Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA & Dubai

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2021, 7:51 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Originally Posted by CirrusDesAigles
Ek29 landed after 30 mins the deadline fine.

EY17 is due to land at Heathrow at 5:25pm so we might find out if that was allowed as a one off or if they'll turn a blind eye today! If they let it land then they'll be procesed as normal but be interesting to see if they make it divert.
There might not be passengers on it of course. Also possible no one has told BF that the rules have changed. It is hard to imagine it being turned away in any case. I do not think it would have departed if that were a risk.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 7:57 am

Programs: BA Silver
Seems EY are still selling tickets for LHR-AUH over the coming days. It's possible they've taken the commercial decision to fly empty planes to London and take paying pax on the way back to AUH. Would anyone happen to know if one can enter AUH without quarantining for 10 days? The FCO and various official pages are a little unclear, although that may be me not being very bright! BA and EK are no longer selling tickets for LHR-DXB so they're definitelt cancelling both ways, even if the regulations appear only to prohibit UAE-UK.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 7:58 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
Limited sympathy though as we were warned that travel at this time in a global pandemic does have risks attached and we saw that with countries being added to the quarantine list at little or no notice.n

Now is going to be no different apart from instead of home self isolation it will be managed hotel quarantine that people will be trying to avoid.
+1 - zero sympathy, this has been coming down the track for a good few weeks but some people chose to max out their holiday and have now been burnt by not being able to return ahead of the cutoff.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 7:58 am

Programs: HH Diamond, BAEC Gold (OWE)
Originally Posted by CirrusDesAigles
Ek29 landed after 30 mins the deadline fine.

EY17 is due to land at Heathrow at 5:25pm so we might find out if that was allowed as a one off or if they'll turn a blind eye today! If they let it land then they'll be procesed as normal but be interesting to see if they make it divert.
I'm assuming this would have been clarified prior to the plane taking off? They surely wouldn't have allowed the flight to leave otherwise.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 8:07 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Originally Posted by londonba2014
+1 - zero sympathy, this has been coming down the track for a good few weeks but some people chose to max out their holiday and have now been burnt by not being able to return ahead of the cutoff.
I don't give two hoots about people taking the proverbial mick out the current situation but i've got vast sympathy for the travel companies that have to deal with the consequences of legitimately booked business travellers, family emergencies and long stay travellers that neither sought to breech the guidelines or would actively have returned given half the chance, especially if they refuse to book anyone against guidelines. It's a never ending palavar of desperately trying to bring in cash to survive whilst adhering to the law, and dealing with the consequences of 16 hour notice periods whereas making the announcement a couple of days earlier would have allowed anyone to get home. Now? We've thousands of displaced people who will still come home, just taking double the number of flights, being in contact with double the amount of people, and in the riskiest of circumstances. Closing the worlds busiest air route with enough notice for only 2 flights to depart those trying to get back in time simply puts many more people at risk (although i'm glad to hear that a couple of extra EK flights are seemingly arriving).
Dave_C, DaveS and esledo like this.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Sam Bee
Spoke to a Tour Op friend who had 100 clients (legitimately) in Dubai or due to transit there that they need to sort out. In between the tears he's furious about the lack of notice on the worlds busiest air route.. All to seemingly punish a few Instagram influencers. 48 hours notice would have made a huge difference to people's lives.
Some people may scream and shout, but I'm fairly sure everyone travelling now is well aware of the risks and potential to get stranded, with additional costs to get home if required. I am not sure a small number of instagrammers are to blame, but more the thousands of tourists that were arriving each day.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 10:34 am

Dubai cancelled on BA till April 16?

I've a return to Dubai around Easter to see family out there (I'm not an influencer!), and I'm resigned to it being cancelled whether or not Dubai stays on the 'red list'.

I've not had any notification of a cancellation but I can see BA is now not selling any tickets to Dubai till 16 April.

Do the experts here think:

- this means all flights are cancelled and we will soon get a notification to say so;
- or is BA just not selling any new tickets on these flights and keeping a watching brief, so may or may not cancel them depending on Government policy?
Old Jan 29, 2021, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by goonerflyer
Do the experts here think:
- this means all flights are cancelled and we will soon get a notification to say so;
- or is BA just not selling any new tickets on these flights and keeping a watching brief, so may or may not cancel them depending on Government policy?
It could be either, but as these flights are so far away I would personally think it more likely that BA is doing the latter at present.
goonerflyer likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 11:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by Dijonspurs
Seems EY are still selling tickets for LHR-AUH over the coming days. It's possible they've taken the commercial decision to fly empty planes to London and take paying pax on the way back to AUH. Would anyone happen to know if one can enter AUH without quarantining for 10 days? The FCO and various official pages are a little unclear, although that may be me not being very bright! BA and EK are no longer selling tickets for LHR-DXB so they're definitelt cancelling both ways, even if the regulations appear only to prohibit UAE-UK.
Makes you wonder if this could have any impact on resolving the issues between UAE and Qatar to open up an alternative, not massively inconvenient routing.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 11:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tuonopepper
Makes you wonder if this could have any impact on resolving the issues between UAE and Qatar to open up an alternative, not massively inconvenient routing.
With a better product to boot
tuonopepper likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 11:09 am

Programs: BA Silver
I thought they had already resolved their differences! QR have started AUH/DXB flights from DOH so they are available as connections from LHR but prices are high over the coming days. If I can't get comfort over entry restrictions to AUH i'm going to do LHR-BAH on BA and then GF/EK onto DXB. May have misunderstood your post though so apologies if I have!
tuonopepper likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 11:15 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by tuonopepper
That's all been resolved anyway. Flights between DXB & DOH restarted a couple of weeks back.
tuonopepper likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 11:42 am

Programs: BA GOLD
Reports are coming in that QR have suspended the acceptance of new bookings from Dubai and AUH for the next 7 days - including for any travellers in UAE attempting to book travel via DOH in order to reach the UK. Just trying to get confirmation about this.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 11:44 am

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
I guess Qatar doesn't want to be added to the naughty list.

Brighterside likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 12:08 pm

QR is in quite difrrent situation than Emirates and Etihad

they dont have tourist in Qatar because of emtry restrictions
so They shouldnt be on red list but this suspension on new bookings from UAE is good decision...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.