Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2022, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by USA_flyer
Hi - I have an SAN-LHR sector on 1-Jan-23 I would very much like to UuA on. I have the amex points I can convert to avios. I know I need to find out if there is a redemption seat available. How do I do that please?

in WTP at the moment, would like to be in club.
Seatspy is showing 3 redemption seats for SAN to LHR available in business class on 1st January 23
Old Nov 11, 2022, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by markmac
Seatspy is showing 3 redemption seats for SAN to LHR available in business class on 1st January 23
Thank you for looking. I'm transferring the points now...

Hopefully the seats will still be there when the avios credit from amex
Old Nov 11, 2022, 8:38 pm

Programs: BA Exec
Having read the extremely useful UUA section at the start, am I correct in thinking that having already flown the LHR-LAX part of an LHR-LAX-LHR itinerary on a BA Holidays ticket, I will not be eligible to UUA from WTP to CW - assuming there is award availability in the CW cabin ?

I’m referring to the bit in the UUA section which states part flown itineraries are not eligible for UUA.
Old Nov 12, 2022, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks to Markmac, I know there are redemption seats in CW on my flight. I have never done this before so don't know the mechanics of using the app to upgrade, it doesn't seem to be obvious.

Do I go into "change my booking" section under MMB or somewhere else?

I went Into change my booking but upgrading with miles wasnt an option. I have 44k. Is it possible I don't have enough? Or do I need to call BA?

Last edited by USA_flyer; Nov 12, 2022 at 2:03 am
Old Nov 12, 2022, 2:40 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
You can try the upgrade with avios option on MMB but it frequently doesn’t work, so easiest it just to call.
Old Nov 12, 2022, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KARFA
You can try the upgrade with avios option on MMB but it frequently doesn’t work, so easiest it just to call.
Thank you. I'll do just that a bit later.

Will report results for posterity.

ETA: no UuA availability. Apparently there were seats just for premium card holders. Said seats might be releases closer to the time. Can't uua at overseas airport. Cash only.

ETA: im like a dog with a bone on this. I did a search in ba.com and there is a club seat available. Is this a HUCA situation or should I just drop it.

Last edited by USA_flyer; Nov 12, 2022 at 10:11 am
Old Nov 12, 2022, 10:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LHW Sterling; SLH Inspired; Hilton & Marriott Gold; HT P9; (ex) AA survivor; Harrods Gold
Sorry if this is a silly question - but are UuAs from J to F exceedingly limited? In other words, is this something that I will really be able to do only through GPRs? Been looking at a trip to Japan sometime in 2023 and haven't seen a single flight with availability.
Old Nov 13, 2022, 2:24 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I don't think BA operate F to Japan now so it wouldn't be possible to UuA from J.

However, yes the principle is right that if you are in J on a cash fare and there is a F reward seat you should be able to UuA (subject to a few other criteria noted in the reference posts at the start of this thread). I don't think you can do a GPR tho to open a seat for UuA.
bzado likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2022, 5:48 am

Programs: AC SE, Star Alliance Gold
I'm hoping I can ask for some advice in this thread. I need to fly Edinburgh to YUL/YOW about 8-10 times in the next year. I'm currently based on Canada (but would fly these trips EDI-YUL because roundtrips originating in Europe are so much cheaper), so Air Canada/Aeroplan would be a natural choice. But the BA EDI-LHR-YUL flight has more convenient take-off/land times, is shorter overall, and is one connection rather than 2, which most of ACs are. Flying Premium Economy both ways also prices in quite a bit cheaper than AC, e.g, just under £1000 vs £1500 for AC. The current tier points structure also seems to make it very easy to attain gold status, each PE roundtrip would be 200 tier points, I think, so I'd hit gold after 8 trips and total roughly £8000 spend.

Going with AC instead of BA has some advantages. There are more transatlantic route options and times EDI-YUL/YOW, and I'd have the option of building in stopovers in continental Europe, e.g. Paris, Frankfurt, Rome, Brussels, Munich, Zurich, etc. AC status seems to offer a lot of perqs at the highest tiers, which I could also use for family holidays and so on (using AC's route network from YUL to the US/Caribbean, etc.). The rewards program also lets you redeem points on every flight (with dynamic pricing), and there is access to Star Alliance, and Star Alliances lounges, which is a much larger network than OneWorld.

One thing I don't have is a sense of the value of BA Gold and Avios currency. There seem to be less perqs than with AC. And for the Avios, I've seen several mentions in this thread about it being difficult/impossible to use Avios for upgrades, as there is no availability. (Although maybe there would be on YUL-LHR since it's much less popular than YYZ-LHR?).

Any advice very much appreciated. Specific info about the availability/value of Avios on YUL departures would be especially useful, but general thought on the value of Avios/Gold would be v helpful too.

thanks.
Old Nov 13, 2022, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Would anyone know if this routing would work with a 2-4-1.
GRU-LHR (stop) LHR-DEL > DEL-LHR (stop) MIA or a Caribbean destination on BA.

I can price up the one way with a stop online but errors out when I try do return. Should be no YQ on entire journey right? Just Airport taxes and APD.
Old Nov 13, 2022, 10:22 am

Programs: BA Gold; LHW Sterling; SLH Inspired; Hilton & Marriott Gold; HT P9; (ex) AA survivor; Harrods Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
I don't think BA operate F to Japan now so it wouldn't be possible to UuA from J.

However, yes the principle is right that if you are in J on a cash fare and there is a F reward seat you should be able to UuA (subject to a few other criteria noted in the reference posts at the start of this thread). I don't think you can do a GPR tho to open a seat for UuA.
Thank you for your response! I think I saw JL first and got confused (but of course those wouldn't work for UuA). Good to know about GPRs not being able to force availability for UuA!
Old Nov 13, 2022, 10:30 am

Deleted

Last edited by bzado; Nov 13, 2022 at 10:31 am Reason: Forgot to quote
Old Nov 13, 2022, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by flyingcrooked
I'm hoping I can ask for some advice in this thread. I need to fly Edinburgh to YUL/YOW about 8-10 times in the next year. I'm currently based on Canada (but would fly these trips EDI-YUL because roundtrips originating in Europe are so much cheaper), so Air Canada/Aeroplan would be a natural choice. But the BA EDI-LHR-YUL flight has more convenient take-off/land times, is shorter overall, and is one connection rather than 2, which most of ACs are. Flying Premium Economy both ways also prices in quite a bit cheaper than AC, e.g, just under £1000 vs £1500 for AC. The current tier points structure also seems to make it very easy to attain gold status, each PE roundtrip would be 200 tier points, I think, so I'd hit gold after 8 trips and total roughly £8000 spend.

Going with AC instead of BA has some advantages. There are more transatlantic route options and times EDI-YUL/YOW, and I'd have the option of building in stopovers in continental Europe, e.g. Paris, Frankfurt, Rome, Brussels, Munich, Zurich, etc. AC status seems to offer a lot of perqs at the highest tiers, which I could also use for family holidays and so on (using AC's route network from YUL to the US/Caribbean, etc.). The rewards program also lets you redeem points on every flight (with dynamic pricing), and there is access to Star Alliance, and Star Alliances lounges, which is a much larger network than OneWorld.

One thing I don't have is a sense of the value of BA Gold and Avios currency. There seem to be less perqs than with AC. And for the Avios, I've seen several mentions in this thread about it being difficult/impossible to use Avios for upgrades, as there is no availability. (Although maybe there would be on YUL-LHR since it's much less popular than YYZ-LHR?).

Any advice very much appreciated. Specific info about the availability/value of Avios on YUL departures would be especially useful, but general thought on the value of Avios/Gold would be v helpful too.

thanks.
I find flying BA much more pleasant than the AC experience. However, I'd stick with AC if you fly a lot domestically. For lounge access, I think the easy thing is to just rely on AmEx plat.

The LHR-YUL Avios value on UuAs is actually so incredible, I had thought I did the math wrong. I consistently saw upgrades into J at a cost of just 37.5K Avios and 770GBP, working out to a mind-boggling 17p/Avios (but do your own DD).
flyingcrooked likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 3:38 am

I posted the below in the main BA section but thought those here may be better placed to give advice!

I'm attempting the "golden ticket" LON-SYD 2-4-1 Avios redemption shortly and never having done the phoning at midnight wanted to be sure of my strategy!

Appreciate there are some older posts related to this and they make mention of phoning US/Japan/India (with some mentioning during the last few years they then got transferred to Newcastle or India due to overwhelming enquiries with FTV etc).

Has anyone any recent experience of phoning at midnight to book? Which number/office did you call? What time did you call? (2345-2350 seems to be general guidance?) Were you successful? (There has been recent mention, in particular calling US, of being told it's the wrong department and having to call another number or worse, being on hold and not being able to get through and seeing your flights dissappear) Has anyone done it using the cabin upgrade as opposed to 241 voucher?

I've done a couple of dummy online bookings at the strike of midnight and have managed to get to the payment page in less than a minute. I understand those talking to an agent will have the flights "reserved" until payment whilst doing it online means they may show as available but but the time you get to the payment page, an agent has removed them from sale? Assuming (!) you can through to an agent, presumably phoning is your best bet with online maybe as backup?

Worst case, I see lots of Avios availability with QTR via Doha which, whilst costing more Avios and not making use of the 2-4-1, would actually be a preferred option (esp for return where flight timings are better for me) so if I miss out, not all is lost. That said, being able to snare the outbound with BA using the 2-4-1 just for that leg (or maybe even a cabin upgrade would work out more cost effective saving the 241) would be my preferred option.

Any help very much appreciated!!
Old Nov 14, 2022, 7:19 am

Programs: AC SE, Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by bzado
I find flying BA much more pleasant than the AC experience. However, I'd stick with AC if you fly a lot domestically. For lounge access, I think the easy thing is to just rely on AmEx plat.

The LHR-YUL Avios value on UuAs is actually so incredible, I had thought I did the math wrong. I consistently saw upgrades into J at a cost of just 37.5K Avios and 770GBP, working out to a mind-boggling 17p/Avios (but do your own DD).
Thanks, yes, I have the Amex Platinum, although I find lounge access is unreliable because lounges can be closed to PP/Amex users.

I'm not sure I understood what you said about LHR-YUl UuAs. Can I just double check (new to BA so have no idea how upgrades work)./ Are you saying you saw upgrades from Premium Economy into Business for 37,500 Avios plus 770GBP for a return trip? I think that's what you meant, except 37,500 Avios at 17 pence each = £6375, and there's no way a J ticket cost that plus 770GBP plus whatever the premium economy fare cost in the first place. (If you meant 1.7 pence instead, that brings total cost of the J return to about £2200, assuming the original premium economy return was £800.)

Related question, if you have time: Are upgrades typically some number of points plus something like £800 on top of the points? Or can you go all points and/or all pounds sterling? Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.