Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition

Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition

Old Feb 1, 2023, 2:11 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Ryn
Hi,

I have a beginners question about using avios. If I have a new 2-4-1 voucher, can I do the following:
Book an iberia flight Madrid-X
then return X-London on British Airways?
Yes that should be possible - albeit you would have to call to book this as you can't do something like that online unfortunately.
m8_rotate and Ryn like this.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 1:57 pm

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by KARFA
just type in BJL, but don't worry that it doesn't auto complete. Then click search, it should come up with results.
That worked - thank you for the tip!

Last edited by jms_uk; Feb 5, 2023 at 7:10 am
Old Feb 2, 2023, 5:11 pm

Hello!

I was wondering what the booking window is to book JAL and Alaskan through Avios is? I.e. how many days out.

Thanks!
Old Feb 5, 2023, 4:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis PC
Booking QR redemptions on BA.com

Might be a bit of a niche one, but as we can now book QR redemptions on BA.com, its thrown up an interesting question for me that I cant seem to find the answer to.

Having just booked a QR redemption on BA.com LHR-DOH-BKK in J and then F, I noted the following:
  • Theyre issued on BA-125-21 ticket stock
  • The flight numbers are QR, not BA codeshare so effectively BA is booking onto QR prime(?)
  • BKK is not part of the QRJB, per the BA standard customer guidelines
  • BA sent the ticketing email, linking their own conditions of carriage page, but they dont seem to cover flights on other carriers that are NOT codeshare

Ultimately, it got me thinking: Which policy / guideline / airline conditions of carriage am I covered by if (a) QR downgrade me on one or both legs and (b) if QR cancel my flights?

I suspect for (b), it is the Prime Other Carrier guideline for cancellations, but for (a) I really have no idea. Additionally, the Prime Other Carrier guideline also shows rebook same class as original, or class allowed in the fare rules. How do I go about finding the fare rules in this case?

As ever, Id like to be in the know about this before any situation arises
Many thanks
Old Feb 5, 2023, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by thomasd21
Might be a bit of a niche one, but as we can now book QR redemptions on BA.com, its thrown up an interesting question for me that I cant seem to find the answer to.

Having just booked a QR redemption on BA.com LHR-DOH-BKK in J and then F, I noted the following:
  • Theyre issued on BA-125-21 ticket stock
  • The flight numbers are QR, not BA codeshare so effectively BA is booking onto QR prime(?)
  • BKK is not part of the QRJB, per the BA standard customer guidelines
  • BA sent the ticketing email, linking their own conditions of carriage page, but they dont seem to cover flights on other carriers that are NOT codeshare

Ultimately, it got me thinking: Which policy / guideline / airline conditions of carriage am I covered by if (a) QR downgrade me on one or both legs and (b) if QR cancel my flights?

I suspect for (b), it is the Prime Other Carrier guideline for cancellations, but for (a) I really have no idea. Additionally, the Prime Other Carrier guideline also shows rebook same class as original, or class allowed in the fare rules. How do I go about finding the fare rules in this case?

As ever, Id like to be in the know about this before any situation arises
Many thanks
1. Award tickets are typically booked on the stock of the airline whose miles you are redeeming, and typically book with the prime flight number of the operating carrier.

2. As you are departing from the UK, if you are downgraded, you would be covered by the provisions of UK 261 -- at least for the first flight, if not for the connecting flight, as well. I'm sure that other FTers with more knowledge of UK 261 will be along to weigh in on the latter point.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 11:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis PC
Originally Posted by guv1976
1. Award tickets are typically booked on the stock of the airline whose miles you are redeeming, and typically book with the prime flight number of the operating carrier.

2. As you are departing from the UK, if you are downgraded, you would be covered by the provisions of UK 261 -- at least for the first flight, if not for the connecting flight, as well. I'm sure that other FTers with more knowledge of UK 261 will be along to weigh in on the latter point.
Thanks very much. I think Im ok on the 261 piece, Im more interested in the policy to quote to any agent if/ when any advance (ie between now and day of travel, but not on the day of travel) cancellation or downgrade happens.

Last edited by thomasd21; Feb 5, 2023 at 1:30 pm
Old Feb 5, 2023, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Has the BA 2024 Avios PEAK & OFF PEAK calendar been posted somewhere yet? I can't seem to find it and am going to making an Avios booking soon.

Last edited by JIMCHI; Feb 5, 2023 at 3:56 pm
Old Feb 5, 2023, 3:46 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by JIMCHI
Has the 2024 Avios PEAK & OFF PEAK calendar been posted somewhere yet? I can't seem to find it and am going to making an Avios booking soon.
I'm not aware of it being published for 2024 other than this for Aer Lingus. I wouldn't imagine the chart for 24 is too dissimilar to 23. Speaking of 2024, availability you can only see towards the end of January 24 as its 355 days when BA starts showing.

https://www.headforpoints.com/2023/0...-flight-dates/

Pete

Last edited by PETER01; Feb 5, 2023 at 3:51 pm
Old Feb 7, 2023, 2:11 pm

Looking to book an Aer Lingus flight soon. I see the same availability on both BA.com and Avios.com, only difference is the fees and taxes are quoting about $20 more on BA.com.

Is there any reason not to transfer everything over to Avios.com and book there?
adobbing likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 8:55 pm

hello, I'm seeking info on a possible booking through BA and I've never booked/flew BA. I am AA Platinum. I created a BA account and looking to book and pay for WTP seats, and get points using my AA loyalty program. But I also want to put in a request for upgrade to CW(or Club Suites). Can I transfer points from one of my credit cards to my new BA account to pay for the upgrade using Avios points although I'm getting credit on AA loyalty?
Thank you!
Old Feb 12, 2023, 6:19 am

Programs: BAEC
We needed to call yesterday for a companion voucher booking because the arrival and departure cities were different. I was dreading it but the call was answered very promptly (no status so the blue line). The rep was incredibly efficient and friendly and all was concluded painlessly. I’m very happy to be able to report such a positive experience.
Now let’s hope our first foray out of the UK since BC is as smooth.
By our standards we still have an enormous amount of Avios to use. Maybe the LadyFlies household will get back in the air a little more frequently now. We’ll see.
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 10:37 am

Programs: MSC Diamond, BAEC Blue
I am looking to book, INV-BCN but return would be LIN-INV can this be booked with RFS or would I need to do a normal Multi City booking and therefore use my Avios to lower the price ?
Hope I am making sense.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 10:40 am

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Lovecruising
I am looking to book, INV-BCN but return would be LIN-INV can this be booked with RFS or would I need to do a normal Multi City booking and therefore use my Avios to lower the price ?
Hope I am making sense.

​​​​​​​Why not do it as two one/ways?
Old Feb 12, 2023, 10:55 am

Programs: MSC Diamond, BAEC Blue
Originally Posted by jms_uk
Why not do it as two one/ways?
Oh duh me I never thought of that, thanks. I just had a quick look and I might have to change to MXP instead of LIN as I need time to get from Genoa port to the airport. Thanks again for the suggestion.
jms_uk likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 2:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Hi All,
I wonder if you can tell me what happened to us last night was normal/expected and how better to get avios flight upon release at midnight.
Myself and the other half want to go to Maldives, MLE is a prime destination for Feb, so I know we need to be quick at midnight to secure the seats. I have a barclays upgrade voucher to us, so am doing one way for both of us upgrading into Club using the voucher and then one way back to LHR on QR from MLE.
I rang the US number last night at 2356 and got through and explained that I was after (and was very clear) I would like to secure Club seats at 0000 UK time for 3rd feb 2023 to MLE from LHR using my BA Upgrade Voucher. By this time it was 2359 (she did not do account verification at this point), she confirmed that I wanted club seats but using the voucher. It then hit 0000 and she confirmed she has secured the seats (i also only saw 2 club seats left online). Once done she did the account verification etc and this is when i saw warning signs of the agent possibly getting it wrong. I saw on my account a booking for MLE but for Prem Econ not Club. She then put me on hold to speak to her support team to apply the voucher (another red flag). After 30 mins she came back and apologised and said she made a mistake and club is now not available by the time she went to apply the voucher (hmmmm?). Nothing the agent could do etc and we missed out.

Is the above normal for when using the voucher? As in Agent securing the booking/prem econ then applying voucher? I would have thought as asked, the secure the Club seats and then deduct the voucher and avios etc?

How can I next time in the next few days ensure the Agent does the correct way and secures club? As ringing at the time we did was successful and club was available at the start of the call. Anyone had experience using the upgrade voucher from Barclays at time of avios seat release on the phone?

Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.