FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition
Old Feb 5, 2023, 10:55 am
guv1976
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by thomasd21
Might be a bit of a niche one, but as we can now book QR redemptions on BA.com, it’s thrown up an interesting question for me that I can’t seem to find the answer to.

Having just booked a QR redemption on BA.com LHR-DOH-BKK in J and then F, I noted the following:
  • They’re issued on BA-125-21… ticket stock
  • The flight numbers are QR, not BA codeshare so effectively BA is booking onto QR prime(?)
  • BKK is not part of the QRJB, per the BA standard customer guidelines
  • BA sent the ticketing email, linking their own conditions of carriage page, but they don’t seem to cover flights on other carriers that are NOT codeshare

Ultimately, it got me thinking: Which policy / guideline / airline conditions of carriage am I covered by if (a) QR downgrade me on one or both legs and (b) if QR cancel my flights?

I suspect for (b), it is the Prime Other Carrier guideline for cancellations, but for (a) I really have no idea. Additionally, the Prime Other Carrier guideline also shows ‘rebook same class as original, or class allowed in the fare rules’. How do I go about finding the fare rules in this case?

As ever, I’d like to be in the know about this before any situation arises’
Many thanks
1. Award tickets are typically booked on the stock of the airline whose miles you are redeeming, and typically book with the prime flight number of the operating carrier.

2. As you are departing from the UK, if you are downgraded, you would be covered by the provisions of UK 261 -- at least for the first flight, if not for the connecting flight, as well. I'm sure that other FTers with more knowledge of UK 261 will be along to weigh in on the latter point.