flight, BA0664, on 11 June. I understand this is something you feel strongly about and I appreciate why you're unhappy with our previous reply.

I’ve had another look at your claim for compensation and I’ve taken time to make sure our response is accurate and up-to-date. Based on this, our decision hasn’t changed and the response you’ve received about the eligibility of your EU compensation claim are correct.

As your flight was delayed due to member of the flight crew reported sick and wasn't well enough to operate the flight it means you’re not eligible for EU compensation.

Article 5.3 of the EU Regulation 261/2004 states a carrier is not obliged to pay compensation if it can prove the delay or cancellation is caused by extraordinary circumstances, that couldn’t have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken. In Recital 14 and 15 of EU Regulation 261/2004, extraordinary circumstances include weather, strike and the impact of an air traffic management decision which gives rise to a long delay. This means you’re not entitled to compensation under the EU Regulation for your delayed flight.

If you would like to know more about EU compensation, please visit our pages on ba.com.

Thanks again for contacting us."

The advice from posters above is that this is certainly not extraordinary circumstances and I'm going to go with that.

Quick question - there were two people on the booking. Should we do 2 separate cases or one naming two people?

MCOL or CEDR? - I'd obviously like to go down the route of more likely success.

1st time going this far so any other tips welcome.

Thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.