Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2022, 11:10 am

Programs: Everyone!
wow never realized the incredible pricing discrepancy you can sometimes get booking BA with AA. I was looking at BA operated 787 from BWI-LHR-AMS one-way in Premium Economy..........40K miles and $211USD using AA miles....whereas 69,750 miles and $281USD using Avios....so messed up
Old Dec 22, 2022, 11:53 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
they are different FFPs with difference currencies avios vs aa miles) and different conditions. why would you expect them to be the same?

it would be like saying all codeshares on the same flight must be the same price.
Old Dec 22, 2022, 12:02 pm

Programs: Everyone!
No I get the variables but didn't expect it to be so discrepant with the significant premium being on the operating carrier
Old Dec 23, 2022, 6:46 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by PGHflyer
wow never realized the incredible pricing discrepancy you can sometimes get booking BA with AA. I was looking at BA operated 787 from BWI-LHR-AMS one-way in Premium Economy..........40K miles and $211USD using AA miles....whereas 69,750 miles and $281USD using Avios....so messed up
I've seen the reverse as well. So it pays to check both airlines before redeeming
Old Dec 25, 2022, 11:21 pm

Using BRUV Voucher

Hi Guys,

I want to use my barclays avios voucher for a late 2023 flight. The outward leg is available now (bus) but not yet the return. Is it possible to book the 1 leg using the voucher and then the return later on using the same voucher ?

Cheers,
​​​​​​N
Old Dec 27, 2022, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Is it possible to book a multi-city itinerary with Avios on ba.com, depending, of course, on reward availability ?

For example, this November we would like to travel New Orleans - LHR - Barcelona and then return several weeks later Lisbon - LHR - New Orleans, hopefully in CW on the transatlantic legs.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old Dec 27, 2022, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by jlemon
Is it possible to book a multi-city itinerary with Avios on ba.com, depending, of course, on reward availability ?

For example, this November we would like to travel New Orleans - LHR - Barcelona and then return several weeks later Lisbon - LHR - New Orleans, hopefully in CW on the transatlantic legs.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Are you looking to stop over in LON in either direction, or just connect there? In any case, you might save some money by booking two separate awards: MSY-BCN, and LIS-MSY, as carrier surcharges ex-U.S. can be higher than ex-E.U.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by guv1976
Are you looking to stop over in LON in either direction, or just connect there? In any case, you might save some money by booking two separate awards: MSY-BCN, and LIS-MSY, as carrier surcharges ex-U.S. can be higher than ex-E.U.
While a stop over in London would be nice, we were hoping to just connect via Heathrow in both directions. And BTW, I am seeing one way reward availability on ba.com on the preferred date of our outbound journey MSY - LHR - BCN in CW/CE with 220K Avios required for both of us.

What I have been unable to ascertain on ba.com is whether there might be a better deal, Avios-wise, for a multi-city redemption with a LIS - LHR - MSY return.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by jlemon
While a stop over in London would be nice, we were hoping to just connect via Heathrow in both directions. And BTW, I am seeing one way reward availability on ba.com on the preferred date of our outbound journey MSY - LHR - BCN in CW/CE with 220K Avios required for both of us.

What I have been unable to ascertain on ba.com is whether there might be a better deal, Avios-wise, for a multi-city redemption with a LIS - LHR - MSY return.
BA offers a special award chart for multi-carrier redemptions, utilizing at least two BA partners -- with or without BA flights. A Business Class multi-carrier redemption involving 10,001-14,000 flown miles would cost 180,000 Avios per person, plus taxes and carrier surcharges. A routing like MSY-MIA/DFW/ORD-MAD-BCN//LIS-LHR-MSY might work. But finding Business Class award seats on IB for the trans-Atlantic segment might prove challenging.

Multi-carrier redemptions cannot be booked online.
jlemon likes this.

Last edited by guv1976; Dec 27, 2022 at 3:13 pm
Old Jan 2, 2023, 7:53 am

Is it possible to book a two connecting flights, paying for one of them with Avios and the other with cash?

Eg. I am looking at several flights from JFK>LHR>ABZ and also JFK>LHR>GVA. There is rewards availability in all classes for JFK>LHR, but not for the shorter connecting flights to ABZ or GVA. I could book them separately but want the guaranteed through-ticket and may also check bags.

Does anyone know if it is possible to search/price or book these online? If not, are they bookable over the phone? I don't want to waste BA's time on the phone exploring options. In terms of pricing, would I be safe to assume the cost for the combined ticket would be the sum of the two individual flights (avios+fees & then the GBP cost of the second flight)? (If this is even possible...)
Old Jan 2, 2023, 8:24 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
No, you can’t combine a cash booking and an avios booking together on booking i am afraid.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 11:29 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Originally Posted by cagiva92
Is it possible to book a two connecting flights, paying for one of them with Avios and the other with cash? Eg. I am looking at several flights from JFK>LHR>ABZ and also JFK>LHR>GVA. There is rewards availability in all classes for JFK>LHR, but not for the shorter connecting flights to ABZ or GVA. I could book them separately but want the guaranteed through-ticket and may also check bags. Does anyone know if it is possible to search/price or book these online? If not, are they bookable over the phone? I don't want to waste BA's time on the phone exploring options. In terms of pricing, would I be safe to assume the cost for the combined ticket would be the sum of the two individual flights (avios+fees & then the GBP cost of the second flight)? (If this is even possible...)
Have you tried searching for JFK to ABZ or JFK to GVA as your starting and ending points? Or are you searching each leg separately? it is possible to book online. I just did a search and found reward flights ftom JFK via LHR to ABZ for 9 and 10 March.
If you enter JFK to ABZ then the website will ask you if you want a stopover in London. If you answer yes, then continue, it will give you availability on both legs. Just remember that the second leg will actually be on the following day, but the website defaults to giving flights on the same day. There is not massive availability but it is possible. So it depends how flexible you are with your travel dates.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 2:20 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Can anyone confim ex-EU pricing for UuA?

ARN - LHR - JFK - LAX - JFK - LHR - ARN

With the LHR - JFK / JFK - LHR in W the Matrix gives me:

Code:
Sweden Passenger Charge (YA) - £13.40
Carrier-imposed surcharge (YQ) - £149.40
Sweden Aviation Tax (LJ) - £21.00
United States APHIS Passenger Fee Passengers (XA) - £3.20
United States Customs User Fee (YC) - £5.40
United States Immigration User Fee (XY) - £5.80
US International Arrival Tax (US) - £35.00
United Kingdom Passenger Service Charge Departures (UB) - £59.86
United States Passenger Civil Aviation Security Service Fee (AY) - £9.20
US Passenger Facility Charge (XF) - £3.70
With the LHR - JFK / JFK - LHR in J the Matrix gives me:

Code:
Sweden Passenger Charge (YA) - £13.40
Carrier-imposed surcharge (YQ) - £353.60
Sweden Aviation Tax (LJ) - £21.00
United States APHIS Passenger Fee Passengers (XA) - £3.20
United States Customs User Fee (YC) - £5.40
United States Immigration User Fee (XY) - £5.80
US International Arrival Tax (US) - £35.00
United Kingdom Passenger Service Charge Departures (UB) - £59.86
United States Passenger Civil Aviation Security Service Fee (AY) - £9.20
US Passenger Facility Charge (XF) - £3.70
Looking at the differences in taxes/surcharges, the only different is on the YQ, which totals £204.20.

If I UuA both LHR - JFK and JFK - LHR, would I expect to pay 48,000 Avios (as it's off-peak) and £204.20 in total?
Old Jan 3, 2023, 5:45 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
MAN-BGI Aer Lingus

Any idea how you can redeem Avios and Companion voucher on Aer Lingus flights?

Have tried using the BA website to look at availability MAN - BGI which is operated as a direct flight by Aer Lingus.
All I get are indirect options via LHR then LGW, which I really don’t want to do!
Old Jan 3, 2023, 6:14 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold) , Accor (Gold) , IHG
Originally Posted by adobbing
Any idea how you can redeem Avios and Companion voucher on Aer Lingus flights?

Have tried using the BA website to look at availability MAN - BGI which is operated as a direct flight by Aer Lingus.
All I get are indirect options via LHR then LGW, which I really don’t want to do!
when are you looking to travel?
Seems cash fares are only available from Nov 23

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.