Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2021, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Print Wikipost

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2022, 3:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Would be really grateful for some advice on a CDG-LHR cancellation and related claim.

I was booked on BA329 (a CDG-LHR 21:40 departure) on 29th June. I was able to rebook onto a morning service the following morning. Here are the flight details.

Code:
Flight Status Search:
Departing on 29/06/22
Flying BA flight 329

Flight   Status           Depart Location  Depart Date                   Reliability  Arrive Location  Arrive Date
                          CDG              Scheduled: 29/06/22 9:40 PM                LHR              Scheduled: 29/06/22 9:50 PM
BA 329   Canceled         Term: 2C         Estimated:                    NA / NA      Term: 5          Estimated: 
                          Gate: C85        Actual:                                    Gate:            Actual: 

Comments:
"DOBA329/29JUN
* OPERATIONAL FLIGHT INFO *            BA 329    0 WE 29JUN22   
CITY INFO                                       HOUR (LOCAL)  

FLIGHT CANCELLED                           1051            
     INDN                                                       
*1A PLANNED FLIGHT INFO*              BA 329    0 WE 29JUN22    
APT ARR   DY DEP   DY CLASS/MEAL          EQP  GRND  EFT   TTL  
CDG          2140  WE JCDRIUFAZ/M  Y/G    319         1:10      
                      BHKMLVNOQSG/G                             
                      XWETP/G                                   
LHR 2150  WE                                                1:10
COMMENTS-
 1.CDG LHR   - MEMBER OF ONEWORLD                               
 2.CDG LHR   - DEPARTS TERMINAL 2A                              
 3.CDG LHR   - ARRIVES TERMINAL 5                               
 4.CDG LHR   -   9/ NON-SMOKING                                 
 5.CDG LHR   -  ET/ ELECTRONIC TKT CANDIDATE                    
 6.CDG LHR   -  CO2/PAX* 55.29 KG ECO, 55.29 KG PRE             
 (*):SOURCE:ICAO CARBON EMISSIONS CALCULATOR                  
CONFIGURATION-
               319  C  24   M 107
The related outbound flight BA328 has the same INDN (Industrial Action) cancellation reason.

I've successfully claimed for my overnight accommodation but BA have denied the remainder of the claim stating that the flight "was cancelled because of Heathrow Airport Limited staff shortage covering security processes" and, because that's provided by HAL is outside their control.

There were strikes at CDG but only from 30th June as far as I've been able to determine.

Is it worth me pursuing the claim further?

Additionally the flight status info suggests that the cancellation was made at 10:51 BST. I didn't see any app notifications of the cancellation or get notified until around 17:00.

TIA

Last edited by CloudGazer; Jul 7, 2022 at 3:22 am
Old Jul 7, 2022, 3:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CloudGazer
Would be really grateful for some advice on a CDG-LHR cancellation and related claim.

I was booked on BA329 (a CDG-LHR 21:40 departure) on 29th June. I was able to rebook onto a morning service the following morning. Here are the flight details.

Code:
Flight Status Search:
Departing on 29/06/22
Flying BA flight 329

Flight Status Depart Location Depart Date Reliability Arrive Location Arrive Date
CDG Scheduled: 29/06/22 9:40 PM LHR Scheduled: 29/06/22 9:50 PM
BA 329 Canceled Term: 2C Estimated: NA / NA Term: 5 Estimated:
Gate: C85 Actual: Gate: Actual:

Comments:
"DOBA329/29JUN
* OPERATIONAL FLIGHT INFO * BA 329 0 WE 29JUN22
CITY INFO HOUR (LOCAL)

FLIGHT CANCELLED 1051
INDN
*1A PLANNED FLIGHT INFO* BA 329 0 WE 29JUN22
APT ARR DY DEP DY CLASS/MEAL EQP GRND EFT TTL
CDG 2140 WE JCDRIUFAZ/M Y/G 319 1:10
BHKMLVNOQSG/G
XWETP/G
LHR 2150 WE 1:10
COMMENTS-
1.CDG LHR - MEMBER OF ONEWORLD
2.CDG LHR - DEPARTS TERMINAL 2A
3.CDG LHR - ARRIVES TERMINAL 5
4.CDG LHR - 9/ NON-SMOKING
5.CDG LHR - ET/ ELECTRONIC TKT CANDIDATE
6.CDG LHR - CO2/PAX* 55.29 KG ECO, 55.29 KG PRE
(*):SOURCE:ICAO CARBON EMISSIONS CALCULATOR
CONFIGURATION-
319 C 24 M 107

The related outbound flight BA328 has the same INDN (Industrial Action) cancellation reason.

I've successfully claimed for my overnight accommodation but BA have denied the remainder of the claim stating that the flight "was cancelled because of Heathrow Airport Limited staff shortage covering security processes" and, because that's provided by HAL is outside their control.

Is it worth me pursuing the claim further?

Additionally the flight status info suggests that the cancellation was made at 10:51 BST. I didn't see any app notifications of the cancellation or get notified until around 17:00.

TIA
I’d say so - how can “staff shortages” be ascribed to industrial action unless there was industrial action on that day? If there was industrial action, this would have to have been planned with sufficient notice so BA could have taken appropriate action well in advance, including booking you onto an alternative flight.
CloudGazer likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 3:27 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
There was industrial action going on in France at airports and with French ATC that week, but I am not sure if it was specifically taking place on 28 or 29 June.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 4:03 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
There was industrial action going on in France at airports and with French ATC that week, but I am not sure if it was specifically taking place on 28 or 29 June.
Looks like another example of BA clutching at straws - irrespective of any French ATC strike and assuming it did go ahead, this can’t be connected with a HAL staff shortage.
CloudGazer likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 4:07 am

Originally Posted by PlaneSpeaking
Looks like another example of BA clutching at straws - irrespective of any French ATC strike and assuming it did go ahead, this can’t be connected with a HAL staff shortage.
i agree there seems to be a mismatch between the cancellation code and the reason provided in response to the claim.
CloudGazer likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 4:18 am

i agree there seems to be a mismatch between the cancellation code and the reason provided in response to the claim.
Hi Karfa, I asked this a little while ago but you might have missed it but is there a glossary of cancellation codes anywhere? I’d find these quite useful and I’m sure others would as well. I did check on EF (I have a paid sub) but I couldn’t see any.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 5:50 am

Programs: BA Exec Club: Gold HHons:Diamond FB:Ivory Accor:Plat Hertz: PC USA:GlobalEntry
Here's an interesting one, intra UK 1 leg flight.

BA cancels original booked flight (staffing reasons)
Rebooked, this new flight arrives within 2 hours of original <- no claim can be made
That rebooked flight then cancelled (staffing reasons)
Rebooked again.
This 2nd rebooking now arrives 4 hours later than original <- claim made.

Claim refused as they base claim on the planned arrival of the cancelled re-booked flight not the cancelled original.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 6:17 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by jonr405
Thank you CWS. The original scheduled arrival time for the rebooked flight was 21:30, so 2+hrs after the cancellations original arrival time of 19:10. I just want to be sure that BA won't try to reduce the compensation by 50% as it was hugely inconvenient to get to Gatwick vs Heathrow and arrive late into Palma....
Yes, I'm afraid that while that 2 hours plus qualifies you, nevertheless you were not, on the schedule, 3 hours late, though in reality you were. So it would not surprise me if BA only give you 50%. Maybe they won't notice the difference between schedule and actual timings but usually they do notice this. You are entitled to claim additional travel expenses due to the late arrival in the wrong airport.
jonr405 likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 6:19 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by PlaneSpeaking
Hi Karfa, I asked this a little while ago but you might have missed it but is there a glossary of cancellation codes anywhere? I’d find these quite useful and I’m sure others would as well. I did check on EF (I have a paid sub) but I couldn’t see any.
I'm not aware of one, but there are only a limited number used, about 6 and they are all identified in this thread.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AleTrail
Claim refused as they base claim on the planned arrival of the cancelled re-booked flight not the cancelled original.
That's correct, as per the Regulation. You could probably escalate this further into the court system, since clearly the intent of the regulation would be to protect passengers in these circumstances. But it's difficult to argue with BA's response, at least in terms of the Regulation's wording. But I wouldn't bother with CEDR on this one.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 8:02 am

Programs: BAEC
I’ve been at times a vocal critic of the “what can I get for…” threads, but currently sat on the tarmac at LHR over an hour after scheduled departure and CSD is already looking for alternative flights for me for my connexion as they now think they won’t get in until 45 minutes before my connecting flight departs. They are offering a Frontier flight rather than an AA flight in domestic first, that is a fairly significant difference in service, is anyone on the hook for this as I am now genuinely paying for a service and product I may well not receive?
Old Jul 7, 2022, 9:29 am

Hi
Supposed to return from JFK yesterday then connecting to 1394 today to Manchester. Received email on 1st July saying 1394 cancelled. Any idea of reason for cancellation and if eu261 will apply.
Had to move return to Friday as all other flights from JFK involved 10 hour wait in Heathrow.
Youfirst not really any good and only suggested what I could get on line.
As the Friday flight is 7.55am now arriving in to Manchester at 23.15. Will BA pay for hotel before flight + after as prepaid transfer home not available till Saturday.Thanks for any assistance
Old Jul 7, 2022, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by bisonrav
No, shouldn't do. If it's clear cut, it may be quite quick.
Good to know, and you can make a claim up to 3 years after the delay itself?
Old Jul 7, 2022, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by pazza2000
Good to know, and you can make a claim up to 3 years after the delay itself?
yes. I think up to 6 years is the limit
pazza2000, AJA_ and sayling like this.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 11:37 am

yes. I think up to 6 years is the limit
Thanks, plenty of time then, and hopefully the fact I’ve left it almost 3 years to claim does not count against me.

Off topic slightly, I also need to reach out re. an incorrect refund of the cash element on a C&P(Avios) downgrade from CE to ET, will I still need to reach out to CR for that or is there a department I could call?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.