Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2021, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Print Wikipost

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2022, 12:34 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
And that's about as good as it gets. The rapid responses seem to be clear cut cases where the dispatch codes were clearly indicating or not indicating that EC261 was in scope.
I’ve seen your note on the despatch codes which was interesting - and perhaps I should know this, but how does joe bloggs like me find out the code for the flight that was cancelled?
Old Jul 14, 2022, 1:02 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Ruth4325
I’ve seen your note on the despatch codes which was interesting - and perhaps I should know this, but how does joe bloggs like me find out the code for the flight that was cancelled?
Ask in this thread within 2 days of the flight in question, and someone will look it up on paid for ExpertFlyer or other Amadeus source. But after a few days that data is lost so it is imperative not to leave it for a few days.
welshwiz and Ruth4325 like this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 1:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold. Hilton Diamond
Ask in this thread within 2 days of the flight in question, and someone will look it up on paid for ExpertFlyer or other Amadeus source. But after a few days that data is lost so it is imperative not to leave it for a few days.
Hi CWS, I’ve asked a couple of times but haven’t got very far. I have a paid-for sub to EF but I can’t find any glossary for the cancellation or delay codes to understand what they are. Do you know where I can find these please? Thank you.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 1:12 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
There isn’t one, but they are all fairly obvious, these are ones seen quite often:

CCRY - cabin crew, yes for compensation
FCRY - flight crew, yes for compensation
OPEY - operational issue, yes for compensation
INDN - industrial action, no for compensation
WEAN - weather, no for compensation
TECY - technical issue with plane, yes for compensation
Old Jul 14, 2022, 1:13 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by PlaneSpeaking
Hi CWS, I’ve asked a couple of times but haven’t got very far. I have a paid-for sub to EF but I can’t find any glossary for the cancellation or delay codes to understand what they are. Do you know where I can find these please? Thank you.
There isn't one that I've come across. I have simply memorised most of them. I'll add HDL (handling), SEC (security), ARP / APR (airport) CREW and OPER as alternatives to Crew and operational.
daftboy, PlaneSpeaking and sayling like this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 1:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KARFA
There isn’t one, but they are all fairly obvious, these are ones seen quite often:

CCRY - cabin crew, yes for compensation
FCRY - flight crew, yes for compensation
OPEY - operational issue, yes for compensation
INDN - industrial action, no for compensation
WEAN - weather, no for compensation
TECY - technical issue with plane, yes for compensation
There isn't one that I've come across. I have simply memorised most of them. I'll add HDL (handling), SEC (security), CREW and OPER as alternatives to Crew and operational.
Gosh, replies from both of my heroes! Many thanks to both of you.
LCSinTexas and Ruth4325 like this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 3:17 pm

Programs: BA, TK, UA, HH
BA cancelled flight BA-737 GVA-LHR just a few hours before departure today 14 July. How do I find out the reason for cancellation, so that I can apply for compensation and re-imbursement? BA MMB does not show any availability until Sunday and no one on BA gold line is answering the phone, so I have now booked myself with Air France for tomorrow morning 15 July GVA-CDG-LHR and have paid £771 (ridiculously expensive) plus one night at Hilton Geneva Airport (CHF 235). How soon should I submit my flight reimbursement via BA webpage?
Many thanks for any advice
Old Jul 14, 2022, 3:22 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by ADNANALI
BA cancelled flight BA-737 GVA-LHR just a few hours before departure today 14 July. How do I find out the reason for cancellation, so that I can apply for compensation and re-imbursement? BA MMB does not show any availability until Sunday and no one on BA gold line is answering the phone, so I have now booked myself with Air France for tomorrow morning 15 July GVA-CDG-LHR and have paid £771 (ridiculously expensive) plus one night at Hilton Geneva Airport (CHF 235). How soon should I submit my flight reimbursement via BA webpage?
Many thanks for any advice
DOBA737/14JUL
* OPERATIONAL FLIGHT INFO * BA 737 0 TH 14JUL22
CITY INFO HOUR (LOCAL)

FLIGHT CANCELLED 1021
HDLY
*1A PLANNED FLIGHT INFO* BA 737 0 TH 14JUL22
APT ARR DY DEP DY CLASS/MEAL EQP GRND EFT TTL
GVA 2115 TH JCDRIUFAZ/M Y/G 320 1:35
BHKMLVNOQSG/G
XWETP/G
LHR 2150 TH 1:35
Old Jul 14, 2022, 3:24 pm

@ S_W_S Many thanks.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 3:33 pm

HDLY is eligible for compensation and re-imbusrement? right?
Old Jul 14, 2022, 3:44 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ADNANALI
HDLY is eligible for compensation and re-imbusrement? right?
Yes sounds like it would probably be paid, handling and yes for compensation.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
In which case the LCY flight is more than an hour early on departure time so it is eligible for EC261 cancellation compensation, albeit paid at 50% due to the new arrival time being before the original arrival time.
For what it's worth, BA followed up after a couple of weeks and said I was due the full 250 EUR per person without the 50% discount. Not sure why they chose this, but I'm happy with the outcome.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 9:25 pm

I’m lost. BA just cancelled a flight for mid-August, and have told me (in writing) that: “EU261 isn't applicable to cancellations this far in advance”.

Is that accurate?

For context, I’m just trying to get rebooked on a LHR-MAN flight (the route is fully booked on the other direct flights so trying to get LHR-DUB-MAN as the train options are during the RMT strike weekends! The LHR-DUB-MAN flights would still get me there before the next available direct LHR-MAN flights that are scheduled with availability). The flights I’m looking at are all BA-marketed as I can book them on the BA website though LHR-DUB is EI-operated.

I thought that UK261/EC261 is applicable here as there is no time limit for its relevance as it pertains to rebooking from cancellations. I think they might be thinking about the EC261 compensation and duty of care rules but I’m referring to the EC261 (and UK261) rebooking rules. I’m not sure though, as they wrote it so plainly that it made me question myself.

Last edited by Simon Schus; Jul 14, 2022 at 10:33 pm
Old Jul 14, 2022, 9:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Our initially delayed flight - that had a knock on effect on eventual arrival at our final US destination > 6hrs - left late because passengers weren’t boarding promptly.

Check in was chaos and security queues huge (MAD) - assume this should fall within the scope of EC261 compensation? Thanks in advance
Old Jul 15, 2022, 12:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Mileage Plus, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Pizza Express Gold
Originally Posted by Simon Schus
I’m lost. BA just cancelled a flight for mid-August, and have told me (in writing) that: “EU261 isn't applicable to cancellations this far in advance”.

Is that accurate?

For context, I’m just trying to get rebooked on a LHR-MAN flight (the route is fully booked on the other direct flights so trying to get LHR-DUB-MAN as the train options are during the RMT strike weekends! The LHR-DUB-MAN flights would still get me there before the next available direct LHR-MAN flights that are scheduled with availability). The flights I’m looking at are all BA-marketed as I can book them on the BA website though LHR-DUB is EI-operated.

I thought that UK261/EC261 is applicable here as there is no time limit for its relevance as it pertains to rebooking from cancellations. I think they might be thinking about the EC261 compensation and duty of care rules but I’m referring to the EC261 (and UK261) rebooking rules. I’m not sure though, as they wrote it so plainly that it made me question myself.
You're correct - there is a 14 day cut off for compensation for delays and cancellations, but no time limit for downgrade reimbursement, duty of care or re-routing rights.
Simon Schus likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.