Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2022, 4:59 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I assume you qualify for RFS - ie earned avios in the last year?

Sometimes it bugs out and doesn’t show it. I have found if you go out and restart the search the RFS options should show.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
I assume you qualify for RFS - ie earned avios in the last year?

Sometimes it bugs out and doesn’t show it. I have found if you go out and restart the search the RFS options should show.
Ohhh. I have definitely earned avios but not sure if I earned by flight. Though I flew a couple weeks ago with Aer Lingus and I didn't have miles credited and I can't figure out how to get it to work with EI. It seems to be flown in a miles category that should give a few so... :/
Old Dec 5, 2022, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by Dan1113
Ohhh. I have definitely earned avios but not sure if I earned by flight. Though I flew a couple weeks ago with Aer Lingus and I didn't have miles credited and I can't figure out how to get it to work with EI. It seems to be flown in a miles category that should give a few so... :/
This morning it came up at 0.50p, but tonight I can't get it to show for under £28 again. Keep trying to trigger it but can't! Should have booked this morning.

Edit: got it, though it won't let me choose someone within my household instead of me to travel. All very buggy!
Old Dec 11, 2022, 10:12 pm

Question concerning a multiple partner award. I have a phl-bos-nrt-bkk (OJ)-hkt-doh-jfk award booked for January. The award was booked back in April for 200k avios when JAL taxes were fairly low. I unfortunately need to cancel the return leg (after NRT) because the dates don’t work for me anymore. I understand that the amount of avios will be recalculated, but how about the taxes? Will the whole award be repriced as well and will be on the hook for the new crazy expensive carrier charges (and therefore paying way more) for this modified multiple partner award?

thanks for the insight.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 2:11 am

Yes when you do a change taxes/fees/charges will be recalculated. However the recent changes to long haul rewards shouldn’t have any impact on multi partner rewards.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 7:00 am

My question was related to the taxes/YQ for JAL. When I booked back in April the taxes/YQ for the BOS-NRT segment on JAL were around 140$. Now the YQ for that segment is more than 600$…. Are you saying that even though I am not changing that segment of my award, they will recalculate the total Taxes and YQ with today’s « rate » for that segment anyways? Thanks.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by Bluetravels
My question was related to the taxes/YQ for JAL. When I booked back in April the taxes/YQ for the BOS-NRT segment on JAL were around 140$. Now the YQ for that segment is more than 600$…. Are you saying that even though I am not changing that segment of my award, they will recalculate the total Taxes and YQ with today’s « rate » for that segment anyways? Thanks.
yes that’s what I am saying. That is usually standard with any ba reward booking - when doing a change to one sector the TFC for the whole booking is recalculated at todays rates.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 10:13 pm

Programs: UAL - 2P
Originally Posted by coolc7116
Why does it appear that the same inventory of MilesAAver seats are not always available for redemption using Avios? For example, AA has plenty of Milesaaver award seats available between DFW and SEA. But if you check availability on BA's site, there are never any available. When I called BAEC and asked about this, the representative even laughed at me and said award seat availability isnt always the same. Any suggestions on how to identify which routes are the best to redeem Avios on American flights?
I few years ago, I was able to find AA domestic flights online pretty easily. Now I have had no luck -- multiple city pairs, dates, times -- I think there is a glitch in the system.
Old Dec 13, 2022, 6:46 am

If trying to book AA domestic flights, do you have to search each segment separately if there's a plane change? I don't see any availability when there is on AA for various mileage amounts
Old Dec 13, 2022, 9:49 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
I believe we are allowed to change or cancel/refund Avios and cash rewards correct? Is there any penalty? (I believe it's nominal). Any timeline to this (or can we do it up to a certain time)?
Old Dec 13, 2022, 9:50 am

Cancelling avios booking within 24 hours

I booked an Avios reward flight last night (30k Avios + £1) and have just send a request form to cancel it via Manage My Booking. I originally booked about 20 hours ago if that matters.

It was not clear what I would lose by cancelling. Can anyone clarify if all Avios will be returned to my account? Will there be any additional cost to pay? Thanks.
Old Dec 13, 2022, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by bernyx
If trying to book AA domestic flights, do you have to search each segment separately if there's a plane change? I don't see any availability when there is on AA for various mileage amounts
The "various mileage amounts" is the problem: The only AA flight itineraries that should be bookable with Avios are those that AA itself offers at the "MileSAAver" award level. For domestic (U.S.) travel, such an itinerary involving connections must price at exactly 12,500 AA miles in Economy to be bookable with Avios.

Aside from that, ba.com sometimes has trouble displaying available connections on AA. If you find a connection on aa.com that is offered as a MileSAAver award, but it does not show at ba.com, try giving BA a call.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 2:53 pm

I have an Avios reward flight on AA metal that just got cancelled (connecting flight) and auto rebooked (nonstop). The nonstop would have originally cost a lot fewer Avios, although there was no award availability when I booked (not available now either on BA.com). Am I due any partial Avios refund ?
Old Dec 18, 2022, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by leonidas
I have an Avios reward flight on AA metal that just got cancelled (connecting flight) and auto rebooked (nonstop). The nonstop would have originally cost a lot fewer Avios, although there was no award availability when I booked (not available now either on BA.com). Am I due any partial Avios refund ?
I doubt it. If you had booked the nonstop originally with Avios and then had to be re-accommodated on connecting flights, you would not be expected to pay extra Avios.

You might be entitled to a refund of the second passenger-facility charge (PFC) since you are no longer connecting, but that would only be a few dollars.
​​​​​
Old Dec 19, 2022, 8:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier 1K, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry
CAN I CANCEL THE RETURN OF AN AVIOS BOOKING?

I am currently in Lisbon. I'm on a RT avios ticket LAX-LHR-LAX that leaves 26 December in the middle of the industrial action by Border Force. My original itinerary had me flying LIS-LHR and overnighting at the T5 Sofitel but now with the Border Force strike I don't want to spend hours in a queue arriving and departing LHR.

Question: Can I cancel the return leg LHR-LAX of my avios ticket and redeposit the avios or change the date to March or April?

I've already booked my return from Lisbon on United with miles to avoid LHR.

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.