Wiki Posts
Search

BA & Dubai

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2021, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by AAtticus
Any recommendations on where to book a test as a non resident? I will need to do one for travel on a Sunday. I'm guessing with Friday / Saturday closure of these centers only Thursday is possible to keep within the 72 hours?
Are you looking to book a test in Dubai? Emirates Specialty Hospital, which is 10 minutes from the airport, operates a 24/7 testing center. No appointment needed. Results within 24 hours.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 9:19 pm

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
Any recommendations on where to book a test as a non resident? I will need to do one for travel on a Sunday. I'm guessing with Friday / Saturday closure of these centers only Thursday is possible to keep within the 72 hours?
Many of the major hospitals have 24 hour testing, even on Friday/Saturday. I am currently in RAK and can get tested either at the hospital (24/7) or in the Mall (weekdays only). There are plenty of options - no issue being a non-resident apart from having to pay (which at least is relatively cheap)

Total non-sequitur - I have a flight back to the UK in a couple of weeks and EK and BA business class is £1500 - £1600 GBP return
AAtticus likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2021, 1:26 am

Programs: QRPC Platinum, KFEG
Originally Posted by Blumie
Are you looking to book a test in Dubai? Emirates Specialty Hospital, which is 10 minutes from the airport, operates a 24/7 testing center. No appointment needed. Results within 24 hours.
Yes correct, I'm heading to Dubai this weekend but I also need a negative test for my onward journey. Thanks for the advice.

Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
Many of the major hospitals have 24 hour testing, even on Friday/Saturday. I am currently in RAK and can get tested either at the hospital (24/7) or in the Mall (weekdays only). There are plenty of options - no issue being a non-resident apart from having to pay (which at least is relatively cheap)
It's absolutely profiteering here in the UK..GBP120 for a swab and certificate. Good to know it's 24/7 so I don't have to worry about the weekend closures. Thanks for confirming.
Old Jan 23, 2021, 4:27 am

Yes correct, I'm heading to Dubai this weekend but I also need a negative test for my onward journey. Thanks for the advice.

It's absolutely profiteering here in the UK..GBP120 for a swab and certificate. Good to know it's 24/7 so I don't have to worry about the weekend closures. Thanks for confirming.
It definatly is profiteering, recently at a parliment hearing, the NHS pays £15-45 for a test, now they have scale, assume its £45-65 is private cost, centres charging £120+ still making more profit
Old Jan 23, 2021, 5:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond

Total non-sequitur - I have a flight back to the UK in a couple of weeks and EK and BA business class is £1500 - £1600 GBP return
I didn't look too closely as it wasn't required, but when I was at the Hilton in RAK I saw a poster saying the RAK tourism board were offering free COVID tests for tourists before they go home. Might be worth checking out..
ENTP likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2021, 5:56 am

Programs: BA GGLfL, ex-EK IO, IC Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador, Amex Centurion
Arrived in Dubai this morning and was forced to take another PCR test. They are testing all people arriving from China, UK, etc. Top tip: Book Marhaba and jump the queue.
HFHFFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2021, 9:17 am

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Schwann
I didn't look too closely as it wasn't required, but when I was at the Hilton in RAK I saw a poster saying the RAK tourism board were offering free COVID tests for tourists before they go home. Might be worth checking out..
Yes, thanks, I did see that but I think the offer ended Dec 31st. Also, you had to give your Hotel info and I am in an AirBnB so not sure if that would have worked.

BTW, I arrived in Dubai mid-Dec and was on my way to Saudi before they closed the border (it's open now). According to most sites, if you enter Dubai as a UK tourist you get the normal 30 day tourist visa on arrival and you can extend by 30 days (twice). I managed to get a tourist extension for 90 days (for the same cost as two 30's and obviously you only have to do it once). The firm I used also took care of the sponsoring which other companies would not do.
Old Jan 23, 2021, 11:43 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
I managed to get a tourist extension for 90 days (for the same cost as two 30's and obviously you only have to do it once). The firm I used also took care of the sponsoring which other companies would not do.
could you provide details of this and the company? i may need to do the same as im also currently here in DXB
Old Jan 23, 2021, 9:35 pm

I PM'd you the details
modularmayhem likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2021, 11:01 pm

All tourist visa's (including UK 30 day tourist visa on arrival) were extended automatically once, with an expiry date of 27th January.

You can check the expiry date of your visa on this link: https://smartservices.ica.gov.ae/ech...#/fileValidity

I called to see what to do to extend my visa again, and was told better to wait until the end of the week. I'm in Dubai, so the easiest way for me would be to go to the airport and do it there. However I think we will head home.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 12:47 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
I'm flying out this weekend (yes for work) and somehow can't shake the feeling it's only going to get worse in terms of restrictions and controls.
Hopefully I can get out in time and into the UAE as I'm using this trip also as my 14 days outside the UK to be able to return to Singapore after.
And then hope that Singapore doesn't ban UAE by early February. Travelling truly has become a gamble and stressful occupation.
I'm surprised how many people are still taking leisure travel when there is a lockdown in the UK and a global pandemic in full swing.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 1:14 am

Originally Posted by ANstar
I'm surprised how many people are still taking leisure travel when there is a lockdown in the UK and a global pandemic in full swing.
How do you work out that this person is travelling for leisure ??

I am not and work overseas. I haven't been back in the UK for 5 months and I have to return to sort out various things that require me to be there in person. I'd rather not travel and it is pretty challenging trying to organise anything due to the ever changing restrictions - life cannot stop completely
ClubflyerLondon likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 1:16 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
How do you work out that this person is travelling for leisure ??

I am not and work overseas. I haven't been back in the UK for 5 months and I have to return to sort out various things that require me to be there in person. I'd rather not travel and it is pretty challenging trying to organise anything due to the every changing restrictions - life cannot stop completely
it’s wasnt directed at any one individual - just a general comment about leisure travel.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 10:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum

If you're staying near the airport, Al Garhoud Private Hopsital is about 2 minutes walk from the Millennium Airport Hotel (a bit longer from the Al Bustan and the Le Meridien Conference Centre as you have to get across a main road) and is on this list of accredited labs cribbed from Emirates website. There's also a Prime Medical Hospital next door to Le Meridien which may be offering tests - most of the Prime Medical locations seem to be doing so.

Outside of the 24/7 hospital locations most of the clinics are open long hours (e.g. 8am-9pm) and often 7 days a week so there are plenty of options. When I had to get tested recently I went to a place near the Deira Clock Tower on a non-appointment basis and it took longer to fill out the forms and pay (about £26) than the time I spent waiting for the actual test.
AAtticus likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 1:45 am

Programs: BA
Moving flights in hope for cancellation

I’d be really grateful for any advice here…

I have flights booked for my family of 4, departing 18th Feb and returning 5 days later. These were booked in the BA sale in November

We have given up hope of restrictions easing sufficiently for us to go on holiday, but no sign of BA cancelling the flights (we are booked on the 105 outbound and the 104 inbound – and it seems BA are cancelling the 107 and 106)

Instead of claiming the FTV, I’m considering moving our flights to the 107/106 combo in mid-March, when those flights are currently scheduled to restart again.

Do you guys think there is a strong chance BA will extend the strategy of cancelling those flights, and therefore putting me in the position of being able to claim a full refund?

Or, worst case, if I move them to March and BA don’t cancel, am I correct in assuming I’d be in exactly the same position as I am now – in that I’d be able to claim a FTV anyway?

Based on your advice, I may call up BA ASAP, to get in on those March 107/106 flights before BA cancel them.

Final thought – would you guys agree that BA are unlikely now to cancel our February 105/104 flights, as passenger loads continue to be high despite restrictions?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.