Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2021, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Print Wikipost

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2022, 8:05 am

i would be grateful should anyone be able to help with info on a cancellation from saturday. I was due to return Glasgow from Singapore on the 8th/9th July and BA cancelled BA1474 with about 9 days notice. I did not see the 9th mentioned anywhere as one of the days that heathrow was requesting reduced flight numbers. in theses circumstances what is the distance that applies should compensation be due - is it SIN > GLA or just LHR > SIN. I was rebooked on BA1494 which was a 12 hr delay
Grateful for any info or pointers
Old Jul 11, 2022, 11:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It's certainly only one claim, for cancellation, since the rebooked service was not 3 hours late from that aircraft's schedule. I think filing for both cases would be a mistake because you could get into a loop about that and BA will be able to say "we weren't delayed 3 hours". The cancellation one is a bit tricky since the way it's worded, you were rebooked within the allowed timings, so no compensation there, and what's more the requirement is against the schedule, not the actual. Now I would file for this as a single claim for cancellation compensation, since it's possible BA would just pay it if they don't spend much time on the claim (whereas putting in for 2 claims is almost asking for trouble - they will stare down the details). If they don't then you best go MCOL because I can see CEDR won't see the broader picture, and there are some bits of the CJEU rulings, such as the TAP case, that I cannot see them reading across. Whereas at MCOL I can see that happening. Moreover BA won't want to defend this case and probably don't have the capacity to do so either. If successful this would be 400€.
Just an update - BA emailed offering me €400 + expenses which I’m happy with. The money has yet to hit my account though!
Old Jul 11, 2022, 3:07 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Wizardp629
i would be grateful should anyone be able to help with info on a cancellation from saturday. I was due to return Glasgow from Singapore on the 8th/9th July and BA cancelled BA1474 with about 9 days notice. I did not see the 9th mentioned anywhere as one of the days that heathrow was requesting reduced flight numbers. in theses circumstances what is the distance that applies should compensation be due - is it SIN > GLA or just LHR > SIN. I was rebooked on BA1494 which was a 12 hr delay
Grateful for any info or pointers
If it's on one PNR and there was less than 24 hours between flights, then it's the whole SIN-GLA distance that is used, so 600€, however note that BA may not readily pay this if the blame is placed on HAL.
Wizardp629 likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 3:10 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by thomas199023
Send in a dispute on CEDR. Basically they are agreeing with BA, that loads were too low? Which seems like a commercial decision to me?

Here the entire text? What would the easiest next steps be, as I don't really agree with this?
Submit to one of the commercial claim people?
Thank you for that. I would be surprised if a claim handler would take on the case, but your next step is MCOL. This won't be a risk free option but you would need to run this on the basis that ultimately this was a commercial decision not to run the flight, indeed the cost may have been "intolerable" but that decision in my view attracts compensation to the small number of people affected. I also have to say the wording looks very unbalanced to me.
adrianlondon and thomas199023 like this.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 5:52 pm

Programs: TK*G
Hi all,
Booked BA372 (LHR/TLS) on 10/July. Flight was cancelled and I was notified on 30/June (less than 14 days notice) and no other flights within 3 hours were proposed. Does anyone know the reason of cancellation (which I suppose it is due to staff shortage at LHR). Do you think it is possible to claim 250EUR compensation?
Old Jul 12, 2022, 2:06 pm

Hello. Wondering if anyone can offer some advice.

Flight from LHR to INV cancelled the night before i was due to leave. Offered rebooking onto the following day but declined so opted for the refund. Got an email saying they were calculating what was owed and would hear back in 5 working days. Also filed for EU261 and expenses as i took the train to Inverness instead so put the receipt in for the train ticket. Received an email 4 days later saying they agree to cover my expenses as well as EU compensation and would receive this in 14 business days.

Two questions i had.

1. Does this mean i won't receive the refund for the cancelled flight? As it has been much longer than 5 days and have not heard anything about that.
2. Does anyone in the past who has had compensation know how long it normally takes? I know they say up to 14 days but just so i have an idea what to expect.

Many thanks
Old Jul 12, 2022, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

The refund is absolute and not open to question, you will get that back, and within a few weeks. However to slightly row back on that: what should happen is that you either get a full refund on the flight OR a full refund on the train fare OR the difference of the train fare if it was higher than the air fare. You can't have a free trip to INV in other words. You will just get a slightly mysterious email to confirm that. For refunds, we tend to get that question a few days after the email goes out, but rarely 3 weeks after it goes out (i.e. 14 business days) when we tend not to hear any more. From that I would say 2 weeks.
KARFA and lightlamp4 like this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 2:26 pm

I’ve read up thread quite a few cases of folk hearing back from BA a matter of days after their claim was submitted. I have a claim (flight cancelled within 48 hours of departure) going back to April and never heard anything from BA so have now referred to CEDR. Also have a claim from 29 June when BA delayed my SAN-LHR by 22 hours due to the aircraft going tech at LHR. As with my April claim I’ve never heard anything other than the confirmation email immediately after submitting. Is it just down to chance as to which claims they look at and respond to, just wondered if there’s any pattern?
Old Jul 12, 2022, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

The only pattern I've seen is that where the dispatch codes say OPEY or CRWY or similar they are now being paid very quickly and INDN or ARPN then a regret email goes out. For those with more complicated claims and / or verbose claims are taking longer, with a particular backlog from April still pending.
KARFA and jimkwatson like this.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 10:06 am

Programs: OZ & BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott & Accor Plat
Just got this from BA:

Thanks for coming back to us about your claim for EU compensation. We're sorry it was necessary to cancel your flights to and from Bahrain on 17 June and 25 June respectively. Your claim's been refused because BA0125 on 17 June and BA0124 on 25 June were cancelled because of operational reason.

We take all reasonable measures to avoid disruption to a flight and we always consider if there are any other alternative solutions before we make a decision. The cancellation was out of our control and caused unforeseen disruption to our schedule.
As i understand - "operational reason" seems like a pretty clear reason for me to get compensation when they cancelled my flights within 14 days before departure and they refused to give me any other options on BA or other carriers... routing was CPH-LHR-BAH/BAH-LHR-AMS. Any advise on what to do and how to escalate?

Would I be eligible for 2x 600 EUR as they cancelled both LHR-BAH and BAH-LHR or just 1x 600 EUR as the BAH-LHR was cancelled beyond the 14-day mark...? Thank you!
Old Jul 13, 2022, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bobdh13
Just got this from BA:

As i understand - "operational reason" seems like a pretty clear reason for me to get compensation when they cancelled my flights within 14 days before departure and they refused to give me any other options on BA or other carriers... routing was CPH-LHR-BAH/BAH-LHR-AMS. Any advise on what to do and how to escalate?

Would I be eligible for 2x 600 EUR as they cancelled both LHR-BAH and BAH-LHR or just 1x 600 EUR as the BAH-LHR was cancelled beyond the 14-day mark...? Thank you!
There are some comments about how BA are just skim reading dispatch notes at the moment. You would be best to escalate to CEDR, so first ask BA if their answer will not change then go to CEDR. Alternatively wait until 8 weeks and send it to CEDR then. Lots of similar datapoints upthread, so check some of the other FTers' experiences. It could be per direction, so 2 lots, but since BA cancelled BAH - LHR and gave two weeks notice then it's not in scope for cancellation compensation.
Bobdh13 and 86BA7 like this.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 3:18 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Hmmm, so BA just cancelled a return leg on a flight in ~4 weeks and their next offered return flight is 2 days later. Any recent experiences on duty of care / hotel reimbursement for these advance notice cancellations?

I know there’s no theoretical get out of the duty of care for advance notice cancellations, but…

(it was booked as a same day return but rescheduling trip just doesn’t work for various reasons…)

thanks
Old Jul 13, 2022, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

BA occasionally pushes back, but most Right to Care hotel costs are refunded judging from what I'm seeing. I've not head of a case going to CEDR which BA has tried to defend. If it's a domestic flight, or a flight covered by the ever increasing list of rebooking airlines (26 airlines plus LNER now) BA may well query it.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 3:39 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
BA occasionally pushes back, but most Right to Care hotel costs are refunded judging from what I'm seeing. I've not head of a case going to CEDR which BA has tried to defend. If it's a domestic flight, or a flight covered by the ever increasing list of rebooking airlines (26 airlines plus LNER now) BA may well query it.
thanks
Old Jul 13, 2022, 11:11 pm

Interesting that on my CEDR case, yesterday was the deadline date on there. However, there has still been no action or update on the case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.