Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition

Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition

Old May 12, 2023, 6:20 pm

Programs: US, LH, HH
If you change (not cancel) an Avios booking within 24hours of booking, would that be subject to the change fee?
Old May 12, 2023, 6:29 pm

Programs: AP AS BA
Changing a ticked award ticket (on a OW partner) to a Multi-Carrier Award

Hello brain trust,
Has anyone done or know if I can change a BA Avios reward ticket on a partner to a Multi-Carrier Award ticket?
Example: So today is May 12, 2023. I use BA.com to book a one-way partner award ticket on JL from North America to TYO to SE Asia for April 30 2024. Then on June 1, can I call in to add in CX flights from SE Asia to HKG to North America for May 14 2024? I would like to secure my outbound flights as soon as the schedule allows but then add on my return flights later. Of course, I am willing to pay the change fees and have my fees and taxes recalculated.
Or do I have to wait until both my outbound and return flights are all bookable and book them in one phone call?
Thank you

Last edited by fbrdky; May 12, 2023 at 6:31 pm Reason: typo
Old May 13, 2023, 1:07 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Searching Avios Award on BA.com on 16th Nov 23, there is AA availability for LAS-PHX-ELP, but if I search for LAS-PHX only, there is nothing. It's a matter of married segments, and I'm out of luck for flights to PHX only, or is there a different issue?
Old May 13, 2023, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
It appears to be a married-segment issue.

I would wait a bit until Southwest opens their booking window into mid-November. On Thursday, November 2, both AA and Southwest are offering $79 LAX-PHX nonstops. If the fare goes down to that for November 16 after Southwest extends its booking window, it seems a shame to spend Avios on such a flight.
Lefly likes this.
Old May 13, 2023, 2:01 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by fbrdky
Hello brain trust,
Has anyone done or know if I can change a BA Avios reward ticket on a partner to a Multi-Carrier Award ticket?
Example: So today is May 12, 2023. I use BA.com to book a one-way partner award ticket on JL from North America to TYO to SE Asia for April 30 2024. Then on June 1, can I call in to add in CX flights from SE Asia to HKG to North America for May 14 2024? I would like to secure my outbound flights as soon as the schedule allows but then add on my return flights later. Of course, I am willing to pay the change fees and have my fees and taxes recalculated.
Or do I have to wait until both my outbound and return flights are all bookable and book them in one phone call?
Thank you
I don't see that would work. Normal rewards and multi-partner rewards are completely different beasts and price up very differently. I don't see that you can easily turn one in to the other.
fbrdky likes this.
Old May 13, 2023, 1:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis PC
Apologies if this has been covered somewhere, I couldnt find it anywhere.

Given the recent intro of reward flight saver on long haul doesnt include First Class, does anyone know how BA are now pricing avios upgrades from J to F when the underlying J booking is a revenue fare?
Old May 15, 2023, 9:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis PC
Originally Posted by thomasd21

Given the recent intro of reward flight saver on long haul doesnt include First Class, does anyone know how BA are now pricing avios upgrades from J to F when the underlying J booking is a revenue fare?
Quick bump for this if anyone more knowledgeable has any input here?
Old May 15, 2023, 10:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by thomasd21

It should be the difference between the old CW non rfs avios amount and the F amount. Taxes would be based on how much tax youve paid on the revenue fare.

You could try the book and upgrade with avios option on ba.com to validate.
thomasd21 likes this.
Old May 15, 2023, 9:53 pm

How do I use avios to book JAL?! TIA

Please help crew, do I have to transfer or book straight through BA?
Old May 15, 2023, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by jdesroches7
Please help crew, do I have to transfer or book straight through BA?
You cannot transfer Avios to JL. You can book JL award flights directly from your BAEC account, if there is partner award availability.
​​​​​​
Old May 17, 2023, 1:59 pm

PAR to NYC in Business

Dear all, I am trying to redeem Avios on PAR-NYC on 10/23 afternoon, or 10/24, and I only see BA awards at 106,250 avios plus cash or less avios but then even more cash. Is that a normal off-peak price or are there availability constraints, or is it a peak price and the tool is wrong saying off-peak, please? It seems to be the third and that the price is simply crazy high. Any strategy to fly business, on any airline on those dates for a more reasonable 50-60k? I also looked at flights from London, so only one segment, and you still need 90k, or 60 k and more money. I do not see IB availability. But understand they would be much cheaper. I do not see any availability on the IB website either and ExpertFlyer does not show Finnair availability on those dates.

Thanks!

Last edited by af fp; May 17, 2023 at 7:07 pm
Old May 19, 2023, 5:56 am

Programs: US, LH, HH
I've had quite the ordeal to get a multi-partner award ticketed, not because there was issues with the routing, but just getting the taxes calculated and it actually being issued. My last call seems to have ended up in some expedited ticketing, but I'm not entirely sure if this is done properly now. There is a ticket number and my credit card was charged. However I did not receive a confirmation mail from BA (I can use the website to do it myself) and the ticket format is 125-XXXXXXXX33-34 I was under the impression that ticket number are just 13 digits, wha's up with the additional -XX at the end?
Old May 19, 2023, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by freakazoid
I've had quite the ordeal to get a multi-partner award ticketed, not because there was issues with the routing, but just getting the taxes calculated and it actually being issued. My last call seems to have ended up in some expedited ticketing, but I'm not entirely sure if this is done properly now. There is a ticket number and my credit card was charged. However I did not receive a confirmation mail from BA (I can use the website to do it myself) and the ticket format is 125-XXXXXXXX33-34 I was under the impression that ticket number are just 13 digits, wha's up with the additional -XX at the end?
2nd ticket, usually the return. Same first digits then last 2 differ.
freakazoid likes this.
Old May 19, 2023, 6:28 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Sounds like you are ok. If you can't produce a ticket using the link at the bottom of MMB, you can also use the "email my ticket" page on the AY site and check it all looks ok

https://www.finnair.com/gb-en/custom...ticket-receipt
freakazoid likes this.
Old May 19, 2023, 2:51 pm

Does BA exempt the service centre fee when you can't book your ticket online?

Tried to make a Avios booking online but it kept erroring out "Sorry, there’s a problem with booking this journey online. You can try selecting other flights or contact us so an agent can help you book the flights you have selected"

The agent quoted me the taxes without the service centre fee and wasn't after the call did I notice that I was also charged the fee. Will BA refund it if I call back?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.