Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2021, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Print Wikipost

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2022, 4:50 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by wilsnunn
Today I received an email informing me of a cancellation for my BA345 NCE-LHR on this coming Tuesday 29th March. It is rather frustrating to lose our morning in Monaco as we have been rebooked on the earlier flight that day BA335 and with Mstr Wilsnunn's bedtime on the line we don't want to take any of the later options still available that day. We will therefore be departing 1hr45 earlier than we were meant to and the cancellation is <7 days in advance so as far as I understand that would be a pretty clear cut £220 each for myself and Mrs Wilsnunn - the usual caveat that I am more than happy to be corrected still stands.

My main question would be what is the policy regarding the 18mo old Mstr Wilsnunn?
It's £110 because you arrive before your scheduled time. But it is per fare paying passenger, which I assume means all 3 of you.
wilsnunn likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 4:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It's £110 because you arrive before your scheduled time. But it is per fare paying passenger, which I assume means all 3 of you.
Thanks as always c-w-s.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 5:25 pm

Programs: BA (GGL, CCR & G4LIFE), VS (Gold4life), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Spire Elite), SPG (Plat)
Cancelled flight to JFK next week

Question for the hive - BA have just cancelled my flight to NYC next Wednesday (6 days notice) and put me on a later flight which means I miss my connection to LAX same day. Given it’s less than 7 days notice can I assume I will get EU261 compensation for the cancellation irrespective of any rerouting I may take to arrive earlier or later given the late notice?
Old Mar 24, 2022, 5:36 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by newbyuk
Question for the hive - BA have just cancelled my flight to NYC next Wednesday (6 days notice) and put me on a later flight which means I miss my connection to LAX same day. Given it’s less than 7 days notice can I assume I will get EU261 compensation for the cancellation irrespective of any rerouting I may take to arrive earlier or later given the late notice?
Depends on whether you have a through ticket and depends on your arrival times.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 6:01 pm

Programs: BA (GGL, CCR & G4LIFE), VS (Gold4life), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Spire Elite), SPG (Plat)
So it was a through ticket LHR JFK LAX
they cancelled LHR JFK and I have 3 choices I guess
1. refund and walk away
2. go 5 hours later to JFK miss my connection to LAX and therefore have to overnight in JFK and arrive 12hrs later to LAX
3. leave 5 hrs earlier from LHR and arrive into LAX 4 hours earlier
Old Mar 25, 2022, 12:17 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
You actually stated that you arrived before the 2 hour cut off. If you mentioned that in the CEDR claim, then you're screwed.
It is BA claiming that we arrived 1hr 59mins late although have not provided any documents in their defence bundle to show this. I didn’t mention anything about timing in the CEDR claim - BA customer relations had just initially told us they weren’t paying due to COVID, no mention of not paying due to the timing of arrival. It is only in the CEDR defence they have mentioned this.

We have a slightly weird situation where our original look flight was cancelled for passengers but actually still flew. I included a screenshot of Flightradar showing this and it shows that flight arrived about 1hr early. So in real terms we actually arrived about 3hrs later than we would have had we been on that plane. May not convince them but worth a shot along with challenging the highly convenient point that we supposedly arrived 1min under the 2hr requirement. As CEDR say that consumers cannot provide any further evidence I am hoping the same applies to BA
Old Mar 25, 2022, 3:21 pm

Hi All -

BA have finally came back with an update regarding our flight from MLE - LHR - They are saying the following:

I'm sorry your flight from Male was delayed and we don't underestimate how much this must have disrupted your travel plans. I’ve checked the details of your flight and can confirm your flight, BA0060, at on 20 February was delayed for 146 minutes. I’ve included the details below for your reference.

Flight BA0060 from Male to London Heathrow.
Scheduled departure date and time: 20 February 2022 06:45 GMT
Actual departure date and time: 20 February 2022 08:48 GMT
Scheduled arrival date and time: 20 February 2022 18:10 GMT
Actual arrival date and time: 20 February 2022 20:36 GMT
Total delay: 146 minutes

Since your flight wasn’t delayed in arriving by three hours or more, your claim for compensation under EU Regulation 261/2004 has been refused.
I've gone back to them asking if they could confirm that it is their final position and issue me with a deadlock letter so I can take the claim to CEDR. Interestingly they've added some more minutes from their first response. I also advised that their response is not factual and frankly insulting.

I just don't understand why they're dragging their heels so much, it's pretty obvious that the plane doors were not opened at the time they're stating. My Wife has a photo of us still on the plane at 21:18.

When I do the CEDR claim - would the compensation that we're entitled to be the full rate or reduced rate?

Thanks in advanced for any help!
Old Mar 25, 2022, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sky_flyer
I've gone back to them asking if they could confirm that it is their final position and issue me with a deadlock letter so I can take the claim to CEDR. Interestingly they've added some more minutes from their first response. I also advised that their response is not factual and frankly insulting.

I just don't understand why they're dragging their heels so much, it's pretty obvious that the plane doors were not opened at the time they're stating. My Wife has a photo of us still on the plane at 21:18.

When I do the CEDR claim - would the compensation that we're entitled to be the full rate or reduced rate?
It's full rate from 4 hours, and half rate for 3 to 4 hours, given the distance. For the benefit of others, the issue you have here is that while the above timings are correct for the aircraft, you were not able to leave the aircraft for some time after these times because there was a staff shortage of ground staff - a frequent problem at the moment. I've often argued here that there is very little point getting into discussions with BA CR: once they have said no, waste no further time and just ask for confirmation that their answer will not change, which you have now done, but it you are past 8 weeks then you don't need to do that for CEDR, since 8 weeks is their time frame anyway. For MCOL it can be faster still if you stick to the court timetables. I don't think you set the compensation due in CEDR (you do in MCOL), that falls out of the claim processing anyway.
sky_flyer likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by zanderblue
I’m coming up to the 4 week mark now. TBH I’m not holding my breath, since it appears they have fast tracked those affected by their IT meltdown in late Feb. Presumably to the detriment of the rest of us with outstanding claims!
I am now at the 4 week mark from my claim - which was caused by the IT meltdown. I can’t speak for anyone else, but I sure haven’t been fast tracked!!
Old Mar 26, 2022, 3:09 pm

Emails to Sean Doyle

Quick question: has anyone recently tried to send an e-mail to Sean Doyle's email to try to get a sensible response to EU compensation related issues? If so, did you get a response and how long did it take?
Edinflyer and EDIwanderer like this.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 5:41 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by SASFlyer
Quick question: has anyone recently tried to send an e-mail to Sean Doyle's email to try to get a sensible response to EU compensation related issues? If so, did you get a response and how long did it take?
I submitted an EC261 claim on January 19th, after waiting two months for anything other than automated replies I sent an email to Doyle and BAH customer relations. No reply yet.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 2:04 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Edinflyer
It is BA claiming that we arrived 1hr 59mins late although have not provided any documents in their defence bundle to show this. I didn’t mention anything about timing in the CEDR claim - BA customer relations had just initially told us they weren’t paying due to COVID, no mention of not paying due to the timing of arrival. It is only in the CEDR defence they have mentioned this.

We have a slightly weird situation where our original look flight was cancelled for passengers but actually still flew. I included a screenshot of Flightradar showing this and it shows that flight arrived about 1hr early. So in real terms we actually arrived about 3hrs later than we would have had we been on that plane. May not convince them but worth a shot along with challenging the highly convenient point that we supposedly arrived 1min under the 2hr requirement. As CEDR say that consumers cannot provide any further evidence I am hoping the same applies to BA
It is the scheduled time of arrival versus the actual time of arrival that matters.
Edinflyer likes this.

Last edited by Tobias-UK; Mar 27, 2022 at 2:23 am Reason: Bloody autocorrect
Old Mar 27, 2022, 2:20 am

Originally Posted by EDIwanderer
I submitted an EC261 claim on January 19th, after waiting two months for anything other than automated replies I sent an email to Doyle and BAH customer relations. No reply yet.
Cheers! This is all pretty disappointing after the "commitments to improve" at the start of the year...
Old Mar 27, 2022, 2:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SASFlyer
Originally Posted by EDIwanderer
I would point out that after 8 weeks from filing the initial complaint, you can - and should - start the CEDR process. And CEDR will set some timeline for BA's response. If BA haven't sent anything of substance to a complaint then they'll have to act fairly quickly
Old Mar 27, 2022, 7:43 pm

Currently on a BAH and received a message that the return LHR-CDG leg of the LAX-LHR-CDG trip has been cancelled.

Offered rebooking to a flight that would get us into Paris 3hrs 40mins late. Notification was 8 days before flight.

Two questions:

- we no longer need to be in Paris, I’m planning emailing BAH to say the new flights don’t work and to end the trip in London. Maybe this will generate a small refund?

- any compensation due for the late notice cancellation? Or is this impacted by not taking the rescheduled flight?

thanks as always 😀

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.