Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2022, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by eltoddo22
I was shocked to find BA Avios wants 10,000 points now to go CTS-ITM one way. I used to book this for 4,500 points pre devaluation pre covid. This route should only be 646 miles distance and fall into band 1. I'm not sure how it is calculating at 10,000 miles because it according to chart even "Band 2" should be only 9,000 and this route should fall into "Band 1". BA Avios used to be so good for short-haul Oneworld flights... a bit disappointed... I guess it was good while it lasted. =(((
Some possibilities:
Did you click through and see the other pricing options?

Have you earned at least 1 avios in the last year?
Old Jun 4, 2022, 5:48 pm

Was looking at some redemptions for next year with JAL. Am I missing something with the math? Sorry if a silly question - first time redeeming with Avios.

Avios per person 154500
Price per person $ 0.00
Taxes, fees and carrier charges* per person $ 924.51

Under the "breakdown" of the taxes/fees/carrier surcharges, it shows:

Passenger Service Facilities Charge (Int'L) - Japan CAD 20.70

International Tourist Tax - Japan CAD 9.70

Airport Improvement Fee - Canada CAD 25.00

Air Travellers Security Charge - Canada CAD 25.91

Passenger Securities Service Charge - Japan CAD 5.20

Total government, authority and airport charges CAD 86.51

British Airways fees and carrier charges: Total taxes, fees, and carrier charges (per adult) CAD 86.51

Math is not my strongest subject, but I'm pretty sure that does not add up to $924.51.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Denguin
Math is not my strongest subject, but I'm pretty sure that does not add up to $924.51.
It looks like there also is (or should be) a carrier charge/surcharge of CAD 838.00 that's not in the list. You don't say what your airline, routing or cabin are, but I chose YVR-NRT-YVR on JL at random and got almost all of those numbers using ITA to price an economy round-trip, including the CAD 838.00 surcharge. The only other difference between the ITA list and the list you've posted is that there's a Canadian GST of CAD 1.25 on the airport improvement fee - it's possible that GST is not chargeable on an award ticket.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
It looks like there also is (or should be) a carrier charge/surcharge of CAD 838.00 that's not in the list. You don't say what your airline, routing or cabin are, but I chose YVR-NRT-YVR on JL at random and got almost all of those numbers using ITA to price an economy round-trip, including the CAD 838.00 surcharge. The only other difference between the ITA list and the list you've posted is that there's a Canadian GST of CAD 1.25 on the airport improvement fee - it's possible that GST is not chargeable on an award ticket.
Ah, thanks. Guess it's just a display glitch where the carrier surcharge is just not showing on the breakdown of the charges. You're correct, ticket would be on JL, J cabin, YVR-NRT, RT.

Has JL always had such a hefty surcharge? I swear I priced out a similar trip not a few months ago, and the taxes/fees were in the ~$150 range.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 2:50 am

Programs: Skyteam Gold - Hilton Diamond - Marriott Platinum - Hyatt Globalist
Flying Qatar on a cash ticket Where to credit?

Flying Qatar HKT-DOH-PHL on a cash ticket Where should I credit for the most milage?
Old Jun 6, 2022, 3:46 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Sxiebrit
Flying Qatar HKT-DOH-PHL on a cash ticket Where should I credit for the most milage?
does this help? https://www.wheretocredit.com/
PETER01 likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 4:42 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Do GU1/2 vouchers need to be used on flights that depart before the voucher expires or can they be used for flights after the expiry date?

BA.com doesn’t state either way.

Thanks
Old Jun 7, 2022, 4:45 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MaxFlyer
Do GU1/2 vouchers need to be used on flights that depart before the voucher expires or can they be used for flights after the expiry date?

BA.com doesn’t state either way.

Thanks
You need to use them by the expiry date, but some or even all of the flights on the booking can be after the expiry date.
MaxFlyer likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 7:50 am

Please excuse if this has been asked before:

If I want to use my avios on hotels, the ony way i seem to access this, is on the BA homepage, hover over "book" then the dropdown shows "book a flight with avios" - click that, then once through to that page, on the left side there is a option dropdown "spending avios" then in the dropdown there is an option "hotels" . So basically no straight option to spend on hotels - only have to go through spending on flights, then change to hotels, as i outlined above.

Is this the only way - a roundabout way?
Old Jun 8, 2022, 11:08 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by momoflyingguy
Please excuse if this has been asked before:

If I want to use my avios on hotels, the ony way i seem to access this, is on the BA homepage, hover over "book" then the dropdown shows "book a flight with avios" - click that, then once through to that page, on the left side there is a option dropdown "spending avios" then in the dropdown there is an option "hotels" . So basically no straight option to spend on hotels - only have to go through spending on flights, then change to hotels, as i outlined above.

Is this the only way - a roundabout way?
If you log into your account and click on

Discover and in the Executive Club section you should see Spending Avios
then on the drop down menu you should see
Hotel Stays

Put in your location with dates etc and it'll come up with a selection. I just did a dummy booking for Heathrow for example and the amount of Avios required. So, you should hopefully see the same for your desired destination, assuming there's availability.
momoflyingguy likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 6:49 am

Programs: AP AS BA
To each their own but is redeeming Avíos for hotels generally of good value? I know that in other programs it's not but the high amount of YQ BA charges might change the calculus?
Old Jun 9, 2022, 7:21 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Originally Posted by fbrdky
To each their own but is redeeming Avíos for hotels generally of good value? I know that in other programs it's not but the high amount of YQ BA charges might change the calculus?
Personally I wouldn't use Avios in this way but if you've got a lot of Avios I suppose it could work. The biggest issue, aside from the cost, is the inflexibility of using Avios to book hotels. It's not like airfares which can be cancelled 24 hours before. Besides you also lose out earning reward points in most chains.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 4:17 am

I'm looking for some help on the following; we are keen to travel to Florida in September, and our dates are pretty fixed due to a house swap with friends (5/6 Sep for 14 nights). The trip has been cancelled three times due to various covid/house related issues, so we are really keen to return to the US! Annoying I cancelled perfect avios flights from EDI-LHR-MIA a while back when we thought we couldn't go, so I am now looking at reduced options. I suffer from a bad back so the main flight needs to be in CW; we have 200k avios and a FTV for £1800 2x travelling, although we are happy to add to that.

We are staying in Naples, but there aren't any avios flights both ways (Miami/Tampa) so my plan was to buy a 2 x single premium from (EDI-LHR to JFK then upgrade with avios, and get a domestic flight to either Fort Myers or Miami from JFK, and then look at different avios availability for the trip back from other US cities.

Just really looking for a sense check, and other options.

Thanks.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 1:06 pm

Programs: BA, Hilton Honors
I've been looking at LHR - BOS 241 in CW tickets and when I compare BA's carrier charges with a booking I made for the same routing in January 2022, the cost has increased by £150 (37.5%). Has anyone else noticed that?
Old Jun 11, 2022, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by KARFA
Since March 2020 you have been unable to do voluntary cancellations online, and that includes those within the cooling off period. You have to call.

I think there was a period which started in 2019 and running up to covid when you could cancel online within the cooling off period and you got a full refund. Prior to that it was call only.
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Anything you pay in excess of the cancellation/redeposit fee will be refunded. If the taxes, fees, and surcharges are less than the redeposit fee you only forfeit the amount you paid; no attempt is made by BAEC to recover the entire redeposit fee.
Is this policy still the same (for Oct 2022)? if I book an award flight on BA and voluntarily cancel, I'll get a refund of Avios + amount paid, minus a 55GBP fee? (is the fee still 55GBP?) And to get it all back, I'll need to call?

btw, what happens if I booked 2 tickets together but only want to voluntarily cancel one? Same as above?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.