Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2023, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by irfan1729
Paris to Toronto is 35K Avios + CAD $100 with BA or 25K Avios + CAD $222 with Aer Lingus.

What is the better option of the two. Please let me know. Thanks. Appreciate it.
​​​​​​It's not clear to me whether it's the same routing with each program's Avios, or whether different routings are involved (i.e., routing via LON in one case, and via DUB in the other).

In any event, the answer to your question depends on how much value you typically get from your Avios. Is 10,000 Avios worth more or less than CAD $112 to you?
Old Feb 24, 2023, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
​​​​​​It's not clear to me whether it's the same routing with each program's Avios, or whether different routings are involved (i.e., routing via LON in one case, and via DUB in the other).

In any event, the answer to your question depends on how much value you typically get from your Avios. Is 10,000 Avios worth more or less than CAD $112 to you?

Yes, routing is via LON and DUB respectively.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by irfan1729
Yes, routing is via LON and DUB respectively.
DUB would be an easier airport for connections. But with DUB, you'll have a longer flight on an intra-European short-haul aircraft, with very tight seat pitch in Economy. So you have to weigh which is more important to you. And as I mentioned, only you can decide the relative value of Avios.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 11:42 am

DUB would be an easier airport for connections. But with DUB, you'll have a longer flight on an intra-European short-haul aircraft, with very tight seat pitch in Economy. So you have to weigh which is more important to you. And as I mentioned, only you can decide the relative value of Avios.
Ok Thanks. Appreciate it.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 1:38 pm

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
you'll have a longer flight on an intra-European short-haul aircraft, with very tight seat pitch in Economy.
But wouldn't then this also mean a shorter longhaul flight, with also not very great seat pitch?
Old Feb 24, 2023, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jms_uk
But wouldn't then this also mean a shorter longhaul flight, with also not very great seat pitch?
Economy seat pitch on BA and EI long-haul aircraft seems to be 31"; it's even less than that on short-haul aircraft.

I agree that neither is very good for someone who is tall.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 10:40 am

Programs: Priority Club, TAM Fidelidade, BAEC, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by wiivile
Is there a way to change my BAEC account from the USA to the UK? The RFS charges in GBP are much better than in USD. For some reason BA considers £100 GBP equal to $200 USD (LHR-JFK return in Y).
it depends on your address in the account, so yes, you can change it. They don't send physical objects to it as far as I know.
I'm not sure if the change will help though, this RFS for long haul is new. I think Britain-based members are better-off than the rest.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 11:18 am

Hi everyone, I'm new to redeeming with Avios and it's been quite fun reading and understanding the system. I'm trying to redeem YUL-LHR-MUC on economy in June (off peak). My understanding is the YUL-LHR segment can be redeemed for 13000 Avios + $440.00, and LHR-MUC should be 4750 Avios + $ 41.00 (plus the variants of Avios and cash), however when I search as YUL-MUC I get:
  • 34250 Avios + 101$
  • 27500 Avios + 191$
  • 20250 Avios + 461$
  • 14500 Avios + 521$
  • 10200 Avios + 606$
  • 7500 Avios + 666$
Is it better to book as YUL-MUC, or book separate YUL-LHR then LHR-MUC (travelling on the same day, just having a longer layover - could even book on Club Europe for cheaper)? The points total for the separate segments should be 17,750 + 481$ which I don't see on the YUL-MUC search. Thanks for any insights!
Old Feb 27, 2023, 1:36 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Originally Posted by angos
Hi everyone, I'm new to redeeming with Avios and it's been quite fun reading and understanding the system. I'm trying to redeem YUL-LHR-MUC on economy in June (off peak). My understanding is the YUL-LHR segment can be redeemed for 13000 Avios + $440.00, and LHR-MUC should be 4750 Avios + $ 41.00 (plus the variants of Avios and cash), however when I search as YUL-MUC I get:
  • 34250 Avios + 101$
  • 27500 Avios + 191$
  • 20250 Avios + 461$
  • 14500 Avios + 521$
  • 10200 Avios + 606$
  • 7500 Avios + 666$
Is it better to book as YUL-MUC, or book separate YUL-LHR then LHR-MUC (travelling on the same day, just having a longer layover - could even book on Club Europe for cheaper)? The points total for the separate segments should be 17,750 + 481$ which I don't see on the YUL-MUC search. Thanks for any insights!
Hi We need a little more information before we can truly work out what's happening; what exact dates are you looking at? You state this is June and should be off-peak but BA doesn't work that way. There are several days in June that BA considers as peak days, I suspect that you've been unlucky to choose one of the peak days, which would explain why the price is different to what you were expecting. Also I assume this is one way?

As for the itinerary I would recommend booking YUL to MUC as that way it is on one PNR and the LHR-MUC sector is protected if there are any issues with the YUL-LHR flight. Also if you have any luggage it will be through booked to MUC.

Also if you go for separate flights you will have to go through immigration at LHR on arrival and collect bags and check in for your LHR-MUC flight which might be a problem depending on the flights you've chosen.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by AJA_
Hi We need a little more information before we can truly work out what's happening; what exact dates are you looking at? You state this is June and should be off-peak but BA doesn't work that way. There are several days in June that BA considers as peak days, I suspect that you've been unlucky to choose one of the peak days, which would explain why the price is different to what you were expecting. Also I assume this is one way?

As for the itinerary I would recommend booking YUL to MUC as that way it is on one PNR and the LHR-MUC sector is protected if there are any issues with the YUL-LHR flight. Also if you have any luggage it will be through booked to MUC.

Also if you go for separate flights you will have to go through immigration at LHR on arrival and collect bags and check in for your LHR-MUC flight which might be a problem depending on the flights you've chosen.
Thanks for responding! I'm looking at June 12, which shows up as an off-peak date. And yes this is one way. If I book YUL-MUC, do you know if it's possible to upgrade the LHR-MUC portion to CE separately?
Old Feb 27, 2023, 2:21 pm

Thanks for responding! I'm looking at June 12, which shows up as an off-peak date. And yes this is one way. If I book YUL-MUC, do you know if it's possible to upgrade the LHR-MUC portion to CE separately?
That's odd as it should be off-peak. Are you departing YUL on the 12th?

As for your question yes it should be possible to upgrade just the LHR-MUC sector (assuming there is reward seat availability).
Old Feb 27, 2023, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by AJA_
That's odd as it should be off-peak. Are you departing YUL on the 12th?

As for your question yes it should be possible to upgrade just the LHR-MUC sector (assuming there is reward seat availability).
​​​​​​​Yes. Departing on the 12th, then the LHR-MUC flight on the 13th also shows up as off peak.

Last edited by angos; Feb 27, 2023 at 7:24 pm Reason: quoted previous post
Old Feb 28, 2023, 8:06 am

Noticed a new change on BA - you can now use Avios to part pay for holidays with British Airways Holidays

It's not applicable everywhere and it's not clear how much it costs

Here are the T&Cs from
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...ditions-of-use

1 Members can use their Avios to pay for part of the total price of selected holidays* (Flight + Hotel or Flight + Car) when making a non-redemption booking on ba.com for travel on British Airways operated flights and British Airways codeshares with selected partners.
2 Bookings made with this payment option will be subject to the standard fare rules associated with the holiday purchased.
3 Avios can be used to pay for bookings made on ba.com or by calling a British Airways Contact Centre.
4 The entire booking must be eligible for Avios part payment for it to be applied to the booking.
5 The Avios payment rates are defined in a fixed set of currencies. If more than one Avios payment option is available, it is not possible to change the price option chosen once a booking has been made.
6 The Avios payable will depend on the cabin class, route selected, the hotel and/or car selected, and the number of people on the booking, this will be clearly displayed on the booking page.
7 British Airways reserves the right to alter the applicable Avios payment rates at any time in its sole and absolute discretion, but this will not apply to bookings already made and the applicable rate will always be clearly displayed on the booking page.
8 When a Member makes a booking using Avios, the Member must make the relevant payment for the holiday. The Avios will be debited from the Member’s Executive Club account, for each passenger on the booking.
9 The Avios and Tier Points to be accrued by each Member on the booking will be in line with the flights purchased and available to view in Manage my Booking once the holiday has been booked.
10 When Avios have been used as part payment, the Avios will be refundable only where the holiday is refundable. Partial refunds of holiday payment will be credited to your Avios account up to the value of the original part payment, with any remainder credited to your original method of payment.
11 In the case of a Household Account, current redemption rules apply regarding the debiting of Avios across the accounts of the Household members. However, Members of a Household Account can make Avios part-payment bookings for people outside of the Household Account.
12 Once your chosen payment option has been selected and the booking confirmed, it is not possible to use Avios as a form of payment for any future balance payments on that booking.
13 Avios part payment may not be used in conjunction with any other promotional offers, unless expressly stated otherwise.

*Countries where BA Holidays are available are:

In Europe: UK, Germany, France, Italy, Ireland, Netherlands, Switzerland, Spain, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic Finland, Greece, Croatia, Hungary, Israel, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Turkey.
In the Americas: USA, Canada, Argentina, Barbados, Bermuda, Bahamas, Chile, Grenada, Jamaica, Cayman Islands, Mexico, St Lucia, St Kitts and Nevis**, Turks and Caicos, Trinidad and Tobago.
In the rest of the world: South Africa, Hong Kong, Australia, Singapore, United Arab Emirates, India, New Zealand**, Egypt.
(**Ground only markets)
PETER01 and alex67500 like this.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
  • 34250 Avios + 101$
  • 27500 Avios + 191$
  • 20250 Avios + 461$
  • 14500 Avios + 521$
  • 10200 Avios + 606$
  • 7500 Avios + 666$
The issue is that LHR-MUC is not priced as 4750 Avios + tax when you book in combination with a longhaul flight. It will be priced as one of the "higher Avios, lower taxes" options for LHR-MUC. Very annoying but it is a common issue; been there, done that. I doubt it has anything to do with peak/off-peak days
Old Mar 6, 2023, 5:54 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I wanted to upgrade a revenue booking for two people with Avios and the only option I was given was the difference between the Avios price in CE and ET for the option with max number of Avios, therefore 30,000-18,500. It used to be the difference between the RFS prices.

Was the agent right? Such a ripoff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.