Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2022, 12:15 am

Programs: BA exec, KLM , Toon travel
urgh, I've now booked my flights with my sister's name as Mr. and not Mrs, guessing I'll need to ring to change
Old Jul 22, 2022, 4:40 am

I booked our flights last September for next month LHR-MCO return for 2 adults and a child for £1,450 and 35k Avios. Thought it would be a good deal. This year, already August for next year is showing at £1,400 but 100k Avios and a 2 for 1 one voucher used. Seems like a massive jump?

Are we due flight sales soon?
Old Jul 23, 2022, 1:48 pm

Programs: BA, LH
Japan

I would like to get to Japan in autumn 23. We have c 300,000 avios and Amex vouchers. As I understand it first is no longer available on BA. is there any reasonable chance of getting a pair of club seats a fortnight apart. I know not now obviously but seats seem pretty rare full stop. Advice welcome on 1. Trying for seats in due course or 2. Spending avios on hotels or 3. Paying cash for the Japan holiday on any ex London deal and using avios for an entirely different adventure. Thanks.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 8:49 am

I would like to book one way business award HEL-MAD or HEL-BCN with BA avios but somehow i can't do it online because BA system won't recognize the flights i would like to book(HEL-BCN AY1653 and HEL-MAD AY1661). Flights are nonstop AY flights but operated by IB. BA system only gives me flights with stop overs. I can see the flights and book with AA but i don't have any miles or account with them. Any work arounds or do i have to call and what would the least time consuming number to call?

EDIT. I can book the flights with QR but for 50000miles rather than 23k with BA

Last edited by joorinainen; Aug 7, 2022 at 6:16 am
Old Aug 2, 2022, 9:30 am

Didn't want to start a new thread on this, so posting it here (hopefully is not too off topic):

Is it completely unreasonable to always use Part Pay with Avios (instead of redeeming tickets outright) in order to maximize TP's? I understand that the value can drop to 0.45p per Avios when redeeming a big chunk of Avios, but the additional benefit of getting TPs back (towards current elite status and lifetime status) should be taken into account, in addition to the Avios earned from the paid ticket.

How many people deploy this strategy, or is the earn/ burn ratio too poor to really do this on a regular basis?
Old Aug 2, 2022, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by CX HK
Didn't want to start a new thread on this, so posting it here (hopefully is not too off topic):

Is it completely unreasonable to always use Part Pay with Avios (instead of redeeming tickets outright) in order to maximize TP's? I understand that the value can drop to 0.45p per Avios when redeeming a big chunk of Avios, but the additional benefit of getting TPs back (towards current elite status and lifetime status) should be taken into account, in addition to the Avios earned from the paid ticket.

How many people deploy this strategy, or is the earn/ burn ratio too poor to really do this on a regular basis?
How you can you use Avios and still earn Avios in the same time?
Old Aug 2, 2022, 11:10 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by joorinainen
How you can you use Avios and still earn Avios in the same time?
Basically one would still be buying a revenue ticket of which the price can be reduced by part paying with Avios.

Therefore, earning the relevant number of Avios and thereafter redeeming some Avios to reduce the price.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32912161-post8.html
Old Aug 2, 2022, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by PETER01
Basically one would still be buying a revenue ticket of which the price can be reduced by part paying with Avios.

Therefore, earning the relevant number of Avios and thereafter redeeming some Avios to reduce the price.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32912161-post8.html
Interesting. Thanks!
Old Aug 6, 2022, 11:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
- Is it still the case that you can get your Amex companion voucher extended ?

- can you book a trip beyond the end date of your companion voucher … or does the outbound need to be in the time before it expires ?
Old Aug 6, 2022, 3:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Originally Posted by Dicksbits
- Is it still the case that you can get your Amex companion voucher extended ?

- can you book a trip beyond the end date of your companion voucher … or does the outbound need to be in the time before it expires ?
There are no more extensions to Amex companion vouchers

And outbound flight needs to be before expiry date.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 2:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
Potentially silly question but what's the cancellation policy on Avios bookings on partner (QF ) flights ? .. When I go through online I get directed to the Request a voucher form - but it's not a flight on BA, and it's after 30th September so pretty sure this is wrong ?

Booking in Question is QF SYD-PER o/w 4 pax .. 52,000 Avios + £95 was the payment originally made ... I believe the £95 would be forfeited but I could get the Avios back ?
Old Aug 13, 2022, 6:00 am

Programs: Chevalier de la Gallentrie - Knight of the Platinum Hair Brush, BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Can you combine other avios flights on the same booking as a RFS leg?

Is it possible to add on other avios bookings to an RFS flight? Specific example:
GLA-LHR-ORD as an RFS flight - 25k avios and £50. I'd like to add on an ORD-DFW leg on the same booking (flight later that day) in order to protect myself against any delays/misconnects (and yes, I know I could just fly direct to DFW, but this is FT and since when did we book routings because they were the most direct way to get somewhere)?
Likewise if I wanted an RFS booking for SFO-LHR-GLA, but wanted to tag on an LAX-SFO avios booking to the same ticket before it.

Clearly not possible from online, and i'm expecting the answer to be no (i could book it as a single ticket i'm sure, without trying for the RFS bit) - but wanted to check if anyone has ever done this successfully?
Old Aug 13, 2022, 11:42 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Originally Posted by efincomputer
Is it possible to add on other avios bookings to an RFS flight? Specific example:
GLA-LHR-ORD as an RFS flight - 25k avios and £50. I'd like to add on an ORD-DFW leg on the same booking (flight later that day) in order to protect myself against any delays/misconnects (and yes, I know I could just fly direct to DFW, but this is FT and since when did we book routings because they were the most direct way to get somewhere)?
Likewise if I wanted an RFS booking for SFO-LHR-GLA, but wanted to tag on an LAX-SFO avios booking to the same ticket before it.

Clearly not possible from online, and i'm expecting the answer to be no (i could book it as a single ticket i'm sure, without trying for the RFS bit) - but wanted to check if anyone has ever done this successfully?
I'd say it's a no simply because I believe RFS flights need to be on BA metal and a US internal flight will not be.
efincomputer likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by efincomputer

AA will protect you on separate tickets, but only if both tickets are on the same PNR. Not sure if BA can or will do that for you.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 8:25 pm

Quick question, I want to book an award Prg-Lhr-Iad, currently only the Lhr-Iad segment is available and I want to grab that since its in first class. When Prg-Lhr opens up closer to departure which looks like it will, can I add that segment on and get a refund on the taxes and fees since Lhr--Iad is a lot more expensive on the surcharges because of the passenger duty compared to Prg-Lhr-Iad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.