Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition

Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition

Old Feb 14, 2023, 1:35 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I'm looking at off-peak June/July dates for MCO-LGW return. The website is charging 30k each way rather than the 16250 chart price for this trip. Is this normal? In the past I've always been able to reconcile the web price with the chart price.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 1:56 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nsx
I'm looking at off-peak June/July dates for MCO-LGW return. The website is charging 30k each way rather than the 16250 chart price for this trip. Is this normal? In the past I've always been able to reconcile the web price with the chart price.
if you click through you should see several price points offered, one being equivalent to the old band rate. Reward flight saver pricing has been rolled out for all long haul in the last few months.
nsx and m8_rotate like this.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 4:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Evening all.

A little confused here - as the only avios pricing tables I can find seem to be from around 2020. I am looking at using a 2-4-1 LHR-JNB, off-peak dates. I assume JNB is in zone 6 so according to all the charts it should be 75,000 each way, total 150,000 - I had thought it was in the 62,500 each way zone, but it is just over the 5,500 miles. However, when I go to make a booking it is returning an amount of 190,000 avios for a return ticket, making it, at best, a 20,000 avios jump each way.

Does anyone know if there is a new chart anywhere that outlines the change in avios requirements?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 5:16 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I surmise that the website is offering points prices both above and below the chart price, with fees set to make the offerings comparable at roughly one US cent per point. The website shows you the max points option rather than the chart points option as default.
wijibintheair and Delboy65 like this.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 6:29 pm
Suspended

When looking at booking a long haul redemption using an Old Style 241 voucher, I am not presented the same payment options as when looking at not booking with a voucher.

For example for two persons LHR-SIN, without 2-41 is 220,000 avios and 600 or 175,000 avios and 800. When I add an old style 241, I am only presented the option of 220,000 avios and 600.

Is this meant to be like that?
wijibintheair likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 9:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by watsonville
When looking at booking a long haul redemption using an Old Style 241 voucher, I am not presented the same payment options as when looking at not booking with a voucher.

For example for two persons LHR-SIN, without 2-41 is 220,000 avios and 600 or 175,000 avios and 800. When I add an old style 241, I am only presented the option of 220,000 avios and 600.

Is this meant to be like that?
Unfortunately thats the now the only option with old style vouchers.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by nsx
I surmise that the website is offering points prices both above and below the chart price, with fees set to make the offerings comparable at roughly one US cent per point. The website shows you the max points option rather than the chart points option as default.
yes, as noted this is reward flight saver pricing which is now available on all long haul. you are right that you do need to consider whether going for the high avios and low cash price point is good value
also as noted pre September 241s only price up using the highest avios rate, post September 2021 241s will show all price points.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 2:48 am
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by KARFA
yes, as noted this is reward flight saver pricing which is now available on all long haul. you are right that you do need to consider whether going for the high avios and low cash price point is good value
My math shows that the best value is max $ plus min points, _if_ those points are coming from Cap1 or Chase, which I value at more than 1 cent.

I just bought two coach tickets using only 8.5k Iberia points each plus about 425 Euros per ticket, a very reasonable one-way fare for summer travel from Europe to USA.

I think BA and IB will do very well with these changes, selling many more tickets for good cash fares plus some Avios. It's a smart change, for once.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 12:49 pm
Ryn
Suspended

I have a question relating to household accounts and the use of a 241 voucher.

If I intended to use a new style 241 voucher to make a booking which costs 200,000 avios (for example).

There is a household account with Account 1 & 2 in it. Account 1 has 140,000 avios in it. Account 2 has 60,000 avios in it. So total 200,000.
Would I be able to make this booking?
Old Feb 16, 2023, 1:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Can I use my 241 (amex) voucher for two other people when I'm not travelling? I will pay the avios and taxes.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by Pocalypse
Can I use my 241 (amex) voucher for two other people when I'm not travelling? I will pay the avios and taxes.
no. One of the conditions of 241 vouchers is the voucher holder must be one of the passengers
alex67500 likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 1:59 pm

no. One of the conditions of 241 vouchers is the voucher holder must be one of the passengers
One of the passengers is an additional cardholder on the amex card. Do you think it would be possible to talk to Amex or BA to transfer the voucher between them? Is that a thing?
Old Feb 16, 2023, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by Pocalypse
One of the passengers is an additional cardholder on the amex card. Do you think it would be possible to talk to Amex or BA to transfer the voucher between them? Is that a thing?
I cant say I remember hearing of anyone doing that I am afraid.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 2:01 pm

I cant say I remember hearing of anyone doing that I am afraid.
Ok. Thanks very much for the quick replies!
Old Feb 18, 2023, 9:52 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL PM, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by pilsn3r
hello, I'm seeking info on a possible booking through BA and I've never booked/flew BA. I am AA Platinum. I created a BA account and looking to book and pay for WTP seats, and get points using my AA loyalty program. But I also want to put in a request for upgrade to CW(or Club Suites). Can I transfer points from one of my credit cards to my new BA account to pay for the upgrade using Avios points although I'm getting credit on AA loyalty?
Thank you!
In my experience, do not create and send points to your name in BA.
Create an account for anyone in household who will not be traveling - they can use BA Avios miles to upgrade you.
Less confusion

Also do not book while logged in to your BA account - that gets stuck in the PNR and it is hard to get credit on AA at times
Go to BA, book a WTP - enter your AA details as the traveler - then have your friend or family member upgrade you with BA Avios
or
keep your accounts separate - AA for the cash booking - then use the BA account for the upgrade alone

e.g.,
I even had myself added as a travel companion to our household (with an AA number)
So then when I book tickets the AA number shows up and I get benefits of lounge etc

Same issues with AF in the DL forum
- I have my AF account and all my family is added as companions with their DL number (and status) including myself
So any ticket I book for "myself" is for the DL elite family member traveling; not the status-less AF member

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.