Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2022, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by jlndll
If I book an award ticket on Alaska using 7500 Avios, does anyone know if I can then do same day change with Alaska during the check-in window?
AS same day change used to be issuer agnostic (did not care who issued the ticket or with what) but I haven’t tried it with any award tickets for some time. AS SDC thread is here:
Same Day Confirmed Change (SDC)
Old Jul 15, 2022, 6:46 pm

Hey all, curious if someone might be able to help...

I see an award ticket from LHR to Pittsburgh on the date I want, and another CDG to Pittsburgh not on the day I want. The CDG is $300 less in fees while the same points/miles.

While I'll be in Paris, I wonder, are there any other cities in Europe (a train ride away?) that help keep those pesky fees down? Or, a way to tack it on manually?
Old Jul 15, 2022, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by jacobslide
Hey all, curious if someone might be able to help...

I see an award ticket from LHR to Pittsburgh on the date I want, and another CDG to Pittsburgh not on the day I want. The CDG is $300 less in fees while the same points/miles.

While I'll be in Paris, I wonder, are there any other cities in Europe (a train ride away?) that help keep those pesky fees down? Or, a way to tack it on manually?
You can try BRU, but I suspect that the bulk of the remaining charges is the "carrier surcharge."
Old Jul 15, 2022, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
You can try BRU, but I suspect that the bulk of the remaining charges is the "carrier surcharge."
Thanks! They're both LHR-PIT on BA, but CDG-LHR-PIT is $350 instead of $650 due to fees.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks! They're both LHR-PIT on BA, but CDG-LHR-PIT is $350 instead of $650 due to fees.
If you originate in the U.K., you are subject to the U.K. Air Passenger Duty; if you merely connect in the U.K., you are not.

It's also possible that the amount of BA's carrier surcharge will be less from different origination airports.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 6:55 am

Programs: AP AS BA
If you originate in the U.K., you are subject to the U.K. Air Passenger Duty; if you merely connect in the U.K., you are not.

It's also possible that the amount of BA's carrier surcharge will be less from different origination airports.
At the risk of drifting off topic...
Several weeks ago, I was searching for a cash booking for LHR and AMS/CDG-LHR to Western Canada in Y. the total costs were all the same as BA has lower base fares for itineraries departing from the UK. No free lunch, I guess.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 9:59 am

Looks like LUX-LHR is the way to go here, now the question is can I get to an 11:10AM flight out from Paris by train or not haha -- looks like it gets me to the airport at 10:20, cutting it a bit close maybe? Never been to the LUX airport though.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like LUX-LHR is the way to go here, now the question is can I get to an 11:10AM flight out from Paris by train or not haha -- looks like it gets me to the airport at 10:20, cutting it a bit close maybe? Never been to the LUX airport though.
That would be too close for (my) comfort. What is the cost of getting to LUX vs. getting to CDG? And what is the savings on the taxes/fees on an award ticket?
Old Jul 17, 2022, 6:19 am

Programs: BA Gold
I want to use an Amex 2-4-1 voucher on part of an Avios booking. Is this possible on one booking or does it need to be two separate bookings?

More specifically, I want to book Dublin to Santiago (SCL), via London, to significantly reduce the Air Passenger Duty at Heathrow, as only in transit. I know I cannot book DUB-SCL using a voucher as flights have to originate in the UK. My thought, would be to book DUB-LHR without a voucher and LHR-SCL with a voucher and combine them as one booking. Is this something BA can/will do? Or is there any other way to reduce the APD?. (I have tried Jersey and Inverness before and whilst there are savings they do not appear to be as great as DUB).
Old Jul 17, 2022, 10:44 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Originally Posted by polemi
I want to use an Amex 2-4-1 voucher on part of an Avios booking. Is this possible on one booking or does it need to be two separate bookings?

More specifically, I want to book Dublin to Santiago (SCL), via London, to significantly reduce the Air Passenger Duty at Heathrow, as only in transit. I know I cannot book DUB-SCL using a voucher as flights have to originate in the UK. My thought, would be to book DUB-LHR without a voucher and LHR-SCL with a voucher and combine them as one booking. Is this something BA can/will do? Or is there any other way to reduce the APD?. (I have tried Jersey and Inverness before and whilst there are savings they do not appear to be as great as DUB).
While it is possible to do two separate bookings ie DUB-LHR and then LHR-SCL they will always remain separate bookings, BA will never merge them in the way you want. This also means that you will have to collect luggage at LHR and then check it in again fir your second booking, BA will not allow baggage to be automatically transferred to the second booking.. So if you do go ahead leave plenty of time at LHR.

I believe the new 2-4-1 vouchers issued after Sep2021 allow you to start outside the UK but it still haS to be on BA metal.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 11:12 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by AJA_
While it is possible to do two separate bookings ie DUB-LHR and then LHR-SCL they will always remain separate bookings, BA will never merge them in the way you want. This also means that you will have to collect luggage at LHR and then check it in again fir your second booking, BA will not allow baggage to be automatically transferred to the second booking.. So if you do go ahead leave plenty of time at LHR.
I believe that, if the stopover at LHR is less than 24 hours, you can reclaim the APD but I don't think you can avoid paying it initially, though if both tickets are on BA that might be possible.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 1:37 pm

Programs: BA exec, KLM , Toon travel
Hi,

I am just trying to rebook my flights to NYC using a companion voucher and Avios (for the 3rd time, covid and life getting in the way)

When I originally booked in NCL-LHR-JFK I am sure it cost me 100,000 Avios + taxes etc, however, when I try and book it now it is costing 110,000 Avios + taxes.
Is this a recent change upwards in Avios cost?. I am guessing no way around this? I have enough Avios but my brother flying on his own Avios doesn't, just over 100,000

I can fly from LHR-JFK and just make my own way down from Newcastle so it's no big deal but just wondering.

Thanks

Simon
Old Jul 17, 2022, 3:12 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
NYC is 50k avios in J for off peak dates and 60k avios in J for peak dates. Is it possible you booked off peak dates out and back last time, and this time have a combination of off peak and peak?
Old Jul 17, 2022, 3:19 pm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by KARFA
NYC is 50k avios in J for off peak dates and 60k avios in J for peak dates. Is it possible you booked off peak dates out and back last time, and this time have a combination of off peak and peak?
Hmm never thought of that, I'll check and play around with dates

thanks
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 11:23 pm

Hi Karfa,

you are indeed correct, it was showing the LHR-NCL as off-peak but not the New York to Heathrow which I had missed

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.