Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition

Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition

Old Nov 7, 2023, 7:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Centurion
Originally Posted by KARFA
If this is a cash ticket made with BA then a UuA of the BA flights (assuming they are ba operated and coded) should be fine subject to F availability. The online tool won’t work but it should be fine if you call. The presence of EI flights shouldn’t be a barrier - you aren’t looking to touch those.
Yes, that worked. It only took another 2 phone calls, the second of which took 30 minutes, but they were able to do it for me. It's never as easy as it should be.

Thanks!
KARFA likes this.

Last edited by the_outcast; Nov 8, 2023 at 5:57 am
Old Nov 8, 2023, 5:09 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Originally Posted by Tofino87
I have a situation Ive not experienced before - two remaining legs of a multi partner award ticket, which originated from Tokyo Haneda, has gone around the world, and is due to finish with Heathrow - San Francisco - Haneda

SFO-HND is booked in F on JAL, whove just pulled availability and switched from a 773 to 787 on this route - same for LAX nearby.

I would expect it to change back once the schedules are finalised, with F being available again. However, Im wondering what my options are if it doesnt.

Im assuming in the event of First class not being reinstated on the route by the time Im due to fly that BA would basically say youre being downgraded to J and theres nothing we can do about it, because its on a partner airline.

However, even though the ticket hasnt begun and isnt ending in the UK, it will have passed through London with a LONG stopover - so would aspects UK261 give some protection, in terms of either involuntary cabin downgrade compensation (in the form of avios), or by offering me a re-routing on another airline, even if there is no reward space available for my dates - given its an award ticket?

If so, Im guessing in place of SFO-HND they could suggest a domestic connection and then LAX-HND in F on JL on a direct service (which is due to be back by the time I fly), but likely they wouldnt stretch to non-alliance partners like Singapore airlines LAX-NRT in F, or even Something like LAX-HKG-HND all in F on CX - just really trying to ascertain if there are any options apart from sitting in J (which isnt a chore by any stretch of course), and I do not mind a detour. TIA
On a basic level the affected flight(s) are not on an EU/UK airline or a non-EU/UK airline departing the EU or the UK and are not inside the UK or Europe so they fall outside the scope of EC261.

However if it is on one PNR on a trip that started in the UK or EU then there may be a case to be made but it is a slim case. The trouble is that your trip isnt starting or ending in London so i think you'll be out of luck trying to invoke any EC261 rights. EC261 right only apply to the flights arriving in the UK/EU if they are on an EU/UK airline or departing the EU/UK on any airline.

I think you can only rely on the goodwill of JAL to put you on another flight operating First.
Old Nov 8, 2023, 12:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat
If I have a multi-partner award, can I add or change segments even if there is no award availability for a segment that isn't changing? Specially - we will book NAN-LAX-PHL with the first segment on Fiji and the 2nd on AA. If we wanted to change the 2nd segment to be LAX-JFK at some point, would that work even if there is no availability on NAN-LAX? Thanks.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 2:48 pm

Looking to book YYZ-LAS (AA) with Avios. When I search the trip as YYZ-LAS, I do not see any seats. However, when I individually search YYZ-DFW-LAS, I see availability for both legs (two different options for the latter flight as well). Quick google flights search shows that for cash fares, they sell these flights as one itinerary.

If I book these legs separately, do I run any risks? The two options are 1 hour and 2 hour layover. Thank you!
Old Nov 9, 2023, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by vanilarice89
Looking to book YYZ-LAS (AA) with Avios. When I search the trip as YYZ-LAS, I do not see any seats. However, when I individually search YYZ-DFW-LAS, I see availability for both legs (two different options for the latter flight as well). Quick google flights search shows that for cash fares, they sell these flights as one itinerary.

If I book these legs separately, do I run any risks? The two options are 1 hour and 2 hour layover. Thank you!
Yes:

1. If you misconnect at DFW, AA is not obligated to re-accommodate you. However, AA does have an informal "flat-tire" rule for domestic flights, so AA would probably put you on the next same-day flight with available seats.

2. If you needed to cancel the trip, you would forfeit an additional $5.60 in fees because of the second ticket.

3. You would not be able to through-check baggage from YYZ to LAS with separate tickets. Any checked baggage would have to be claimed and re-checked at DFW, and you'd therefore have to clear TSA security at DFW if you checked baggage.

If you decide to pursue the two-ticket option, I would not plan to check a bag, and I would probably book the later DFW-LAS flight. If you arrived DFW on or close to schedule, AA would let you stand by (for free) for the earlier DFW-LAS flight.
vanilarice89 likes this.

Last edited by guv1976; Nov 9, 2023 at 6:40 pm
Old Nov 13, 2023, 1:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
I just booked flights to Singapore using an Amex BAPP companion voucher. Unfortunately I could not see availability directly from LHR to SIN on the dates I wanted (next March returning April) so I tried starting in NCL and managed to find flights. The trouble is I don't really want to return to NCL when I get back to LHR.

Since I am within the 24 hours of booking can I call BAEC and get them to drop the final LHR-NCL sector?
or
Since it makes no difference to the Avios used (I think the domestic sectors are not charged any Avios) can I simply tell BA check-in in Singapore that I want to collect my bags at LHR and not fly the final sector LHR-NCL
Old Nov 15, 2023, 1:10 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Originally Posted by AJA_
I just booked flights to Singapore using an Amex BAPP companion voucher. Unfortunately I could not see availability directly from LHR to SIN on the dates I wanted (next March returning April) so I tried starting in NCL and managed to find flights. The trouble is I don't really want to return to NCL when I get back to LHR.

Since I am within the 24 hours of booking can I call BAEC and get them to drop the final LHR-NCL sector?
or
Since it makes no difference to the Avios used (I think the domestic sectors are not charged any Avios) can I simply tell BA check-in in Singapore that I want to collect my bags at LHR and not fly the final sector LHR-NCL
Maybe you would prefer a trip to EDI instead? Though you would have to collect your bags at Heathrow and travel across London if you decided to fly from London City.

On an allied point, I too will be heading to EDI from LCY shortly after my return from SIN, however I would prefer to delay that trip if possible. Is there any likelihood I could defer the connecting flight until next year (paying 35 pp to do so) or does it have to be within 24 hours of arriving at LHR?
Old Nov 22, 2023, 3:38 pm

Programs: AP AS BA
Originally Posted by fbrdky
Three days ago, I had a phone conversation with a BA agent to finalized a Multi Carrier Award for August 2024. My credit card has been charged for the taxes and fees quoted but my Avios balance hasn't been touched. I did get an email with a ticket number and the reservation can be pulled up on both operating carriers' (not BA) website.
Did I win the lottery? Or is the IT system just slow?
Update: I had to add connecting segment to my journey so I had to call. After getting several less experienced agents who couldn't help, I finally got someone who could help me. She was very good and even spotted that my Avios weren't deducted so she "helped me" and properly deducted my account. I suppose I could've added the connecting segment as a new award and leave the previous ticket untouched and unseen. But I would not be protected in case of IRROPs. In the end, I'm OK with adding the segment and have my journey properly paid for instead of flying on a "stolen" ticket.
Old Nov 24, 2023, 6:03 pm

Programs: AA, BA, VS
New reward redemption chart?

I can't find an updated chart and when I tried a booking for Oct 2024, the rates seem very high. I was able to fit everything on Off Peak days and seeing almost 30% higher rates than what were this year.

Did BA make any announcement about significant increase in redemption rates?

Another odd behavior is that flights under 6500 miles are pricing at the same rate as flights over 6500 miles.

SFO-LHR and LHR-DEL both pricing at 90k miles each in CW on Off Peak flights. Perhaps this is a glitch. Never seen this before. Flight duration is as expected, 10.5-11.5 hours between SFO/LHR and about 8.5 hours between LHR-DEL.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 6:36 am

Hi, I have a question about general reward seat release - It's my understanding BA release a set number of WTP/CW seats on every flight? (4 x CW + ? WTP)

During Black Friday I signed up to Reward Flight Finder (Gold level so I get instant alerts) - I've set a couple of alerts up for high demand routes, T Minus 355 days out to test availability namely SYD and MLE.

Neither are triggering alerts for availability - So are BA not releasing flights for these designations or are they being snapped up before they even hit the Reward Flight Finder scrape?

Any ideas?
Old Nov 29, 2023, 6:42 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diam, Avis PC, Hertz 5*, PP
Originally Posted by Beergander
Hi, I have a question about general reward seat release - It's my understanding BA release a set number of WTP/CW seats on every flight? (4 x CW + ? WTP)

During Black Friday I signed up to Reward Flight Finder (Gold level so I get instant alerts) - I've set a couple of alerts up for high demand routes, T Minus 355 days out to test availability namely SYD and MLE.

Neither are triggering alerts for availability - So are BA not releasing flights for these designations or are they being snapped up before they even hit the Reward Flight Finder scrape?

Any ideas?
BA releases 8 economy, 2 WTP and 4 business seats on every LHR/LGW flight (the numbers are lower for LCY).

These get released at midnight UK time at T-355. On popular routes such as SYD and MLE the business seats will be snapped up within minutes if not seconds of release and since Reward Flight Finder only refreshes every 20 minutes to an hour (AFAIK) it is unlikely to see them.

You need to be on the phone with one of the overseas call centres at around 23:50 just before T-355 to have the best chance - this should allow enough time to pass through security and explain what you want. In case you get through too early, consider having a dummy query for something else to kill time! The call centres can hold the seats for you whilst you pay whereas if booking online, the seats aren't guaranteed until the transaction completes.

You may still be able to book after they have gone if you have an Amex 241 voucher, since this unlocks additional reward availability, which appears to be based on revenue I class availability. This often appears if beginning your journey at a regional UK airport, since BA has more competition from other airlines for passengers travelling from such airports. You do need to fly the first connecting leg to LHR (otherwise the rest of your booking will be cancelled) but on the return leg there is no penalty for dropping the last leg.
​​​​​​
Beergander, adobbing and m8_rotate like this.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 8:17 am

Thanks, I must say I've had no success calling overseas service centres, I've always been told I need to call UK when they open as they can't book UK reward seats.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 4:51 pm

I would like to book LHR-MAD-ATH all on IB metal using Avios. Flights are available for each flight when searched separately on the BA site but not when searched as a single journey. Is there any way to book this on one PNR? Thanks
Old Dec 1, 2023, 3:48 pm

I've had mixed results when calling in. One person said it wasn't possible, the second booked me immediately.
But some chance is better than the 0% chance you have on the website.
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2023, 10:01 am

Regarding trying to upgrade an existing Avios booking on JAL to a higher class, I understand that the process would basically be to call and have them cancel your reservation and rebook you (and you can try your luck with asking to waive the change fee).
I also understand that BA does not hold flights, so I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with say, calling the BA service centre to confirm a certain flight does indeed exist and is bookable, then during the call itself, to transfer your points and then have the agent book the flight? For Capital One points transfers to BA, it's very fast though a bit strange - the points instantly show up in my account in the overall balance summary, but when I look at a different part of my profile, the balance showed as 0 for maybe 5-10 minutes until reflecting the amount transferred, allowing me to book my flight. Hence, was thinking that might be possible and am wondering if anyone has done that in the past. Would just like to see if that is possible instead of transferring points prematurely and getting them stuck in BA. I have a JAL premium economy Avios booking for FUK-HNL and would like to try checking the T7-10 day window to see if any business seats open up.
Thanks in advance!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.