Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2023, 8:33 am
Ryn
Suspended

Would you agree that using an expiring 2-4-1 voucher and 60,000 avios for economy flights to the Caribbean is a 'bad use'?

Taxes are £300, and currently 2 x economy fares are £1240.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 8:44 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Ryn
Would you agree that using an expiring 2-4-1 voucher and 60,000 avios for economy flights to the Caribbean is a 'bad use'?

Taxes are £300, and currently 2 x economy fares are £1240.
It’s not great value, but not terrible either at 1.56p/Avios (if £300 is in total, rather than per person).

Once you factor in that the avios booking would be flexible, you’re getting even more value.
PETER01 and m8_rotate like this.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 6:05 pm

Am unable to see any YYZ-LON availability for early June. I wonder what's going on.

Thanks.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 2:46 am

Programs: BA Silver
I’m trying to book a reward flight for my wife LGW-AGP-LGW. There’s no flexibility on timings as it’s a weekend away with friends - there’s a reward seat on outbound but not return. Is there anyway of doing a reward out cash back on a single booking ? If not does anyone know how to you change the currency to sterling from euros on The BA App , on a single journey originating in Europe ? Thanks.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 2:55 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

You can't combine a redemption and a revenue booking on a single ticket.

You could just do the redemption outbound and a revenue one way back. I can't see anything really going wrong doing it this way. As for how to change the currency on the App I'm not sure. However, you could just call BA and make the separate return booking over the phone?
Yetak likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 2:57 am

Originally Posted by Yetak
I’m trying to book a reward flight for my wife LGW-AGP-LGW. There’s no flexibility on timings as it’s a weekend away with friends - there’s a reward seat on outbound but not return. Is there anyway of doing a reward out cash back on a single booking ? If not does anyone know how to you change the currency to sterling from euros on The BA App , on a single journey originating in Europe ? Thanks.
You cannot mix reward and revenue flights in the same booking.

I'm afraid there is also no way of getting a price in sterling online for a flight originating overseas... unless you were willing of flying out of GIB instead.

You might be able to get a price in sterling by booking over the phone, but that would be subject to a service fee.

What is it important to pay in sterling?
Old Feb 24, 2023, 3:02 am

Originally Posted by ringingup
You cannot mix reward and revenue flights in the same booking.

I'm afraid there is also no way of getting a price in sterling online for a flight originating overseas... unless you were willing of flying out of GIB instead.

You might be able to get a price in sterling by booking over the phone, but that would be subject to a service fee.

What is it important to pay in sterling?
Thanks - I assume I’ll pay a transaction fee on my card for a foreign currency transaction although I haven’t checked it’s the BA Amex plus.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 3:05 am

Originally Posted by irfan1729
Am unable to see any YYZ-LON availability for early June. I wonder what's going on.

Thanks.
Maybe there's just none available at the moment? Worth rechecking regularly or set up an alert on Expertflyer or seatspy if you subscribe.

I ueed to fly to Toronto every summer regularly to see relatives and Canada is very popular at that time of year, so with 3 months to go I'm not surprised especially if it's premium cabins your looking for.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 4:01 am

Thanks - I assume I’ll pay a transaction fee on my card for a foreign currency transaction although I haven’t checked it’s the BA Amex plus.
You would, yes.
Yetak likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by PETER01
Maybe there's just none available at the moment? Worth rechecking regularly or set up an alert on Expertflyer or seatspy if you subscribe.

I ueed to fly to Toronto every summer regularly to see relatives and Canada is very popular at that time of year, so with 3 months to go I'm not surprised especially if it's premium cabins your looking for.

Thanks. Just 2 days ago they were available and then became invisble and now again they have showed up. Weird.
PETER01 likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 8:39 am

Programs: BA
Is there a way to change my BAEC account from the USA to the UK? The RFS charges in GBP are much better than in USD. For some reason BA considers £100 GBP equal to $200 USD (LHR-JFK return in Y).
Old Feb 24, 2023, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by PETER01
You can't combine a redemption and a revenue booking on a single ticket.

You could just do the redemption outbound and a revenue one way back. I can't see anything really going wrong doing it this way. As for how to change the currency on the App I'm not sure. However, you could just call BA and make the separate return booking over the phone?
Thanks yes did two separate bookings reward out cash return. Couldn’t figure how to change currency so used my Currensea card to avoid charges etc does mean I missed out on Amex avios though. Thanks everyone who replied.
PETER01 likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 9:50 am

Thanks yes did two separate bookings reward out cash return. Couldn’t figure how to change currency so used my Currensea card to avoid charges etc does mean I missed out on Amex avios though. Thanks everyone who replied.
I'm pleased it worked out for you, thanks for coming back
Yetak likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 9:51 am

Paris to Toronto is 35K Avios + CAD $100 with BA or 25K Avios + CAD $222 with Aer Lingus.

What is the better option of the two. Please let me know. Thanks. Appreciate it.

Last edited by irfan1729; Feb 24, 2023 at 10:21 am
Old Feb 24, 2023, 10:20 am

with a BAPP, 3 avios per £1 would’ve made up for the foreign currency fees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.