Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition

Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition

Old Apr 16, 2023, 5:41 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Tofino87
Likely down to the new pricing structure available due to the introduction of RFS in J for long haul now, I suspect.

More Avios, less tax? Just a thought
indeed. Rfs for J but not for F, so if you click through you will see a range of pricing options for J which go from very high avios and low cash - I.e the 90k price.

EDIT: for example for a one way to NYC J has RFS and pricing options where it is possible to pay more avios to bring the cash component down below the level of taxes/fees/charges. F does not have RFS so the minimum cash you can pay is the actual TFC.

Last edited by KARFA; Apr 16, 2023 at 6:26 am
Old Apr 17, 2023, 2:06 pm
SK

I am trying to book an avios award ticket ATH-(AA USA gateway)-SYR. E.g., ATH-LHR-ORD-SYR.

As is well known here, the BA.com award search engine has been mostly unable to find American Airlines connections on such itineraries. So, while it gives me options for, in this example, ATH-LHR-ORD, and I can find, in a different search, award flights for ORD-SYR, it won't give me both in the same search.

Is my only option to call? And if the agents are able to stitch these together, will the ORD-SYR leg increase the total avios required?
Old Apr 17, 2023, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by SK
And if the agents are able to stitch these together, will the ORD-SYR leg increase the total avios required?
Of course -- unless you were to book a multi-carrier award. On regular awards, BA charges for each leg flown.

Edited to add: You might try searching first on aa.com, to see if any routings are offered.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 3:28 pm
SK

Exclamation Nil mortalibus ardui est

I have no trouble finding such routings on aa.com (and I may end up spending AA miles, if my avios attempts end up fruitless).

Isn't this by definition a multi-carrier award, since the first segment (ATH-LHR) must be BA, while the last segment must be AA?

Originally Posted by guv1976
Of course -- unless you were to book a multi-carrier award. On regular awards, BA charges for each leg flown.

Edited to add: You might try searching first on aa.com, to see if any routings are offered.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by SK
Isn't this by definition a multi-carrier award, since the first segment (ATH-LHR) must be BA, while the last segment must be AA?
No: a multi-carrier award with BA requires use of at least two BA partners -- with or without BA on the itinerary.
SK and kalderlake like this.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 8:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AF-KL Gold, Hilton Honors Silver
Question:

Has anyone had experience using Avios for Highlife Shop purchases? If so, would anyone recommend it as a good value for spending Avios? Particularly looking at Jo Malone fragrances as I think it might be a nice surprise for the SO on the flight for our 2 year anniversary.

Thanks guys
Old Apr 23, 2023, 8:39 am

Programs: AA PRO, BA S
I was charged 89750 avios + 671usd taxes per person for a peak mixed cabin EDI-LHR-EWR Y/F booking - when J space opened up on EDI-LHR I called in to inquire about changing to that

i was shocked to be quoted 280k avios for 2 people (140k per person) and the same tax amount. I asked if this was because they were choosing on of the low/no tax options and the agent said the taxes were still the same.

That cost doesnt seem correct, right? Anyone have a rough idea of what this be pricing out at (peak June)? I cant replicate a J-F booking on the website since availability doesnt exist on my date

edit: HUCA paid off and was able to get this reticketed for 80k pp. I was charged 9750 extra person to ticket this as mixed cabin itinerary but they scrapped that when I went to J-F

Last edited by perkerkeem; Apr 23, 2023 at 9:11 am
Old Apr 23, 2023, 12:27 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by perkerkeem
I was charged 89750 avios + 671usd taxes per person for a peak mixed cabin EDI-LHR-EWR Y/F booking - when J space opened up on EDI-LHR I called in to inquire about changing to that

i was shocked to be quoted 280k avios for 2 people (140k per person) and the same tax amount. I asked if this was because they were choosing on of the low/no tax options and the agent said the taxes were still the same.

That cost doesnt seem correct, right? Anyone have a rough idea of what this be pricing out at (peak June)? I cant replicate a J-F booking on the website since availability doesnt exist on my date

edit: HUCA paid off and was able to get this reticketed for 80k pp. I was charged 9750 extra person to ticket this as mixed cabin itinerary but they scrapped that when I went to J-F
domestic flights added on to long haul rewards should not cost any more avios. If you are in J/F then you should be able to book Y or J on the domestic (depending on availability) and no extra avios should be charged.
kalderlake likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2023, 5:14 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
I trying to book an avios ticket on QR for tomorrow travel. The BAEC booking engine do not show any availability while on aa.com the flights are available!
Is there something wrong with BA booking engine?
Old Apr 27, 2023, 8:56 am

I noticed an odd thing recently, when reducing the number of avios required with cash you are buying avios for well under 1p for economy and premium economy flights on some partner redemptions. But for business you are paying well above 1p / avio. Kind of odd that the price per avio varies here.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
I trying to book an avios ticket on QR for tomorrow travel. The BAEC booking engine do not show any availability while on aa.com the flights are available!
Is there something wrong with BA booking engine?
Try pricing segment by segment. BAEC booking engine is far from perfect
Old May 2, 2023, 12:05 pm

Deleted

Last edited by Bennybear; May 2, 2023 at 5:58 pm Reason: Deleted
Old May 9, 2023, 1:08 pm

Is the flight finder broken? cant find any flights out of YVR or SEA. Any better methods out there for finding award bookings?
Old May 10, 2023, 8:00 pm

Hey everyone,

Looking to book SIN-SYD on BA using Avios in Y. The date I'm looking at is an off-peak date according to the BA website. Being 3908 miles, as I understand it it should put it in the 13000 Avios band for off peak. Yet the website shows 25k as the cheapest redemption? Anything I'm missing or specific that I need to be looking for?

Thanks
Old May 11, 2023, 2:16 pm

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
This kind of fits in here. Is there any website/twitter account that advises new/extra rotations to BA routes that perhaps wouldn't get it's own thread here.

Tlr have piles of Avios and just got a flexible extra week holiday over the summer so looking for random extra RFS availability with the kids to Europe for a week. By the time it came back only LUX/ABZ seemingly still available.

I know that random extra rotations have been added from LGW to sun destinations, but not sure how I'd get alerted to snap up any possible RFS availability? I'm very flexible but preference is using my Avios!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.