Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2022, 10:55 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KARFA
I think there is an issue that some dates can appear as off peak with the tab at the top, but are actually peak. The HfP calendar suggests 24 September is a peak day so it does look like it is pricing correctly on that basis, albeit it is incorrectly showing off-peak on the date tab.

https://www.headforpoints.com/2021/0...us-and-iberia/
Well not just the date tab, but also the calendar! So, now we have to go to HfP for accurate information, instead of BA's own website!

Thanks for the reply.
KARFA, AJA_ and m8_rotate like this.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 11:49 am

No free change of award booking on AA flights

Update: Never mind, I found the news
https://simpleflying.com/british-air...th-confidence/

I have an incoming Avios booking on an American Airlines flight and want to change the date. I cannot do that online and made a call. The agent said I need to pay 55 dollars for the change or cancel the ticket (forfeiting the 5.6 tax) and rebook.
I thought we can have the free change, and he told me this was not true anymore because my flight is in November. Is this a new policy?
Many thanks for your help and advice.

Last edited by albertxue; Aug 31, 2022 at 12:02 pm
Old Aug 31, 2022, 12:25 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by albertxue
Update: Never mind, I found the news
https://simpleflying.com/british-air...th-confidence/

I have an incoming Avios booking on an American Airlines flight and want to change the date. I cannot do that online and made a call. The agent said I need to pay 55 dollars for the change or cancel the ticket (forfeiting the 5.6 tax) and rebook.
I thought we can have the free change, and he told me this was not true anymore because my flight is in November. Is this a new policy?
Many thanks for your help and advice.
BWC never applied to anything for travel beyond September 2022 so really the answer precedes the withdrawal of BWC for new bookings which was in that article of June 2022.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 2:13 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by headingwest
Well not just the date tab, but also the calendar! So, now we have to go to HfP for accurate information, instead of BA's own website!

Thanks for the reply.
To be honest, the information you get from this forum and some of the travel news websites is often more accurate and up to date than BA's website. It's nothing new!
headingwest likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 11:12 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Plat Pro
I booked a flight on Iberia metal with British Airways using British Airways Avios points. My seat is in premium economy because the 2 available business seats for Avios awards were taken by my wife and son. If additional business class seats become available for award purchases, will I be able to upgrade? The people at BA had no idea and told me to call Iberia. The people at Iberia had no idea and told me to see if I get an email offering an upgrade!

My question though is whether it is even possible to upgrade an Iberia metal flight booked with BA using BA Avios. If the answer is yes, it is possible, then do I need to deal with BA since they sold me the flight, or do I need to deal with Iberia. I am worried that the award ticket may be in a non-upgradeable category or something. Any help would be appreciated!
Old Sep 1, 2022, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by tommybananas
I booked a flight on Iberia metal with British Airways using British Airways Avios points. My seat is in premium economy because the 2 available business seats for Avios awards were taken by my wife and son. If additional business class seats become available for award purchases, will I be able to upgrade? The people at BA had no idea and told me to call Iberia. The people at Iberia had no idea and told me to see if I get an email offering an upgrade!

My question though is whether it is even possible to upgrade an Iberia metal flight booked with BA using BA Avios. If the answer is yes, it is possible, then do I need to deal with BA since they sold me the flight, or do I need to deal with Iberia. I am worried that the award ticket may be in a non-upgradeable category or something. Any help would be appreciated!
If additional Business Class award seats should open up, you can cancel (for a fee) your existing Premium Economy award seats, and then book the newly-available Business Class award seats. If you still have sufficient Avios in your account, the safer option would be to first book the Business Class seats, and then cancel the Premium Economy seats.

BAEC fees here:

https://www.britishairways.com/en-us...d-service-fees
Lefly likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 6:23 am

So the reason is that it is pricing the short haul flights at the highest avios and lowest cash rate rather than the normal band rate. I am not sure there is a way around it, or at least I don't think I have seen any positive results when challenging it. You can book the two flights as separate bookings but obviously that has implications for protection if you misconnect and potential extra taxes.
Has anyone found a way around this? I have the same issue, if i fly BER-LHR I can get that for 9750 Avios in Club Europe +30 Euro instead of 16250 Avios and 0.50 (peak), but if i tack on a US flight it's 76250 Avios (instead of 69750) and I cannot reduce this by just paying 30 Euros.

Can the call center book this differently? What if i use mixed classes (Y on the short haul). Or does it help if i book from a household account that hasn't earned any Avios in the last year?
Old Sep 5, 2022, 10:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
Posted this quite some time back, but didn't get a response .. can anyone help with partner award cancellation rules ? e-ticket receipt says nothing .. clicking on the online cancellation option in Manage My Booking brings up the request e-voucher page which I'm pretty sure won't work as it's not a BA flight ( though is a BA ticket ) and is outside Book With Confidence dates anyway

Originally Posted by EvilDoctorK
Potentially silly question but what's the cancellation policy on Avios bookings on partner (QF ) flights ? .. When I go through online I get directed to the Request a voucher form - but it's not a flight on BA, and it's after 30th September so pretty sure this is wrong ?

Booking in Question is QF SYD-PER o/w 4 pax .. 52,000 Avios + £95 was the payment originally made ... I believe the £95 would be forfeited but I could get the Avios back ?
Old Sep 5, 2022, 10:28 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posted this quite some time back, but didn't get a response .. can anyone help with partner award cancellation rules ? e-ticket receipt says nothing .. clicking on the online cancellation option in Manage My Booking brings up the request e-voucher page which I'm pretty sure won't work as it's not a BA flight ( though is a BA ticket ) and is outside Book With Confidence dates anyway
if it is within scope for BWC then you can apply for a FTV - however BA aren’t really issuing FTVs for reward flights anymore so they would just refund everything..

If it’s not within scope for BWC then it’s just standard reward booking rules, so voluntary cancellation would refund everything minus a £35/$55 per person cancellation fee from the cash you paid. For a voluntary cancellation you will have to call to request it - you can’t do it on the website unfortunately.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 10:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
if it is within scope for BWC then you can apply for a FTV - however BA aren’t really issuing FTVs for reward flights anymore so they would just refund everything..

If it’s not within scope for BWC then it’s just standard reward booking rules, so voluntary cancellation would refund everything minus a £35/$55 per person cancellation fee from the cash you paid. For a voluntary cancellation you will have to call to request it - you can’t do it on the website unfortunately.
Thanks .. I don't believe it will be within BWC scope - travel is in December 2022 and it was booked after 7th June 2022 when BWC ended .. When I press 'cancel' on the booking it brings up the usual 'request a voucher' BWC page .. but I guess filling that in won't result in a voucher and it's an error .. guess I wouldn't have much to lose with trying , worst that can happen is it does nothing and will need to call up and do the manual cancellation and forfeit the cash element ( as the cash element is less than £35/head it would be all forfeit but should get all the Avios back I believe )
KARFA likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 1:55 pm

Programs: TK Elite, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver
Thanks .. I don't believe it will be within BWC scope - travel is in December 2022 and it was booked after 7th June 2022 when BWC ended .. When I press 'cancel' on the booking it brings up the usual 'request a voucher' BWC page .. but I guess filling that in won't result in a voucher and it's an error .. guess I wouldn't have much to lose with trying , worst that can happen is it does nothing and will need to call up and do the manual cancellation and forfeit the cash element ( as the cash element is less than £35/head it would be all forfeit but should get all the Avios back I believe )
Last week, I mistakenly cancelled my booking for October 18 with QF on the BA website, where I was supposed to get a voucher after the cancellation process. I immediately called Exec Club and was told that since the flight date is in October, I would not get a voucher and that everything on my booking remains the same. A few minutes later, I also got an email confirmation that no voucher would be issued as my travel was in October.

Today, I called Exec Club to cancel the flight I really wanted to cancel (flight in November with QR). I was told I had to pay £35 so I would only be getting back around 600 SEK and that it would be on my card after a few days. The avios was refunded after a couple of hours.
EvilDoctorK likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 8:01 pm

I had an interesting situation last week… was looking at booking a partner award to Seoul, but S.Korea at that time still required a pre-departure test within 24 hours.

It occurred to me - what happened if I tested positive and couldn’t take the flight?

Because cancellation would then be within 24 hours of departure, would you lose everything - all taxes AND Avios?!
Old Sep 6, 2022, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by thefilipinotraveler
Last week, I mistakenly cancelled my booking for October 18 with QF on the BA website, where I was supposed to get a voucher after the cancellation process. I immediately called Exec Club and was told that since the flight date is in October, I would not get a voucher and that everything on my booking remains the same. A few minutes later, I also got an email confirmation that no voucher would be issued as my travel was in October.

Today, I called Exec Club to cancel the flight I really wanted to cancel (flight in November with QR). I was told I had to pay £35 so I would only be getting back around 600 SEK and that it would be on my card after a few days. The avios was refunded after a couple of hours.
Thanks.. I'll report back here with my experience anyway if I do cancel .. plans are in a bit of flux at the moment still .. was trying to go to Tasmania for Xmas ( and then on to Perth so ditching the SYD-PER flight would likely make sense to avoid backtracking ) .. however on doing a bit more research the price of car hire in Tasmania at Xmas is absolutely insane, accommodation is a bit of a struggle in nicer places and many of the good restaurants etc take holidays .. so not sure it will be the best idea .. perhaps back to the drawing board and perhaps will not need to cancel ! ... If anyone has any other suggestions for nice places in Oz for Xmas week please chip in (other than the big cities which we've mostly done before )
Old Sep 6, 2022, 9:52 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by thefilipinotraveler

I tried to cancel an Avios flight on BA's website a few days ago. It only offered a page to request a voucher for a fee waiver, nothing else really to just ask to cancel. I filled it out and got an email the next day denying my voucher which I didn't even expect, but I thought the cancellation would process...nope. I called and the agent was fantastic, helped cancel and indicated that you have to call them to cancel these days (and pay). So BA apparently has no simple Avios flight cancellation option online, but they do have terrific people on the phones which is really a nice change of pace!
Old Sep 11, 2022, 11:42 am

Programs: BA & Flying Club
Another question if I may? I want to book Las Vegas for specific dates next September for my wife’s 40th birthday. Club class and using my companion voucher. Can I book the outbound journey as soon as the date is released and then book the return leg a week later when that date is released? Does it use half a voucher on each booking?

I tried to do a dummy booking for next July when I’d check there was availability - the outbound journey was allowable but the inbound wouldn’t allow it as it said must be from the U.K. so I’m guessing that means from the start of the journey. Just wondered if it would link the outbound booking and then be possible?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.