Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA & Dubai

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2021, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by KSVVZ2015
Is this really just to appease the UK? Because it would seem that the UK Gov website specifically tells people in red list countries to look at indirect options to get home.
For what it's worth it might be one of these four (please bear in mind that, when talking about Qatar Airways, I consider them as being a state-owned organisation so QR = Qatar gov't)
1. They are following the herd in panicking
2. There are substantial risks coming from the UAE
3. They want to stick it up to the UAE (let us not forget the unilateral GCC blockade of Qatar, of which the UAE were part, which ultimately failed)
4. They know it's just a question of time before the UK and other countries realise that people are doing a lot of transit traffic through DOH and they don't want that revenue stream gone.

My money is on 4.
DaveS likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2021, 12:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 13901
For what it's worth it might be one of these four (please bear in mind that, when talking about Qatar Airways, I consider them as being a state-owned organisation so QR = Qatar gov't)
3. They want to stick it up to the UAE (let us not forget the unilateral GCC blockade of Qatar, of which the UAE were part, which ultimately failed)
4. They know it's just a question of time before the UK and other countries realise that people are doing a lot of transit traffic through DOH and they don't want that revenue stream gone.

My money is on 4.
I think you are correct. Though its overly simplistic thinking. If someone leaves CPT, DXB, JNB, etc. and connects through DOH - the fact they connected through DOH is irrelevant for the red list and hotel quarantine. Now, QR could be worried that the thought there are a lot of such people on the plane potentially contaminating others from other destinations is possible (though slightly against all their safe flying ads )
Old Jan 30, 2021, 12:38 am

Programs: M&S Elite+

My money is on 4.
I will go with 3, 4 and quite a lot of 1.
Old Jan 30, 2021, 2:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by GumshoeW12
Not an official source but this post suggests Germany has just banned flights to/from the UK.
From my understanding they are still allowing transit flights! But happy to be corrected if I’m wrong as it is all getting very confusing!

Last edited by Prospero; Jan 30, 2021 at 6:20 am Reason: Repair quotation frame
Old Jan 30, 2021, 4:12 am

Programs: Skywards Silver

My money is on 4.
Definitely 1 & 4 - QR only a few weeks ago announced with their usual understatement that they are the “international leading airline in Africa” so they really should be worried now getting on the UK’s radar.
Old Jan 30, 2021, 7:44 am

Programs: QRPC Platinum, KFEG
Is BA actually allowing rebooking on Gulf Air for the DXB-BAH route? My colleague is getting nowhere with the BA agent on this. They're saying:

- Not willing to rebook on Gulf air segment

- Make your way to Bahrain yourself, no connection protection, no refunds for own bookings to Bahrain, just a reticketing to BAH-LHR
OR
- 10h layover in Frankfurt with the chance that Germany will ban travel to and from UK by then.
Old Jan 30, 2021, 8:06 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by AAtticus
- 10h layover in Frankfurt with the chance that Germany will ban travel to and from UK by then.
This is BA's current remedy, and transit is currently allowed. If Frankfurt gets stopped then Swiss may be the next calling point. I'm not aware of a Gulf Guideline for DXB, it is the sort ot thing that takes a week to organise, but those on tickets issued in UAE will probably find the cost of a refare to DXB-BAH-LHR to be minimal. In the other direction, perhaps less so. Overall it may be better to get a refund and self rebook, but as ever the specific details matter.
Old Jan 30, 2021, 8:12 am

Programs: QRPC Platinum, KFEG
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
This is BA's current remedy, and transit is currently allowed. If Frankfurt gets stopped then Swiss may be the next calling point. I'm not aware of a Gulf Guideline for DXB, it is the sort ot thing that takes a week to organise, but those on tickets issued in UAE will probably find the cost of a refare to DXB-BAH-LHR to be minimal. In the other direction, perhaps less so. Overall it may be better to get a refund and self rebook, but as ever the specific details matter.
Thank you C-W-S.
Also, the agent wanted to pressure my colleague in flying the LH flight on the 5th because she said "there will be a hotel quarantaine for the UAE from the 6th of February onwards".
Not sure if it was incorrect rumours, information that isn't public yet or just full on lies.

Last edited by AAtticus; Jan 30, 2021 at 8:18 am
Old Jan 30, 2021, 8:15 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by AAtticus
Not sure if it was incorrect rumours, information that isn't public yet or just full on lies.
Informed rumours I would say. HMG will do it by then if it could, it is getting more nimble, possibly, but mid February seems more realistic. As noted upthread, my advice is to go sooner if you want to avoid 10 nights in a Slough Travelodge.
AAtticus likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2021, 8:22 am

I booked a one-way flight from DXB to LHR via BAH using a combination of GF/BA last night at a pretty good price for a one-way fare. As mentioned above I couldn’t take the risk of extending my stay in DXB as the red list which they now belong to will be required for mandatory hotel quarantine when arriving back to the U.K. and could be announced and implemented in a pretty short timeframe.

I also think our Home Secretary will be eager to have hotel quarantine implemented ASAP to make an example out of the influencers returning from DXB given the comments she has made this week.

Last edited by oneworldglobetrotter; Jan 30, 2021 at 8:33 am
Old Jan 30, 2021, 8:41 am

I have no interest for Dubai (yes I’ve been there) and very little sympathy for the main type of clientele that travels there (my OH returned from a flight there where half the passengers refused masks and one bright man screamed and shouted about lack of social distancing but refused to wear a “face nappy”[sic]) but has HMG actually said why are the UAE added to the “red list”?
Old Jan 30, 2021, 9:04 am

The formal text is here:

Originally Posted by DfT
The government has today (28 January 2021) taken the urgent decision to ban travel to the UK from the United Arab Emirates (UAE), Burundi and Rwanda to prevent the spread of the new variant originally identified in South Africa into the UK.

More generally, NERVTAG on 13 January confirmed that B.1.351 isn't good news:
https://assets.publishing.service.go...of-concern.pdf
and called on HMG to review immigration controls and quarantine to restrict its entry (section 8).
Old Jan 30, 2021, 10:10 am

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
I have no interest for Dubai (yes I’ve been there) and very little sympathy for the main type of clientele that travels there (my OH returned from a flight there where half the passengers refused masks and one bright man screamed and shouted about lack of social distancing but refused to wear a “face nappy”[sic]) but has HMG actually said why are the UAE added to the “red list”?
Unless you have been swayed by what you read in the papers you may find the "main type of clientele" somewhat different to what you infer. Dubai is a (or the) hub for all of Middle East Africa and a fair bit of the Sub-continent. When I next try to go to the UK I will be leaving Riyadh with many fewer options than if I could transit Dubai and I would hope it is more for this reason that the UAE has been placed on the Red List, to stop the World's connecting passengers (with whatever they have) coming to the UK then to stop the (relatively) few influencers or actual UAE based people.
Old Jan 30, 2021, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The formal text is here:

More generally, NERVTAG on 13 January confirmed that B.1.351 isn't good news:
https://assets.publishing.service.go...of-concern.pdf
and called on HMG to review immigration controls and quarantine to restrict its entry (section 8).
CWS, the document (if you posted that in response to my post) doesn't reference the UAE though.

Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
Unless you have been swayed by what you read in the papers you may find the "main type of clientele" somewhat different to what you infer. Dubai is a (or the) hub for all of Middle East Africa and a fair bit of the Sub-continent. When I next try to go to the UK I will be leaving Riyadh with many fewer options than if I could transit Dubai and I would hope it is more for this reason that the UAE has been placed on the Red List, to stop the World's connecting passengers (with whatever they have) coming to the UK then to stop the (relatively) few influencers or actual UAE based people.
The 'hub for the world' logic fails when you consider that Doha and Istanbul also do a lot of transfer traffic, especially the former, have fairly elastic rules for transfers and aren't in the "red" list.
Old Jan 30, 2021, 11:11 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
Unless you have been swayed by what you read in the papers you may find the "main type of clientele" somewhat different to what you infer.
Yeah - it's like saying Majorca is full of beer swilling lager louts. Some parts may be, but most of it is fine.
DaveS likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.