Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2022, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by SandLake

I followed this link which did indeed take me to flights for 175000 miles - assuming that they were MileSAAver rates!
You can find the AAdvantage redemption rates (including MileSAAver rates) for travel on AA metal here:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...ward-chart.jsp

Redemption rates for travel on oneworld and other partner carriers can be found here:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...ward-chart.jsp
Old Aug 25, 2022, 12:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Poised to make my first Avios flight booking but would be most grateful for some guidance or a double check on if it is worth it or if there are alternatives I've not considered.

I'm BA Gold with 235k Avios, no vouchers, already based Ex-Eu at Dusseldorf and am looking to travel to the U.S. in mid to late Feb 2023. Headed to Vegas for a friends wedding taking place on Tues 22nd Feb and looking to be headed back on the Friday 24th eventually headed back to Dus on Sat 25th on BA0932. As it is long haul/a treat and I've got a busted knee that won't survive a flight like that in Y, J and F would be the minimum I'm looking for. F would be the goal.

I'm flexible on the outbound leg, so have been looking at various cities and various dates 16th Feb or so onwards to get the best experience in redeeming the miles. Vegas is not big on my must see places so two to three days there is fine for me and as I anticipated there is no reward availability at the dates I'm looking at.

I really want to fly on the A380, never had the opportunity as yet so have been kind of centering around that. Yet to go on the 777 or 787 either but have been on the A350 in CW which was great but again trying to get something new with this trip. Likewise I've been to a good number of cities over there, always gone direct, so wanted to see somewhere new. LA I've been to but realise it could be a convenient way to route.

Have been looking at ORD, BOS, IAD , even DFW or PHI for F. ATL seems too much for the options it brings up in any class, SFO would be a great option but the best I'm seeing for that is 156k & 614GBP however that is Business and from what I read, that is not stellar on the A380 because of the current configuration having to climb over or around people. There are a range of Business and First options for most major cities from 154k - 201k and prices from 608-956 GBP.

The option that has caught my eye is DUS-ORD (16-24 Feb) for 167k + 614GBP , in first both ways and on the A380, long weekend in Chicago (never been and have friends in the area) in and out of Vegas seems easy enough too. It's Off Peak for a reason right, at that time and temperature.

Obviously with the cancellation situation I'm somewhat hesitant to push the button on this but I need to make a move sometime soon. Any recommendations regarding planes, classes and the products onboard, the connecting US airlines or airports to travel into/transit through or avoid are gratefully received. Is it worth giving the Gold Line a call to see if they have eyes on anything better?

Burning the Avios for the above kind of price seems ok to me versus a cash purchase for the same flights, this is what Avios are made for right?
Old Aug 25, 2022, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Rex Kramer
Poised to make my first Avios flight booking but would be most grateful for some guidance or a double check on if it is worth it or if there are alternatives I've not considered.

I'm BA Gold with 235k Avios, no vouchers, already based Ex-Eu at Dusseldorf and am looking to travel to the U.S. in mid to late Feb 2023. Headed to Vegas for a friends wedding taking place on Tues 22nd Feb and looking to be headed back on the Friday 24th eventually headed back to Dus on Sat 25th on BA0932. As it is long haul/a treat and I've got a busted knee that won't survive a flight like that in Y, J and F would be the minimum I'm looking for. F would be the goal.

I'm flexible on the outbound leg, so have been looking at various cities and various dates 16th Feb or so onwards to get the best experience in redeeming the miles. Vegas is not big on my must see places so two to three days there is fine for me and as I anticipated there is no reward availability at the dates I'm looking at.

I really want to fly on the A380, never had the opportunity as yet so have been kind of centering around that. Yet to go on the 777 or 787 either but have been on the A350 in CW which was great but again trying to get something new with this trip. Likewise I've been to a good number of cities over there, always gone direct, so wanted to see somewhere new. LA I've been to but realise it could be a convenient way to route.

Have been looking at ORD, BOS, IAD , even DFW or PHI for F. ATL seems too much for the options it brings up in any class, SFO would be a great option but the best I'm seeing for that is 156k & 614GBP however that is Business and from what I read, that is not stellar on the A380 because of the current configuration having to climb over or around people. There are a range of Business and First options for most major cities from 154k - 201k and prices from 608-956 GBP.

The option that has caught my eye is DUS-ORD (16-24 Feb) for 167k + 614GBP , in first both ways and on the A380, long weekend in Chicago (never been and have friends in the area) in and out of Vegas seems easy enough too. It's Off Peak for a reason right, at that time and temperature.

Obviously with the cancellation situation I'm somewhat hesitant to push the button on this but I need to make a move sometime soon. Any recommendations regarding planes, classes and the products onboard, the connecting US airlines or airports to travel into/transit through or avoid are gratefully received. Is it worth giving the Gold Line a call to see if they have eyes on anything better?

Burning the Avios for the above kind of price seems ok to me versus a cash purchase for the same flights, this is what Avios are made for right?
Right now, there are some pretty good Business Class roundtrip fares available to ORD from some other European cities (~ €1,400). Examples are Aer Lingus from BUD, and TAP from BCN/MAD.

Not sure if you would prefer to just pay cash at these prices.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 11:13 pm

Great info

Really comprehensive--thanks!
Old Aug 26, 2022, 8:22 am

Iberia BA tax discrepancy

Trying to book LON-MAD-MVD one-way with Avios; economy to Madrid to save Avios and taxes, and business to Montevideo to save sanity. On Iberia website, priced at 62,250 Avios + £310. Mixed class booking not possible on BA.com so called Gold rewqrds. BA cost is 57,000 Avios + £734. That seems to mean it's charging business class tax even though ex-UK flight is economy. Am I right? (Reason for wanting to book with BA is I'm BA Gold but IB Clasic.)

Thanks in advance
Old Aug 26, 2022, 12:25 pm

Hello and sorry if this was asked and answered before…
i have a flight from LHR to DFW in J, BA ticket but operated by AA… would it be possible to upgrade with Avios? I have read that they allow Avios vouchers since May 22 for such constellations but not sure about normal Avios upgrades. Does anyone know or has done it?

thanks in advance
Old Aug 28, 2022, 4:58 am

Use two types of companion voucher on same booking

Hi, I would like to travel with 3 other family members including 2 children to New York. I have 1 x BA American Express Companion Voucher and 1 x BA American Express Premium Plus Companion Voucher. Can I use both on the same booking to gain maximum benefit?

looking at the BA booking website it looks like I can only use one of each type on a single booking which presumably means I can’t use both vouchers on this trip as I as the voucher holder would have to travel on both bookings?

many thanks for any advice
Old Aug 28, 2022, 7:26 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Originally Posted by oddgrain74
Hi, I would like to travel with 3 other family members including 2 children to New York. I have 1 x BA American Express Companion Voucher and 1 x BA American Express Premium Plus Companion Voucher. Can I use both on the same booking to gain maximum benefit?

looking at the BA booking website it looks like I can only use one of each type on a single booking which presumably means I can’t use both vouchers on this trip as I as the voucher holder would have to travel on both bookings?

many thanks for any advice
correct, unfortunately this is one consequence of the changes made in Sep2021. The old and newer style companion vouchers cannot be used together to book 4 seats at the same time.

And you can't do two separate bookings at the same time as you as the voucher holder need to be on each booking which is not possible
oddgrain74 likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 4:19 pm

Programs: AP AS BA
Availability of QR J seats?

Anyone have any luck lately booking J seats on QR with BA Avios? All I can see are Y seats. (Besides transferring to QR Avios)
Old Aug 30, 2022, 12:01 am

Programs: BA Gold
With Expertflyer's avios search still being broken I recently subbed to Seatspy looking for summer 2023 inspiration. However I'm struggling to figure how many seats are on which flight. I can see, eg Lon - X has 6 in Econ on a day but can't tell if that's all on one flight or if it's split between airports or flights. (it's a destination BA serve from both LGW and LHR).
I may be doing something really stupid because when I go on BA's own search where it appears there should be enough seats for my group I keep being shown the additional gold rewards seats and the whole group is priced accordingly? The avois to cash is marginal as it is and I don't want to spend double Avois for no reason.
Any thoughts.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 1:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Petroleum
Haven't seen this posted elsewhere, apologies if it has.

Partnership with Laithwaites will end on Sept 30th, you can order wines via BA paying with Avios, and earn via Laithwaites/Wine Flyer only until that date.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...rmination-faqs

Important information about our partnership with Laithwaites Wine

The partnership between British Airways and Laithwaites Wine is ending on 30 September 2022. After this date you'll no longer be able to collect or spend your Avios when ordering through The Wine Flyer in association with Laithwaites Wine.
Fans of thin Bulgarian ditchwater will be immensely disappointed, you'll have to fly World Traveller for that experience instead.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 10:19 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Can someone please explain to me why there is an Avios price difference between the following 2 off-peak dates? Am I missing something, does BA now have dynamic pricing?

Old Aug 31, 2022, 10:31 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
The top one isn't showing as off peak? So is that the peak pricing?
Old Aug 31, 2022, 10:36 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KARFA
The top one isn't showing as off peak? So is that the peak pricing?
Well it's odd, because the date tab is showing off-peak, and the calendar does too. Maybe I am missing something!

Old Aug 31, 2022, 10:51 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I think there is an issue that some dates can appear as off peak with the tab at the top, but are actually peak. The HfP calendar suggests 24 September is a peak day so it does look like it is pricing correctly on that basis, albeit it is incorrectly showing off-peak on the date tab.

https://www.headforpoints.com/2021/0...us-and-iberia/
alex67500 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.