FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition
Old Feb 14, 2023, 2:27 am
PrivatePilotDR40

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Hi All,
I wonder if you can tell me what happened to us last night was normal/expected and how better to get avios flight upon release at midnight.
Myself and the other half want to go to Maldives, MLE is a prime destination for Feb, so I know we need to be quick at midnight to secure the seats. I have a barclays upgrade voucher to us, so am doing one way for both of us upgrading into Club using the voucher and then one way back to LHR on QR from MLE.
I rang the US number last night at 2356 and got through and explained that I was after (and was very clear) I would like to secure Club seats at 0000 UK time for 3rd feb 2023 to MLE from LHR using my BA Upgrade Voucher. By this time it was 2359 (she did not do account verification at this point), she confirmed that I wanted club seats but using the voucher. It then hit 0000 and she confirmed she has secured the seats (i also only saw 2 club seats left online). Once done she did the account verification etc and this is when i saw warning signs of the agent possibly getting it wrong. I saw on my account a booking for MLE but for Prem Econ not Club. She then put me on hold to speak to her support team to apply the voucher (another red flag). After 30 mins she came back and apologised and said she made a mistake and club is now not available by the time she went to apply the voucher (hmmmm?). Nothing the agent could do etc and we missed out.

Is the above normal for when using the voucher? As in Agent securing the booking/prem econ then applying voucher? I would have thought as asked, the secure the Club seats and then deduct the voucher and avios etc?

How can I next time in the next few days ensure the Agent does the correct way and secures club? As ringing at the time we did was successful and club was available at the start of the call. Anyone had experience using the upgrade voucher from Barclays at time of avios seat release on the phone?

Thanks