Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2022, 12:00 pm

I'm seeing a lot of Royal Air Maroc award availability in Business on American's search engine. I seem to remember RAM awards showing up on BA's system when I was searching months ago, but for the past week that I've been searching, nothing on RAM metal is showing. Is it common for partner availability to disappear completely at times? And before I call in to try to book, I'd like to know the estimated taxes and fees. American is showing less than $100, would BA be similar or is there a chance for high fees on IAD-CMN-IAD?
Old Apr 1, 2022, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Flamenguista
And before I call in to try to book, I'd like to know the estimated taxes and fees. American is showing less than $100, would BA be similar or is there a chance for high fees on IAD-CMN-IAD?
AA does not collect carrier surcharges for award travel on any of its partners except BA and IB. So there is the potential for high surcharges when redeeming BA Avios on AT, if AT has high carrier surcharges on its published cash fares.
Flamenguista likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 3:07 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
I used Avios to book a JL flight, however, when I try to select my seats, I cannot find my reservation on the JL website. Has anyone run into this issue before / know how to solve it?
Old Apr 4, 2022, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by northeastflyer
Hi. I may well be going loop the loop here, but is there any reason that I can't reduce a fare with Avios up to my household balance? I've tried a few times today on the mobile app and mobile ba.com and they're only allowing me to use up to my own balance? I'm sure I've done it before, or maybe not!
Since posting this it seems that I can use the household Avios on standard ba.com via laptop and PC etc, but not on the app, where it only allows your own Avios to be used, even though the household balance is visible.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 9:29 am

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
I searched, but did not find the answer - in another thread, a poster referenced an "Avios release date". Is there a pattern in which avios seats are released? I do notice that sometimes I hit the "jackpot" when it comes to booking award flights, but I don't recognize a pattern. FT'ers always know....
Old Apr 11, 2022, 12:24 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by QT31415
I searched, but did not find the answer - in another thread, a poster referenced an "Avios release date". Is there a pattern in which avios seats are released? I do notice that sometimes I hit the "jackpot" when it comes to booking award flights, but I don't recognize a pattern. FT'ers always know....
A set amount of Avios seats in various cabins are released at 355 days and once they're snapped up then there's really no set pattern, indeed if any more are released at all.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...reward-flights

It's just worth checking very regularly and you can also set up an alert on Expertflyer.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 2:29 am

Hi all

Can anyone confirm that amending a reward flight booked before the tax hike earlier this year would lead to a residual cost to make up the difference?

MMB suggests that’s the case but I’m wishfully hoping that if I were to somehow get through on the phone that may not be the case!
Old Apr 13, 2022, 2:35 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by iamfrequentlyatflyertalk
Hi all

Can anyone confirm that amending a reward flight booked before the tax hike earlier this year would lead to a residual cost to make up the difference?

MMB suggests that’s the case but I’m wishfully hoping that if I were to somehow get through on the phone that may not be the case!
Yes that is the case. When you change a reward booking the taxes/fees/charges will be recalculated for the whole booking, and if there has been an increase since you booked you will have to pay any difference between your booked TFC and today's TFC.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 10:38 am

Programs: AP AS BA
Originally Posted by iamfrequentlyatflyertalk
Hi all

There is no new taxes and fees if your change is involuntary. I had an Avios redemption (USA-NRT-ITM) but my USA-NRT flight was cancelled. The computer booked me for the next day but didn't catch the misconnection. So I called and they changed me for free to USA-NRT (overnight transit) HND-ITM. Not ideal but I didn't have to pay more money or points.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 9:42 am

Programs: BA Silver, Icelandair, IHG Diamond Elite Ambassador, Hertz 5*
With the new service from PDX to LHR starting in June, I managed to redeem two 2-4-1 for 4 passengers in J from PDX-LHR-NCE for Christmas - unfortunately, I left it a little too late and there wasn’t a lot of availability for our preferred dates. This week, I received an email from BA stating our flight on Dec. 20th had been cancelled and we had been rebooked for the 21st arriving in Nice late on the 22nd. Looking at the BA website, I tried to see if there were any earlier options in the week, but in the end called due to error messages. As luck would have it, we were re-booked on the 18th which was the original date we wanted to fly in the first place! My fear with an AVIOS booking is that we were ‘locked-in’ to redemption availability , but in this case it worked out in our favor.

Last edited by Skyline; Apr 17, 2022 at 4:21 pm
Old Apr 22, 2022, 3:34 pm

Programs: Lotz
Just realized that at 1.2 cents per mile, Cash+Avios is a good deal.

Had to cancel one flight and it was a PITA getting miles redeposited. They wanted to give me an "Avios voucher". .... BA has an awful Twitter help crew.

When the page asking to confirm you want to cancel for a voucher comes up don't check the box just hit continue. I did that the 2nd time and got an Avios refund (in 2 weeks).

Last edited by tassojunior; May 7, 2022 at 7:06 am
Old May 3, 2022, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Is it possible to book award flights on LATAM Airlines using British Airways Avios via British Airways reservations from the USA?

The website apparently does not have that capability. I’ve called BA from the USA and heard a recording stating that (for nonsensical reasons) “our phone lines will be closed for the next few weeks”. Is that correct? If it is possible to book LATAM flights via BA, how is it done?

Thank you.
Old May 4, 2022, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
Is it possible to book award flights on LATAM Airlines using British Airways Avios via British Airways reservations from the USA?

The website apparently does not have that capability. I’ve called BA from the USA and heard a recording stating that (for nonsensical reasons) “our phone lines will be closed for the next few weeks”. Is that correct? If it is possible to book LATAM flights via BA, how is it done?

Thank you.
I believe you have to call to book LATAM.
See this thread:
LATAM Award flights no longer bookable with Avios?
As for calling, from the US, I usually try to call after 7pm UK time.
Dr Jabadski likes this.
Old May 6, 2022, 12:23 pm

I have 44k in one account with no activity in the past 12 months. They do not have a way to generate activity in time for a rewards flight saver I want to book. I have no avios in my account. If I make a household account with that account and me, and transfer 1k points into my account, would I be able to get reward flight saver? as well, it's clear whether using baec avios on iberia qualifies for reward flight saver? for lhr-mad in j it's $70.20 USD. How much would it be on RFS?

Last edited by yerffej201; May 6, 2022 at 12:41 pm
Old May 6, 2022, 9:21 pm

Programs: Lotz
anyone else noticing many fewer flights available on American than previously? For my routes seems 1/10th as many.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.