Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA & Dubai

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2021, 4:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by ClubflyerLondon
for all the talk of influencers who i agree are below contempt decisions like these have real world impact not just interms of disruption to the traveller, I was due to fly on Sunday to hold in person negotiations to establish a new joint venture which would of created 150+ high paying tech jobs as well as additional support staff. this will now be deferred and the project delayed
See now this i would class as essential travel but then equally falls in the category does it *REALLY* have to happen now. Thanks to the project team for being responsible in deferring it and hope it comes to fruition soon. It’s actions such as this would make them my go to company in the future for their professionalism and responsiveness.
ClubflyerLondon likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 4:13 am
Suspended

Picking back up on the earlier conversation regarding police checks at the terminal and being "directed" back home, Sky reporting that NPCC has said police will not stop holidaymakers from leaving. They will fine those in the airport who don't have a reasonable excuse to be there but otherwise, leaving the country or not is a Border Force issue. Will be interesting how that plays out.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 4:24 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Unfortunately that NPCC spokesperson does not understand the law and powers they have.

It is clear police have powers to direct you to return home, and as mentioned in this thread and elsewhere that has been happening.

Last edited by KARFA; Jan 29, 2021 at 4:29 am
Old Jan 29, 2021, 5:11 am

Originally Posted by ClubflyerLondon
for all the talk of influencers who i agree are below contempt decisions like these have real world impact not just interms of disruption to the traveller, I was due to fly on Sunday to hold in person negotiations to establish a new joint venture which would of created 150+ high paying tech jobs as well as additional support staff. this will now be deferred and the project delayed
But social media influencing creates 150+, often high paying jobs for other sections of society. Your project is as unimportant to me as social media influencing, so I’m not buying the idea that they’re “below contempt” and you’re not.

I have no interest in social media influencers, but you only have to see how many followers some of these people have to realise that for some brands, it is important marketing. One of the biggest sponsors of social media influencing, Boohoo, has annual revenue around Ł1 billion and has increased its customer base by almost 500% since 2013 largely due to its social media presence. It’s no different to companies recording adverts during the pandemic.

The real reason there is so much contempt for social media influencers is, of course, jealousy. People making a career without very little “traditional” talent, or the hard years of university/career building behind them, the fact they’re in the sun and warmth of Dubai whilst the majority of us are stuck in the depths of Winter in the U.K., and of course jealousy over people making a success from good looks that the majority of people don’t have, or the physique that the majority of people can’t be bothered to achieve.

As a scratch golfer, I’m watching the European Tour golf in Dubai from my sofa, completely jealous that I’m not even able to hack around my local mud bath course, let alone get paid a large sum of money to play there. However, they’re providing me with 4 mornings of entertainment on an otherwise mundane January lockdown weekend, much like social media influencers provide entertainment to a large number of, mainly, young girls all over the world, whether you agree with it or not. Do social media influencers think a golf tournament is an essential reason to be in Dubai? Probably not.

Not expecting to win a popularity contest here, but I think balance and fairness is important. Just because you don’t agree with it, doesn’t mean it’s wrong.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 5:22 am

Received the cancellation email from BA for DXB -> LHR, to depart next Sunday, just after 11am. No alternatives given in the email and ba.com only showing a credit option, however when calling to request a cash refund the agent mentioned they are rebooking customers onto LH via Frankfurt. 10 hour layover though - cash refund taken.
alex67500 likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 5:31 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by drivingforce
Received the cancellation email from BA for DXB -> LHR, to depart next Sunday, just after 11am. No alternatives given in the email and ba.com only showing a credit option, however when calling to request a cash refund the agent mentioned they are rebooking customers onto LH via Frankfurt. 10 hour layover though - cash refund taken.
Many thanks for that update, I am sure some people will find that useful. For revenue / commercial tickets I can see there is also provision for rebooking on to Qatar flights under QR flight numbers, and redemptions can be rebooked under a BA codeshare on QR (and I'm guessing Lufthansa, but I don't know for sure). Welcome to Flyertalk drivingforce.
alex67500 and DaveS like this.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 5:50 am

Programs: QRPC Platinum, KFEG
Originally Posted by drivingforce
That's good to know. My colleague's flight on BA DXB-LHR early February was cancelled now too.
He had a cash fare, premium economy and will be asking to be rebooked on QR.
Would there be any refund due as QR does not offer PE? Seems like an involuntary downgrade in this case?
Old Jan 29, 2021, 5:52 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
So, will it make it in by 13:00?

https://www.flightradar24.com/BAW104/26b10639
Old Jan 29, 2021, 6:00 am

Programs: BA GOLD
104 DXB-LHR touched down 1258 - made it ny the skin of its teeth - well done the crew

Wonder how orderly disembarcation will be
VSLover, Sam Bee, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 6:01 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Brighterside
104 DXB-LHR toucheddown 1258 - made it ny the skin of its teeth - well done the crew
I was tracking it. Half of me wanted it to land in time, the other half didn't!! just got in.
VSLover likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 6:06 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
We all know that a few minutes wouldn't have made the difference, but what technically could have happened to those on board?

Spoke to a Tour Op friend who had 100 clients (legitimately) in Dubai or due to transit there that they need to sort out. In between the tears he's furious about the lack of notice on the worlds busiest air route.. All to seemingly punish a few Instagram influencers. 48 hours notice would have made a huge difference to people's lives.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 6:08 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Nothing really to those onboard, they would be processed at the border as normal.

At the end of the day the prohibition is against the operator from operating passenger flights, rather than a prohibition on passengers themselves. It would be BA who would be in trouble.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 6:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by Sam Bee
We all know that a few minutes wouldn't have made the difference, but what technically could have happened to those on board?

Spoke to a Tour Op friend who had 100 clients (legitimately) in Dubai or due to transit there that they need to sort out. In between the tears he's furious about the lack of notice on the worlds busiest air route.. All to seemingly punish a few Instagram influencers. 48 hours notice would have made a huge difference to people's lives.
Sounds like your friend has a tricky weekend ahead. Limited sympathy though as we were warned that travel at this time in a global pandemic does have risks attached and we saw that with countries being added to the quarantine list at little or no notice.n

Now is going to be no different apart from instead of home self isolation it will be managed hotel quarantine that people will be trying to avoid.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by AAtticus
That's good to know. My colleague's flight on BA DXB-LHR early February was cancelled now too.
He had a cash fare, premium economy and will be asking to be rebooked on QR.
Would there be any refund due as QR does not offer PE? Seems like an involuntary downgrade in this case?
It may have been why I was offered the Lufthansa alternative, as I was booked in WTP/premium economy on a cash fare also. I had independently booked a new ticket on Air France last night anyway to get ahead of a rush for other carriers, so didn't press further on Qatar or other rebooking options etc. as I wasn't seriously considering it, was mostly interested in an efficient cash refund.
AAtticus likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by Sam Bee
Ek29 landed after 30 mins the deadline fine.

EY17 is due to land at Heathrow at 5:25pm so we might find out if that was allowed as a one off or if they'll turn a blind eye today! If they let it land then they'll be procesed as normal but be interesting to see if they make it divert.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.