Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition

Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition

Old Apr 2, 2024, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by Shingi
Good morning, I am away from home in the UK in South Africa. I booked two redemption flights yesterday which went through fine. For the first time ever I have just received an email from BA advising me of activity on my account. Sorry if I am being naive but I take it this is a security measure?
Thank you
Yes this is normal, especially if using a HHA.
Shingi likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 6:10 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by flashware
Yes this is normal, especially if using a HHA.
Yes, it was a HHA. Thank you.
Old May 12, 2024, 5:45 am

Programs: AB BA Waterloo Mama Mia
apologize for being lazy...a redemption costs x avios + $4 per ticket..if I book and cancel what will it cost me to cancel? Avios re deposited but monetary cost? Any benefit for being Gold when cancelling?
Old May 12, 2024, 5:48 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by testycal
apologize for being lazy...a redemption costs x avios + $4 per ticket..if I book and cancel what will it cost me to cancel? Avios re deposited but monetary cost? Any benefit for being Gold when cancelling?
you will just lose the $4 and get everything else back as long as you cancel more than 24 hours before your flight.
testycal likes this.
Old May 12, 2024, 6:47 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by testycal
Avios redemptions are refundable until 24 hours before the scheduled departure time of the first flight in the booking. There's a 35/$50 fee per passenger (except in the first 24 hours after making the booking), which is waived for GGLs but not for Golds. If you paid less than this, you just forfeit the amount paid - the full Avios are still refunded.
​​​​​​
testycal likes this.
Old May 31, 2024, 9:31 am

Changing or Upgrading an Avios booking

I have an Avios booking in Economy and now there is availability in Club. I have thousands of Avios so might as well use them.

Is the best option to cancel the Economy booking (for 50p) and just make a new booking in Club? Can do all this online.

Or does it work out cheaper to upgrade? Downside is I would need to call up because it can't be done online. So depending how much I would save (either Avios or cash), would decide it that's worth my time and sanity (only have access to the standard Blue line which quite often doesn't even have the capacity to hold and immediately reject your call)
Old Jun 1, 2024, 9:12 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Re: transferring Avios; I understand there used to be a per-person/account cap for this, but the wording BA are using is 'up to 60,000 in one go'.

A 200,000 per year cap remains, but does this wording mean you can transfer over 60,000 Avios to the same person/account now, albeit subject to a 50 fee each time?

A relative has just flagged their not insignificant amount of Avios accrued over many years, and with my companion voucher I thought it offers us some options if they're able to transfer the bulk over to me.
Old Jun 1, 2024, 11:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / SQ *A Gold / Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by CJ91
I have an Avios booking in Economy and now there is availability in Club. I have thousands of Avios so might as well use them.

Is the best option to cancel the Economy booking (for 50p) and just make a new booking in Club? Can do all this online.

Or does it work out cheaper to upgrade? Downside is I would need to call up because it can't be done online. So depending how much I would save (either Avios or cash), would decide it that's worth my time and sanity (only have access to the standard Blue line which quite often doesn't even have the capacity to hold and immediately reject your call)
Go into mmb and see what it's offering as a refund..hold fire then book the business seat and get your confirmation. Then go ahead and cancel your original booking.
Old Jun 1, 2024, 2:30 pm

Sorry, really struggle with spending avios. All the flights I'm seeing from PHL to SFO are about 23K- 27k avios one way. There are actually multiple flights available each day with lots of availability. Is this normal pricing now?
Old Jun 1, 2024, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by zeppoloveskafka
Sorry, really struggle with spending avios. All the flights I'm seeing from PHL to SFO are about 23K- 27k avios one way. There are actually multiple flights available each day with lots of availability. Is this normal pricing now?
Are these nonstops or connections?
Old Jun 1, 2024, 2:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / SQ *A Gold / Marriott Titanium
Misread..sorry
Old Jun 1, 2024, 2:47 pm

Both nonstop and connections. Multiple dates. I've got like 500K in avios because I can never spend them in the USA at a reasonable rate. I don't know others do. Are people finding cross continental for under 20K?
Old Jun 1, 2024, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Both nonstop and connections. Multiple dates. I've got like 500K in avios because I can never spend them in the USA at a reasonable rate. I don't know others do. Are people finding cross continental for under 20K?
Because BAEC charges extra for connections, it's not ideal to use BAEC Avios for connecting-flight itineraries. However, Finnair Plus does not charge extra for connections on AA redemptions, and BAEC Avios can now be transferred to Finnair Plus. According to the Finnair Plus award chart for AA, trans-continental redemptions in Economy should cost just 11,000 Finnair Plus Avios.

Caveat: AA redemptions on Finnair Plus require a phone call, and recent reports indicate that some Finnair agents are not yet up to speed on processing such redemptions. It's also possible that the $25 phone-booking fee would not be waived, but that's a small price to pay for the substantial Avios savings.
LCSinTexas and flarmip like this.
Old Jun 1, 2024, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Are these nonstops or connections?
Originally Posted by guv1976
Because BAEC charges extra for connections, it's not ideal to use BAEC Avios for connecting-flight itineraries. However, Finnair Plus does not charge extra for connections on AA redemptions, and BAEC Avios can now be transferred to Finnair Plus. According to the Finnair Plus award chart for AA, trans-continental redemptions in Economy should cost just 11,000 Finnair Plus Avios.

Caveat: AA redemptions on Finnair Plus require a phone call, and recent reports indicate that some Finnair agents are not yet up to speed on processing such redemptions. It's also possible that the $25 phone-booking fee would not be waived, but that's a small price to pay for the substantial Avios savings.
Thanks. I'll look into. But the flights that are directly from PHL to SFO were no cheaper than the ones with layovers.
Old Jun 1, 2024, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. I'll look into. But the flights that are directly from PHL to SFO were no cheaper than the ones with layovers.
They should have been. Can you post screenshots?

Edited to add:

Nonstop here:

Connection via Charlotte here:

The price of a connection can vary, depending on the length of each individual segment.

Last edited by guv1976; Jun 1, 2024 at 4:56 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.