Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2021, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Print Wikipost

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2022, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
BA have lost CEDR cases in respect of COVID economic cases and quite recently too. It seems clear to me that while BA are still paying EC261 swiiftly where there isn't much scope for argument, so mechanical problems at departure, for anything else where there is a potential argument, BA is deploying that argument. Now there are some guidelines in this space - more on the EU side than CAA - which give the airlines some lines of argument. I think it's just BA doing what they can to keep their costs down. I don't think there's much more to it than that.
Another question: regarding my friend's BA case (currently with the Danish NEB - thanks for the feedback BTW, he's now sent a response), in case he loses that, would it make sense to pursue it with CEDR (CPH-LHR on BA falls under both the EU and the UK regulation), or is it doomed to fail (with the £25 CEDR fee being chargeable as a result)?
Old Jan 16, 2022, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by jomala05
Another question: regarding my friend's BA case (currently with the Danish NEB - thanks for the feedback BTW, he's now sent a response), in case he loses that, would it make sense to pursue it with CEDR (CPH-LHR on BA falls under both the EU and the UK regulation), or is it doomed to fail (with the £25 CEDR fee being chargeable as a result)?
I don't know anything about your friend's case, but if the Danish NEB takes a look at your friend's arguments and BA's arguments and comes to the conclusion that BA doesn't have to pay your friend, then BA probably doesn't have to pay anything. If your friend takes it to CEDR, then BA would claim that it has already been at the Danish NEB where it was found that BA didn't have to pay and that nothing new has come up since then.

The EU and UK rules are the same. Someone just used copy & paste before Brexit.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 3:55 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
As mentioned above, there won't be a £25 fee unless your friend is reckless about it. I can't see a problem with going to CEDR after the NEB has looked at it, but BA will bring this factor straight away to CEDR's attention and this may have a negative influence on proceedings, depending on how the NEB framed their conclusions. In the UK the CEDR process was set up because our NEB didin't have the resources or inclination to investigate cases so made a deal with most of the main airlines to have an alternative dispute resolution process to get around the fact that NEB's are a mandatory aspect of EC261. The UK NEB only gets involved if an airline won't use ADR or is too small to have the caseload to justify it.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 4:51 pm

As mentioned above, there won't be a £25 fee unless your friend is reckless about it. I can't see a problem with going to CEDR after the NEB has looked at it, but BA will bring this factor straight away to CEDR's attention and this may have a negative influence on proceedings, depending on how the NEB framed their conclusions. In the UK the CEDR process was set up because our NEB didin't have the resources or inclination to investigate cases so made a deal with most of the main airlines to have an alternative dispute resolution process to get around the fact that NEB's are a mandatory aspect of EC261. The UK NEB only gets involved if an airline won't use ADR or is too small to have the caseload to justify it.
Brilliant, thanks! You mentioned BA has lost several CEDR cases of "economic" cancellations; are you able to link info about some of these cases?

The reason why I'm asking this is because I read earlier in this thread that there's EU, but not UK, guidance for airlines to rely on, and combined with your statement that BA has lost several CEDR cases concerning the relevant type of situation (commerically motivated cancellations), that makes me believe that CEDR might be less lenient towards the airlines than EU NEBs.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 5:08 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
See post 90 for one such example.
jomala05 likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 5:12 pm

Awesome, cheers!
Old Jan 17, 2022, 5:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ITA Volare Executive
BA185 Cancelled Today

Hi all, grateful for advice regarding my situation today.

BA185 1045 LHR 1355 EWR was cancelled due to a tech issue.
I was auto rebooked onto BA189 1630 LHR 1940 EWR but seeing as I’m only in NY for a couple of nights I asked in the Flounge and was rebooked again as follows:
BA115 1400 LHR 1710 JFK.

Just wondering if I’m entitled to anything with regards to the later arrival? Had already paid for a bus transfer from EWR to Manhattan but I can stand to lose the odd $20.

All advice welcome.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 5:36 am

Originally Posted by EDIwanderer
Hi all, grateful for advice regarding my situation today.

I was auto rebooked onto BA189 1630 LHR 1940 EWR but seeing as I’m only in NY for a couple of nights I asked in the Flounge and was rebooked again as follows:
BA115 1400 LHR 1710 JFK.

Just wondering if I’m entitled to anything with regards to the later arrival? Had already paid for a bus transfer from EWR to Manhattan but I can stand to lose the odd $20.

All advice welcome.
You may be eligible for £260 in compensation. Lodge a claim with BA and demand proof that the cancellation was utterly unavoidable on their part. If they reject you and their arguments aren't solid, lodge a claim with CEDR

Last edited by jomala05; Jan 17, 2022 at 5:44 am
Old Jan 17, 2022, 5:38 am

You should be eligible for a refund of the bus transfer (per the Montreal convention), and may be eligible for £520 in compensation. Lodge a claim with BA and demand proof that the cancellation was utterly unavoidable on their part. If they reject you and their arguments aren't solid, lodge a claim with CEDR
Thanks, my arrival into NY will only be about three hours later than originally booked, is that eligible? Bus ticket has a one year validity so can be used later. Will just get the AirTrain and Subway from JFK.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 5:45 am

Thanks, my arrival into NY will only be about three hours later than originally booked, is that eligible? Bus ticket has a one year validity so can be used later. Will just get the AirTrain and Subway from JFK.
Updated my answer. £260 only as you were delayed by less than 4 hours, and unlikely to get a bus refund as you chose to re-book to JFK rather than EWR (can't hurt to try claiming for that as well though)
Old Jan 17, 2022, 5:47 am

Updated my answer. £260 only as you were delayed by less than 4 hours, and unlikely to get a bus refund as you chose to re-book to JFK rather than EWR (can't hurt to try claiming for that as well though)
That’s almost a third of what I paid for the three night break and beggars can’t be choosers!
Old Jan 17, 2022, 5:49 am
Original Poster

BA115 1400 LHR 1710 JFK.
I am not sure if BA will actually spot this, but they do have an argument for saying that you would have got 600€ / £520 if you stayed on the EWR service, but only 300€ / £260 on the Kennedy service, since you are now arriving into NYC under the 4 hour mark.
alex67500 and EDIwanderer like this.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 11:42 am

Sent in my claim a month ago - I got a "We’re on the case" email 9 days after sending it in.

When can I expect a response as per current waiting times?
Old Jan 17, 2022, 1:44 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
BA rejected my claim saying they cancelled the flight "due to COVID" even though LHR FCO flights right before and right after our cancelled flight went out that day. We were delayed on arrival at almost 4 hours which entitles to 250 Euros compensation. I am now planning to go via CEDR but need the actual times of departure and arrival of the flight they put us on. That flight was also delayed by over an hour. Any idea where I can find out what time BA560 on Dec 23 landed in FCO? I remember it was delayed but dont recall precise time one would need for the CEDR claim.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 2:05 pm

I am not sure if BA will actually spot this, but they do have an argument for saying that you would have got 600€ / £520 if you stayed on the EWR service, but only 300€ / £260 on the Kennedy service, since you are now arriving into NYC under the 4 hour mark.
Wouldn't BA have to get the passenger to EWR before 17:55 to avoid paying the higher amount? With a 17:10 arrival to JFK, I'm not sure if BA would get the passenger to EWR in time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.